lane splitting | GTAMotorcycle.com

lane splitting

Im a pretty new rider with only 4 months of riding experience. I ride on the gardener and dvp everyday and i do lane split if traffic is going slower than 10ish km. I saw a few other riders doing this and few others that stays in the traffic flow (harley bikes usually). Do bikers usually do this or am i just an ***....? :S Let me know and ill change my riding habits.

I'll be that guy.

Lane filtering (moving to the front of the queue at a red light) and Lane Splitting (riding between marked lanes) are both illegal in Ontario. Also, our car drivers are bad enough, they also don't expect a motorcycle to be beside them in a lane. There are a plethora of tickets that can be written, one of the worst being a HTA 172 charge. Do it at your own risk.

Some do it, some don't. Some get caught, some don't. Your ride, do what you want. Just know the risks.

If you don't mind getting charged or getting hit by someone who doesn't check their blind spot(80%} of drivers imo then it's ok. Me personally, i wouldn't risk my life to shave off some extra wait time. Life is too precious in my eyes. But people do it and if you are going to, then be safe fellow rider.

Yes it is as has been pointed out illegal, but your a big person now, so you get to make your own decisions. Just be aware of the potential consequences of those decisions.

Another consequence that hasn't yet been pointed out IF a collsion occurs you will be found by your insurer to be at fault, you entered another vehicles lane, illegally. So increased premiums at best. Just went through it myself, I was riding in MY lane when a car road raged, (he decided I was going to slow as I approached a line up of staopped cars), tried to go around me, (single lane) hit my bike. He then fled the scene, reported to police and insurance that I was lane splitting and hit him then fled. My insurer advised I was being determined 50% at fault collision on my record. Unfortuantely for him I had a camera mounted on the bike clearly showed him in my lane and him fleeing. Insurer reversed their decision and he was declared 100% at fault.

Last edited:
Yes it is as has been pointed out illegal, but your a big person now, so you get to make your own decisions. Just be aware of the potential consequences of those decisions.

Another consequence that hasn't yet been pointed out IF a collsion occurs you will be found by your insurer to be at fault, you entered another vehicles lane, illegally. So increased premiums at best. Just went through it myself, I was riding in MY lane when a car road raged, (he decided I was going to slow as I approached a line up of staopped cars), tried to go around me, (single lane) hit my bike. He then fled the scene, reported to police and insurance that I was lane splitting and hit him then fled. My insurer advised I was being determined 50% at fault collision on my record. Unfortuantely for him I had a camera mounted on the bike clearly showed him in my lane and him fleeing. Insurer reversed their decision and he was declared 100% at fault.

It's unfortunate but it's come to it that if you're gonna ride in populated areas, have cameras pointing forward and back (on the bike obviously, don't attach too many things to your helmet).

It's unfortunate but it's come to it that if you're gonna ride in populated areas, have cameras pointing forward and back (on the bike obviously, don't attach too many things to your helmet).
Exactly what I have rear and front facing cameras on bike, (easier on a cruiser). Used to have the front facing on the helmet, until the courts began to convict for that.

Wow..we spent like 2-3 months without a splitting thread!

SO
I don't do it 98% of the time.

But there's that 2% of the time where splitting 5 cars will save me 5 minutes and i tend to do it. Especially when it's raining. (longer i am in the rain, the more chances i have of rain seeping through my waterproof layer).

Motorcycles get really angry when you lane split them, especially in a big SUV, I wouldn't do it.

Exactly what I have rear and front facing cameras on bike, (easier on a cruiser). Used to have the front facing on the helmet, until the courts began to convict for that.

Sorry, don't mean to pirate the thread, but what's this about helmet cams??

Sorry, don't mean to pirate the thread, but what's this about helmet cams??
There's a section in the hta that states that you cannot have anything protruding from your helmet. Iirc it was originally intended to prevent things like spikes being attached, but lately helmet cams and those helmet hawks have been ticketed as well. Some Bluetooth systems are ticketable as well.
Ok, the mohawks I agree with.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I dunno how to reply to this topic. I've never come across it before and am left a bit confused.

Lane split yesterday because I rode during rush hour (I never do) and didn't realize it. Went up to a red light and waved at the person behind me to thank them or apologize (take it for whatever they want). Person responds by giving me rude gestures and an ugly face. I flipped the bird and went on my way on the green.

I hate people. I'd rather take public transportation and play video games than deal with really stupid laws and angry drivers. Even if splitting wasn't illegal, you'd still have people who try to run you off the road for doing it.

My insurer advised I was being determined 50% at fault collision on my record. Unfortuantely for him I had a camera mounted on the bike clearly showed him in my lane and him fleeing. Insurer reversed their decision and he was declared 100% at fault.

In the past I would have considered dash-cams the province of Russians and the paranoid everywhere else. Recently events have certainly made me rethink that notion though. What gear are you running?

Im a pretty new rider with only 4 months of riding experience. I ride on the gardener and dvp everyday and i do lane split if traffic is going slower than 10ish km. I saw a few other riders doing this and few others that stays in the traffic flow (harley bikes usually). Do bikers usually do this or am i just an ***....? :S Let me know and ill change my riding habits.

Where consequences are concerned, I refer to this sticky thread, at the top of this section:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ate-of-the-law-in-Ontario-a-look-at-R-v-Bunda

In the past I would have considered dash-cams the province of Russians and the paranoid everywhere else. Recently events have certainly made me rethink that notion though. What gear are you running?
I have a GoPro 3+ hardwired for ongoing power, on the handlebars. Then I have a WASP camera, (which gives me about 75 minutes, due to battery) on the sissy bar

Back
Top Bottom