It's that time of year - Fall Colours | GTAMotorcycle.com

It's that time of year - Fall Colours

I'm thinking longer than that. This year is much different than last year.

A word to the wise. Pre book motels if heading up for peak colour change. City folk (bus loads) are crazy for this. It's not the same as on TV. Better.

Was up north this Sunday and anything north of Huntsville was spectacular. 518 was a real treat both visually and riding wise.

Was just up for a big run on Saturday, wait another 2 weeks or you will be disappointed, as there is very little change as of now. Waaaay less crowded though! This time last year was in full color, but this year seems a bit late

I'm planning on going weekend after Thanksgiving due to a few prior commitments....I hope the leaves don't all change by then.

According to different online resources Algonquin is somewhere between 50-70% changed now.

around here though, it's about 20%. So if you're going later, you should be able to change your route.

Watch out for tours buses, and leaf debris on those small twisty roads.

If I can talk the wife into going up this weekend we will take the car...then ride up there after thanksgiving so at least still do an annual ride up there.

Where is 'here' Baggsy?

This is a frustrating time of year.

Warm days are riddled with rain = no riding to work

Dry days are riddled with cold = no riding to work

Usually needing to carry people & things on weekends = no riding

:(

If I can talk the wife into going up this weekend we will take the car...then ride up there after thanksgiving so at least still do an annual ride up there.

Where is 'here' Baggsy?

Ottawa/Calabogie area. The fall colours are supposed to be a great view from Gatineau Park.

If you've got the cash, you could book a couples massage at La Spa Nordik,
and spend some chill time there after your ride (no, I'm not associated with the business).

Ottawa/Calabogie area. The fall colours are supposed to be a great view from Gatineau Park.

If you've got the cash, you could book a couples massage at La Spa Nordik,
and spend some chill time there after your ride (no, I'm not associated with the business).

Thanks! Might be an option. Going to the US Consulate to see if she gets approved for a visa and we're off to Boston for Thanksgiving....if she doesn't get it we need to look at other options. And personally I'd prefer to stay in Canada due to exchange rates!

Is Lynn still lurking in the background somewhere? Can we summon him to run a colours ride in Algonquin?

Last edited:
Might make a trip up to Algonquin this week...... Just need to secure my tripod to the bike :D

Dammit....looks like I'm missing this one this year. Stupid leaves peaking early....

Nope, about a week late. Usual peak is Sept 27th give or take. This year the peak was Oct 4th.

I spend a week in Algonquin and saw the colours changing almost daily as the temperature plummeted, little change on the 26th when I arrived, and peaking to brilliant colours on many of the maples just as I left on the 3rd.

As I left, there was a steady stream of traffic headed east on Highway 60 through the park, cars pulling on and off shoulders everywhere and people wandering with big cameras and cell-phones on selfie-sticks everywhere on and off the pavement as they found yet another tree to get out and take a picture of.

One of the best places to view is the Track-n-Tower trail. Even though it's a fairly long and for many a tough climb to the high lookout point, that trail's parking lot was jammed full of cars and at least an equal number of cars was parked on both shoulders of the road in front and on either side of the the trail entrance. I've never seen that many cars there and was glad to have done that trail the day before when there was only maybe a couple dozen cars in the lot.

At 1:00pm, heading west on highway 60 as I left the park, the east-bound line-up to get into the park was stopped and extending almost 3 km along the highway leading up west gate.

At 2:30 one of the leaf sightseers pulled off onto the shoulder near Tea Lake, and then moments later decided to pull back out onto the highway, right in front of a bus. That and the ensuing fatality investigation closed the highway in both directions for some 12 hours. With all the mindless people running around all over to get that perfect picture, I'm just surprised that there were not other serious incidents at other highway locations that day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom