Internet advice | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Internet advice

This is my current speed with the reduction: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4711050132

That's also with my running four windows of my internet game, the wife surfing and the kids playing their MMO.

We are probably paying what your parents and you are. Rogers is loathe to give me that kind of deal, even though I was a long time customer.
Our cell phone plan comes up in a month or so, so we may completely divest ourselves of Rogers services.
Cogeco isn't in my area and your deal is $78 for 6 months.

I do regret that my wife gave up a $12 / month cell plan with Bell when they had their big billing fiasco.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4711101356

Not sure what you mean when you say "your deal is $78 for 6 months"

I do have other Cogeco services, namely TV.... and there is not a contract/term on the pricing. Got the package and discounts when TiVO first became available in my area.

I wasn't really suggesting any promotions for either one. Just it's really not that difficult to get better pricing from either provider (in my experience). YMMV of course.

I can see for some people it could be difficult, especially not wanting to stay on hold etc... I spend most of the day on the phone, and for me it's no issue calling and keeping the call going on in the background while I do work. Luckily only had to do it a couple times.

Last edited:
Not a fan of them throttling my connection. How much are you paying? The "deals" presented in this thread so far seem kinda lackluster (except the rogers retention's one). I have 120M / Unlimited for $60/month with Cogeco... Parents have 100M / Unlimited for $60 with Rogers.

C'mon Joe, don't be cheap. Get the 250 Meg package.... !

:lmao:
I'm not sure if I need all that speed. But if I can get a good deal....
Gonna see if Rogers will do that 100 for 60 like your parents have.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Unless you're planning on getting their top tier 100u or 250u service I would avoid Rogers. I actually signed up with Electronic Box at first because I liked their 50 mbps DSL plan. But then I cancelled when I found out about Rogers' ignite plans. Electronic Box customer service was really good in the short time that I dealt with them and they refunded my money right away.

Unless you're planning on getting their top tier 100u or 250u service I would avoid Rogers. I actually signed up with Electronic Box at first because I liked their 50 mbps DSL plan. But then I cancelled when I found out about Rogers' ignite plans. Electronic Box customer service was really good in the short time that I dealt with them and they refunded my money right away.
What does Rogers have that Ebox don't?

I have a grandfathered plan with Teksavvy. Alright so far. Most of those used modems for sale online are not supported by Teksavvy anymore. It's fine if you have them and are already a subscriber, but not if you're new.

I have a grandfathered plan with Teksavvy. Alright so far. Most of those used modems for sale online are not supported by Teksavvy anymore. It's fine if you have them and are already a subscriber, but not if you're new.

That's why you check the list.

FWIW, just about any ADSL2+ modem on the planet will work with TekSavvy's DSL. For cable it's more complicated, I think it's only modems that Rogers has whitelisted at some point (hence the list)

Thanks @Katapult, but it looks like I'm going to go the cable route.

Ended up going with Rogers. Couldn't get the 100 for $60. Was told that was a promo price and would be closer to $85.
Went with the 60/ 200gb option, as it was $4 more than my bell 6/95 gb that we have. Also finally moved to digital tv. Decided to save the $12 /month and not get the pvr. Like I need more tv time ?. All in with taxes is $140/month which is $9 more than I'm paying for substantially less. I also get a promo rate for 3 months and $100 credit after that. I have no problem with being in a contract for 2 years.
Thanks for the input everyone. I at least had a better idea of what I was looking for.
Oh, and if I find that the speed/gb is still not enough, I can go 100/ unltd for $10 more.

Ended up going with Rogers. Couldn't get the 100 for $60. Was told that was a promo price and would be closer to $85.
Went with the 60/ 200gb option, as it was $4 more than my bell 6/95 gb that we have. Also finally moved to digital tv. Decided to save the $12 /month and not get the pvr. Like I need more tv time . All in with taxes is $140/month which is $9 more than I'm paying for substantially less. I also get a promo rate for 3 months and $100 credit after that. I have no problem with being in a contract for 2 years.
Thanks for the input everyone. I at least had a better idea of what I was looking for.
Oh, and if I find that the speed/gb is still not enough, I can go 100/ unltd for $10 more.

Soon as the bill gets generated you just call back and say the 100M/Unlimited was supposed to be included in the price. :lmao:

Soon as the bill gets generated you just call back and say the 100M/Unlimited was supposed to be included in the price. :lmao:
I actually won't be able to, though. I've made it standard practice that I get an email outlining the conversation prior to ending the call for confirmation. Some say that can't do it. Others say that's what the interaction # is for. Then I relay the story of the time a Rogers rep promised me abc in a call, but when the bill was generated it wasn't there. They then forced me to stick with the plan or they would have charged me an insane cancelation fee. So I say emailed confirmation, or we don't go through with the service.
Yeah. I know. And I still went back to Rogers. Flame on, boys.

I actually won't be able to, though. I've made it standard practice that I get an email outlining the conversation prior to ending the call for confirmation. Some say that can't do it. Others say that's what the interaction # is for. Then I relay the story of the time a Rogers rep promised me abc in a call, but when the bill was generated it wasn't there. They then forced me to stick with the plan or they would have charged me an insane cancelation fee. So I say emailed confirmation, or we don't go through with the service.
Yeah. I know. And I still went back to Rogers. Flame on, boys.

Ah, I just record the calls. But whatever makes you comfortable at the end of the day.

Like I said previously, I have never had any issues with Rogers..... *knock on wood*

Went with the 60/ 200gb option, as it was $4 more than my bell 6/95 gb that we have. Also finally moved to digital tv. Decided to save the $12 /month and not get the pvr. Like I need more tv time . All in with taxes is $140/month which is $9 more than I'm paying for substantially less. I also get a promo rate for 3 months and $100 credit after that. I have no problem with being in a contract for 2 years.

Ouch, on that price. You must have a great job. Maybe that's why we're packing Rogers in a.s.a.p.
Just the cell phones to go and our two years is up in a month or two, I would have expected them to blitz us with offers by now,
but we must not be on their preferred sheep list.

Ouch, on that price. You must have a great job. Maybe that's why we're packing Rogers in a.s.a.p.
Just the cell phones to go and our two years is up in a month or two, I would have expected them to blitz us with offers by now,
but we must not be on their preferred sheep list.
Now you make me worry. I thought that was a decent price for tv and internet. And not sure if my job is great, but unfortunately it's not high paying ?.

Now you make me worry. I thought that was a decent price for tv and internet. And not sure if my job is great, but unfortunately it's not high paying ?.

I'm not even sure what TV channel packages go for nowadays. Been using OTA and am fairly happy...except when it's windy....rainy....or cloudy! LoL But then only CITYTV goes wonky all the other channels work.

In the end if you're comfortable with the price is all that matters, and that the kids are occupied.

Currently we pay $56 with CANINTER (tax in) and $9 for NETFLIX and that's it + an Android box for anything not with the other 2. Sure we don't get all the TV channels we never watch, but what we do watch is there anyway.

I'm not even sure what TV channel packages go for nowadays. Been using OTA and am fairly happy...except when it's windy....rainy....or cloudy! LoL But then only CITYTV goes wonky all the other channels work.

In the end if you're comfortable with the price is all that matters, and that the kids are occupied.

Currently we pay $56 with CANINTER (tax in) and $9 for NETFLIX and that's it + an Android box for anything not with the other 2. Sure we don't get all the TV channels we never watch, but what we do watch is there anyway.
My brother has been rocking ota for years. Loves it. Looked into caninter when you posted previously. Good deals and no modem rental fee. Maybe it's just became I find it easier with just one company to have my cc info

I'm with Teksavvy, activated zap the cap after getting close to 400GB last month, so far no speed issues, all is smooth.
As for TV, OTA antenna on the chimney, HDHomerun with Openelec(Kodi) on a Raspberry PI2, I have guide, PVR, the whole thing. Kodi is the best thing since sliced bread.

Who are you with right now? Rogers has amazing retentions offers periodically, keep an eye on redflagdeals

Currently have 250mbps unlimited for $47.50

Ghad damnit. I'm paying $60 for Ignite 60.. just signed up a few months ago.

250 Mbps downstream with no cap and terrible customer service ;). I see that Ebox now offers a 100 Mbps cable package though which is nice.
What are you doing running a hackimg server?

Back
Top Bottom