Internet advice | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Internet advice

No, just lots and lots of pron :agave:
Pron? Your typing hand must be tired. ?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

That would be impossible to beat if you can get in on it

Who are you with right now? Rogers has amazing retentions offers periodically, keep an eye on redflagdeals

Currently have 250mbps unlimited for $47.50
Tried to get in on that deal...no dice.

Anyone that is thinking of becoming a new Rogers Customer, look at rfd for the Steve Deal.

There was another thread which I can't locate where someone was commenting about not putting modems in the basement. I understand that you are going to lose some distance if you do. But I am lost on how to connect my non wifi pc to it if I don't. I know it's probably quite obvious for some of you, but I am lost at this.

There was another thread which I can't locate where someone was commenting about not putting modems in the basement. I understand that you are going to lose some distance if you do. But I am lost on how to connect my non wifi pc to it if I don't. I know it's probably quite obvious for some of you, but I am lost at this.

Ethernet cable

Ethernet cable
So I have to snake an ethernet cable through the walls? Can I use cat5? I have that already pre wired.

So I have to snake an ethernet cable through the walls? Can I use cat5? I have that already pre wired.

Yup, you can use Cat 5.

You can also:
-Add Wifi to the PC (USB dongles are the easiest & you can come by them pretty cheap)
-Use powerline or coax networking adapters (what they sound like - puts the network over either the power wiring in your house, or the coax if it's not being used)

You could also put the "modem" downstairs and put a range extender upstairs, but that's probably the most expensive & least effective solution

Thanks @TwistedKestrel I will be setting up the modem this week. Will probably go the cat5 route. But the usb route may be easiest.

If you have cat5 running through why not. It should be the most reliable.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, bumping this thread for some more advice. I've had some issues, so I have yet to set up the computer. But now my son's old laptop will not connect to the internet. Specifically, it's saying that there isn't any networking hardware installed. How tf does that even happen? It was fine last week. Thanks for any help.

Did he upgrade to Windows 10, by any chance?

Tried to get in on that deal...no dice.

Anyone that is thinking of becoming a new Rogers Customer, look at rfd for the Steve Deal.

I'm on the 250 plan and paying $30 /mo. I didn't even ask for this deal but for some reason they are giving me a $50 credit on top of the promotional offer. I ain't complaining ;)

Did he upgrade to Windows 10, by any chance?
Nope. Win 7 enterprise that was installed after xp was wiped clean. Been working ok for past 6 months ish. Tried LAN same issue.

Nope. Win 7 enterprise that was installed after xp was wiped clean. Been working ok for past 6 months ish. Tried LAN same issue.

Go into Control Panel, change the view in the upper right corner to either small icons or large icons, then click on "System." Click on "Device Manager" in the upper left corner of the System window. Look for "network adapters" and/or "other devices." If there are exclamation marks showing there is either something wrong with the device, or its driver. Odds are you will have to reload the driver for the network adapter. Go to the manufacturer's website and download the most recent version for that notebook. Manufacturer's frequently make changes to the basic design of equipment that result in only their driver working properly.

Go into Control Panel, change the view in the upper right corner to either small icons or large icons, then click on "System." Click on "Device Manager" in the upper left corner of the System window. Look for "network adapters" and/or "other devices." If there are exclamation marks showing there is either something wrong with the device, or its driver. Odds are you will have to reload the driver for the network adapter. Go to the manufacturer's website and download the most recent version for that notebook. Manufacturer's frequently make changes to the basic design of equipment that result in only their driver working properly.
Will I be able to d/l driver onto a usb from my pc and then add it to his laptop, if that is what the issue is?

Did he drop the laptop and knock the card slightly out of its socket?
Check the software first, as it's easier, and more likely.

A Cat 5 cable is an Ethernet cable.

My modem is in the basement. I drilled a hole in the ceiling and the router is on the main floor, a 100 ft cable runs to another hole in the ceiling for a second router, since my bedroom wasn't getting a strong signal from the first router.

Back
Top Bottom