How's an impact ratchet supposed to work? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How's an impact ratchet supposed to work?

Mig21

Hi

I bought an Ingersoll Rand 1105MAX-D3 back in the winter, didn't really get a chance to use it until now.

I also have an IR impact wrench, which I have successfully used on many wheels this year.

I never used air tools before so I'm not sure if this is normal or not: if I try to remove a stubborn bolt with the ratchet - it doesn't impact, but just leaks air. Same for when I try to tighten a bolt reall well, it impacts/turns to the end and just stops, hisses the air out of the exhaust.

The wrench I use on the tires obviously doesn't work like that, it keeps impacting even when it's stuck, which I tought was the whole point.

Is this behaviour normal for an impact ratchet? Or should I get it replaced? I bought an IR because I thought they were supposed to be really good?

Thanks in advance.

It's not an impact ratchet. It's just an air ratchet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well to begin with: it is not an "impact" ratchet, it is an "air" ratchet.
An "impact" gun will hammer or "impact" the fastener as it rotates, an air ratchet just rotates.

Sounds like your air ratchet is working as it should.

...IR was a good brand.

Do you guys use an air ratchet to do the first loosening and final tightening with elbow grease, or do you use a separate tool for that?

Do you guys use an air ratchet to do the first loosening and final tightening with elbow grease, or do you use a separate tool for that?

Depends what you are doing. if you are building assemblies the air ratched is good. if you are working with large fasteners - the air ratched isn't that great. You might as well use a impact.

I use a air ratchet when i am doing like tire changes, use the hand ratchet to break bolts loose, and tightened everything with the air ratchet then go back with a torque wrench or hand tools.

An air ratchet is good when you don't want to sit there all day turning a bolt/nut with hand tools.

Last edited:
Most of the time when buying these tools you gotta look for operating pressure, size of hose & max torque of the device

air ratchet is great for putting together assemblies with a zillion bolts like patio furniture and bbqs and car fenders, but id suggest starting fasteners by hand, I've seen so many cross threaded bolts from guys just putting the bolt in the hole and pulling the trigger on the ratchet.

Back
Top Bottom