Internet advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Internet advice

Joe Bass

*probably eating right now*
Site Supporter
I'm thinking of going with TekSavvy as some here have suggested. They do not offer more than 1 dsl tier, so I am looking at cable. This is what I am considering >>uploadfromtaptalk1443648150138.jpg

I check email, surf, but my kids are all about YouTube (one is doing some videos), Skype and MineCraft. We have 2 phones, 2 tablets and 3 computers. Usually 3/4 devices running at once. Is this sufficient? And they show 3 different modems. I am clueless would appreciate some help. Laughs are okay as well. ☺

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Go play outside. Be back when the street lights come on.

15mbps can accomodate about 2 HD video streams at once. Skype, Minecraft and email combined might use about 1% of that. 1mbps up isn't much for uploading or streaming your own videos, but that might not be a big deal / consideration.

If anyone in the house is technically-minded, you might want to look for cable modems on Kijiji (they will probably say TekSavvy right in the ad). If you're not technically minded or not comfortable setting up your own router, you can ask them which one you'll need and they'll help you out. I should add that they WILL help you with a modem/router that you didn't buy from them, as long as its compatible with their service (there's a list here)

Look into Start communications. They are resellers of major isp with better packages and rates. I think teksavvy is reselling as well but for my eara the rates are not as good.

Thanks guys. Will look into both options a little more. I am going to also see what Rogers can do for me, as I have cable and mobile with them.

Who are you with right now? Rogers has amazing retentions offers periodically, keep an eye on redflagdeals

Currently have 250mbps unlimited for $47.50

Who are you with right now? Rogers has amazing retentions offers periodically, keep an eye on redflagdeals

That would be impossible to beat if you can get in on it

But you gotta call every year to get retentions. They rape you.

Try Electronic Box, Joe

Never seem to be raped.....

Rogers has a deal for 100 meg, unlimited bandwidth for $59.95 (1 year)

After a year, you either cancel, get another deal or move to Teksavvy for free.

Never seem to be raped.....

Rogers has a deal for 100 meg, unlimited bandwidth for $59.95 (1 year)

After a year, you either cancel, get another deal or move to Teksavvy for free.
Yeah but who can deal with these pirates? Hidden charges, you gotta pay them to send you a bill.

I've washed my hands clean of them. Even changed from cable to dsl

But you gotta call every year to get retentions. They rape you.

Try Electronic Box, Joe
What's that?
Edit: weren't available last year in my area iirc. Will call them today.

Was with Rogers, then Bell offered me FREE Internet for a year. No strings attached. The year is now over, so looking for best value.
That would be impossible to beat if you can get in on it
I will try. I love to haggle. Someone in another thread joked that I would haggle the price of a call with a pay phone.

Last edited:
I went with CANINTER after I weighed the options of staying with Rogers or going with TekSavvy. Turned out to be a great option for me and I never go over the allowable bandwith:

http://caninter.net/

When I called Rogers once my contract was up they upped the price and refused any type of deal for retention of my money with their company. So I said the hell with that and I gave up both TV and internet within 1 month of the contract expiry.

The last time I heard about a Rogers deal, the person went on and on about how nobody else could get it.

I have Teksavvy and they're good. We did the Zap the Cap thing with 30 which cuts the internet speed in half 8 pm - midnight and gives unlimited.

There isn't ever a speed issue, unless there's some kind of major hardware problem down the line.

Thats with 3 kids playing League of Legends, watching a show on Netflix, and someone else surfing. Also kids have youtube going in the background for music while they play. Half speed is around 15.

If you cancel Cable when you have another cable internet provider, let Rogers know or they'll turn off both.

Last edited:
Need to call Caninter.net next. Electronic box has 30/10 cable w/ 1tb for $30 for 6 months, $53 thereafter. + $6 / month to lease modem, which I would probably go for, rather than buy it.
@rockerguy, do you have them? Their csr seemed decent.

I'm with Teksavvy (DSL) with 25 down 10 up with 400Gig per month. Got 2 kids who live on the Internet and the wife binge watches shows left and right....just under $50 a month....no complaints from the kids or about the service.

Need to call Caninter.net next. Electronic box has 30/10 cable w/ 1tb for $30 for 6 months, $53 thereafter. + $6 / month to lease modem, which I would probably go for, rather than buy it.
@rockerguy, do you have them? Their csr seemed decent.

I recently have them installed. They are based in Quebec, so you get a Canadian on the line. They are cheap. If you refer someone, you get a dollar off your monthly bill. Let me know if you want to help a brother out, lol.

The drawback, their customer support wasn't top notch for me. They rushed me off the phone & I had no clue how to set up a router on dsl. Me liking to fix things, I end up spending about 8 hrs in total in a week until I finally got it.

I used to be with teksavvy, ebox has a better deal. There's a deal to get $10 off your modem

I'm with Teksavvy (DSL) with 25 down 10 up with 400Gig per month. Got 2 kids who live on the Internet and the wife binge watches shows left and right....just under $50 a month....no complaints from the kids or about the service.
Was looking at that one, but in cable.

The last time I heard about a Rogers deal, the person went on and on about how nobody else could get it.

I have Teksavvy and they're good. We did the Zap the Cap thing with 30 which cuts the internet speed in half 8 pm - midnight and gives unlimited.

There isn't ever a speed issue, unless there's some kind of major hardware problem down the line.

Thats with 3 kids playing League of Legends, watching a show on Netflix, and someone else surfing. Also kids have youtube going in the background for music while they play. Half speed is around 15.

If you cancel Cable when you have another cable internet provider, let Rogers know or they'll turn off both.

Not a fan of them throttling my connection. How much are you paying? The "deals" presented in this thread so far seem kinda lackluster (except the rogers retention's one). I have 120M / Unlimited for $60/month with Cogeco... Parents have 100M / Unlimited for $60 with Rogers.

C'mon Joe, don't be cheap. Get the 250 Meg package.... !

:lmao:

Last edited:
Yeah but who can deal with these pirates? Hidden charges, you gotta pay them to send you a bill.

I've washed my hands clean of them. Even changed from cable to dsl

I must be the only person that has never had hidden charges or any shenanigans with Rogers.

I have accounts with Bell, Cogeco, and Rogers. Bell on the other hand...... sweet mother of god.

Not a fan of them throttling my connection. How much are you paying? The "deals" presented in this thread so far seem kinda lackluster (except the rogers retention's one). I have 120M / Unlimited for $60/month with Cogeco... Parents have 100M / Unlimited for $60 with Rogers.

C'mon Joe, don't be cheap. Get the 250 Meg package.... !

:lmao:
This is my current speed with the reduction: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4711050132

That's also with my running four windows of my internet game, the wife surfing and the kids playing their MMO.

We are probably paying what your parents and you are. Rogers is loathe to give me that kind of deal, even though I was a long time customer.
Our cell phone plan comes up in a month or so, so we may completely divest ourselves of Rogers services.
Cogeco isn't in my area and your deal is $78 for 6 months.

I do regret that my wife gave up a $12 / month cell plan with Bell when they had their big billing fiasco.

Back
Top Bottom