Transferring title of a bike that needs fixing before going on the road | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transferring title of a bike that needs fixing before going on the road

Core

Hey all,

I am thinking of getting myself a second bike and possibly selling my old one. I have found someone selling the bike I may want, but it's fairings are damaged and it doesn't have a working headlight. If I get it, I may make it a street fighter.

The main thing I'm worried about is transferring title and ownership and when the bike isn't road legal. If I try get it certified I'm almost sure it wouldn't pass. Is there any way I can transfer ownership without having to have it be road worthy or even having to insure it, since I won't be riding it right away?

I'm still sorta new at this.

Thanks in advance!

Core

Hey all,

I am thinking of getting myself a second bike and possibly selling my old one. I have found someone selling the bike I may want, but it's fairings are damaged and it doesn't have a working headlight. If I get it, I may make it a street fighter.

The main thing I'm worried about is transferring title and ownership and when the bike isn't road legal. If I try get it certified I'm almost sure it wouldn't pass. Is there any way I can transfer ownership without having to have it be road worthy or even having to insure it, since I won't be riding it right away?

I'm still sorta new at this.

Thanks in advance!

Core
Yep, yep and yep, no issues. When you want to put it back on the road, you'll have to tow it to a mechanic to get it certified, or sometimes one might come to your house.

Another option is to get the seller NOT to date the ownership or bill of sale, then when your bike is ready for the road you can transfer it into your name, get a temp plate, drive it to a mechanic and get it certified. Then you don't have to bother with towing it around, etc.

Just transfer it as "UNFIT" and they'll put it in your name with no plate.

As JC mentioned you won't be able to get a trip permit for it later. Ive done it a few times.

Yep, yep and yep, no issues. When you want to put it back on the road, you'll have to tow it to a mechanic to get it certified, or sometimes one might come to your house.

Another option is to get the seller NOT to date the ownership or bill of sale, then when your bike is ready for the road you can transfer it into your name, get a temp plate, drive it to a mechanic and get it certified. Then you don't have to bother with towing it around, etc.

Just keep in mind that if you go this route you can't get fire/theft insurance on a bike not in your name. So if you go this route get the work done ASAP.

And if anything bad happens with it the previous owner will still be responsible!

I think technically there is a time limit on this but it's not enforced. I sold a guy a bike and it took him 2 years to transfer the ownership. He sold the bike to someone else in the meantime so he saved on taxes and just transferred it to straight to the new owner's name. This was because his friend crashed it into a wall the day after I dropped it off while they were trying to do stunts in a parking lot.

I reported it sold to the MTO a few months after I gave it to him while I was doing some other stuff at the MTO. Until then I didn't know you could do that but if you do it makes you no longer liable for anything that happens to it while the new owner hasn't bothered to change ownership, or so they told me at the MTO.

And if anything bad happens with it the previous owner will still be responsible!

I think technically there is a time limit on this but it's not enforced. I sold a guy a bike and it took him 2 years to transfer the ownership. He sold the bike to someone else in the meantime so he saved on taxes and just transferred it to straight to the new owner's name. This was because his friend crashed it into a wall the day after I dropped it off while they were trying to do stunts in a parking lot.

I reported it sold to the MTO a few months after I gave it to him while I was doing some other stuff at the MTO. Until then I didn't know you could do that but if you do it makes you no longer liable for anything that happens to it while the new owner hasn't bothered to change ownership, or so they told me at the MTO.

This si correct, my friend sold her 1992 Katana to a 19 year old kid, this spring. Technically you have 6 days to transfer ownership, she had other things to do at MTO a couple of months later and was told it was still in her name, so she filled out a paper, that reports to MTO that the bike was sold and to whom. That way she is no longer liable for tickets or offences committed by bike.

I have done this 3 times with old or damaged bikes, after purchase you go to the ministry and transfer the tittle to your name but with the vehicle as unfit. this will get it in your name and make sure there isnt a problem with the paperwork or ministry records (more of a thing with the vintage machines) then after you can take your time and do whatever you want with it. When its done you can get a safety certificate and go back to the ministry and change the ownership from unfit to fit and get or transfer a plate to it. then your back on the road.

Back
Top Bottom