Advice on buying a bike with no M licence. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice on buying a bike with no M licence.

yardi

So someone asked me if they could buy a bike with no bike licence and register it in there name? He wants to surprise his wife with a bike to in courage her to get her M1 licence and start to ride and wants to put it in her name so it's officially hers. Does she need to get her M1 first to transfer the ownership into her name? Thanks

nope. Will not be able to insure and therefore plate though.

They can register it to their name as "unfit" then when she gets a license she can get it safetied, insured and plated

Could but it's pointless.

Buy the bike, put it in her name as "unfit". Tell her to study over the winter to get her M1 in the early spring. Then get her insurance and plate.
Having the bike in the garage (plated or not) will still be an incentive to get her M1.

That's really weird, what if she really doesn't like riding or not cut out for it?
Then he puts the bike on Kijiji at twice what he paid for it. we mock it in the stupidly over priced thread, and some fool over pays for it in the spring...lol

That's really weird, what if she really doesn't like riding or not cut out for it?
Big fight.

Bigger one after its sold for a fraction of what he paid.

Biggest if he keeps it.

Every once in a while you'll see somebody pushing the little lady into bikes. Sometimes you'll see them on the worst Japanese bikes like a CM185 or if upwardly mobile, wobbling on a Skirster behind a fat Hog. Sad, but hey, I'm single so what do I know?

Can anyone make a legal agreement on behalf of someone else without the other person's permission? Both the purchase agreement and insurance policy are legal agreements. I know it's been done but iffy.

Depends on which service ontario you visit. Definitely the ownership could be changed to a new owner as "fit, unplated" and then just add insurance to get the plate at the appropriate time. BUT if the new owner is not present to sign off, it may not get completed. You could try using the form that dealerships fill out for this purpose, not sure what the result would be. I've managed it once for someone that was not present, but I think it was more luck and circumstance than skill or knowledge.

I like how everyone has that one friend who doesn't use the internet.

Every once in a while you'll see somebody pushing the little lady into bikes. Sometimes you'll see them on the worst Japanese bikes like a CM185 or if upwardly mobile, wobbling on a Skirster behind a fat Hog. Sad, but hey, I'm single so what do I know?

That's what I'm guessing. Silly for the person to 'force' her into a hobby that she may/not like. *shrugs*

Bought her a butt plug last year.

Huh?

Can anyone make a legal agreement on behalf of someone else without the other person's permission? Both the purchase agreement and insurance policy are legal agreements. I know it's been done but iffy.

Don't think so.

He can always purchase the bike in his name and give it to her as a gift anyway. Lots of couples purchase a vehicle in only one spouse's name. When she starts to ride, she'd automatically have to be insured on one of the bikes as primary rider. My wife took over my Virago when I bought my Bandit. Didn't see the point in paying the MTO to change the name on the ownership so we left it in my name.

If the bike he "surprises" her with is not brand new but rather a few years old and most of the depreciation has happened its a pretty safe gamble. If he buys it for her and she likes it, no problem. If he buys it for her (especially this time of year) and she doesn't want it, park it for the winter and sell in the spring for most or all of what he paid for it.

If he feels the need to buy it for her to surprise her,then I would just buy it and not register it until you know she wants it or is ready to ride. This way if she doesn't, you didn't waste your money paying the tax on the transfer and you can resell it.

Just sounds like a really bad idea. What if she hates the idea and wants no part in it?
You just bought a bike for no reason. Now you have to sell the bike.

What if you buy her a cruiser, and she wants a duel sport?

This is just crazy.

Can somebody buy me a car and give it to me?

Or better yet, I can give you my friends name, he needs a car more than I.

Last edited:
All the naysayers on here really make me wonder. I've ridden since I was 6 years old, my wife expressed her desire to learn. Four years ago, I surprised her with a used 250 ninja, she didn't know it was coming.
That spring she got her m1. She is now on her m2, close to her m and is looking for her next bike.
I kinda think the guy has some idea of what his spouse is/is not interested in. It's not like he wants to surprise a total stranger with a bike.

Back
Top Bottom