Best 2up/Touring Motorcycles? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best 2up/Touring Motorcycles?

What about the FJ09? Comfortable for both with a lot more engine that your current R6

Edit: Sorry i forgot the 6k price tag limit.

I've seen 3 2013 vstrom 650s for under $7000. Main contenders right now would be the vstrom, st1100 and the cbf1000. I gotta check them all out and plausibly go for a ride with my 2up to see how each feel.

Hehe - I have both - couple hundred KM to get home. Will be around tomorrow

Menace - sounds like your best best is to meet up with MacDoc and ask to make vroom vroom noises on his bikes.

^^Lmfao ?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

It's all a plot :D

I'll have the Biffer at the Forks around noon likely ....both bikes are in Mississauga in the Mavis /403 area.

Name a time. Might be easier to email from here out macdoc@macdoc.com

I've checked out the price on goldwing before, for the price point I'm looking at, can I actually get a reliable one for $6000? I know it all depends on how the owner took care of it.

Yes. You can get one for half that. I bot an 86 for under 3k 5-6 years ago and have taken a week to ten day long trip or 2 every summer since with the Squeeze. Yes she falls a sleep back there.....

Now I see wings on kijiji going for about 2K.

Anybody 2upping on a KLR? I just got a KLR650 and wonder if it's a possible touring machine for 2.

I had a KLR for a few years and felt it wasn't up to the task of 2up touring - which is why I sold it and bought a V-Strom. The KLR was a versatile and comfy ride which was very good in many areas, but a gutless machine for 2up touring and we are not big peoples.

CBF1000......I'm wondering if this suitable for two up....it's a surprisingly small bike. Loads of power, great brakes, decent side bags but it is really physically small.
Staff took it out for a quick spin and also said the same ....feels like a 500 in regards to overall size, handling feel.

The Vstrom feels enormous when I switch back. The Biffer is based on the CBF600 chassis so unless OP and squeeze are small....jus might feel squashed compared to other choices.

I'll be back Tuesday if you are still interested in a try out.

heres some discussion on it

http://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,13609.msg168121.html#msg168121

http://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,10858.msg139050.html#msg139050

This seems relevant

Ok, here we go. I am 6' 3 and 115kg and the missus is 5'5 and 60kg ish..... to give you an idea of the loading on my bike

How do you find two up riding?

First of all we do load the bike pretty well to the max specs on our own.. But frankly, we don't carry more than about 10kg luggage between us, thats the beauty of a bike pack light!!!! You on the otherhand have the ability to add more due to you both weighing less. We find it about an 8/10. Its a little crampy for me with the wifey on the back. Crampy is perhaps not the right term. Solo on the honda I can easily pull off 3hrs straight at a time (and then I'm only stopping for fuel anyway). Two up probably need to stretch every 1 1/2 hrs to keep the stamina up. That's still quite respectable as they recommend stopping every 2 hrs anyway. I guess what I mean is that whilst she has lots of room to move back and forward between me and the top box, i lose a bit of my stretch space. As to be expected.

How does the bike feel for braking with two up?

You can feel the difference. Not that it has trouble or has to work so hard you are unsure if you will stop. But one of the (minor albeit) criticisms of this bike is the way it "gulps" up the whole travel on the front forks quickly during rapid braking. You will notice this more two up. But frankly, its minor, and I have to say it doesn't worry me, its just a small characteristic of the bike you get used to fast and like any bike, there's always something that people will pick on. But in long, braking is sure and will definitely stop you in time.

How is acceleration for two up?

This is the biffer we are talking about, Don't worry about acceleration, two up you will still beat a skyline off the lights, or most cruisers. This bike has serious torque from about 1500 rpm right to 8000rpm. I have found myself pulling off the lights in second gear two up with luggage (by accident) and no troubles, I can run around shopping center carparks two up and again, second gear it will pull from idle without a whinge. Only thing I will warn you is don't get too trigger happy in first, you will find you may lift the front wheel two up with luggage if your not being careful, its not rediculous, just don't gun it hard off the lights (unlike some superbikes which are on their back wheel with a sneeze this takes a little effort but not impossible)

Does the bike handle well at low speeds and high speeds for two up?

Tick and tick (well they say in the manual not to go faster than 160kmh two up or with lots of luggage) It is very surefooted and easy to keep upright once moving, (even low speeds). And it is a pearl at highway speeds two up

How does your passenger find riding on the back?

My partner found the higher riding position strange at first, but this was due to our previous bike being an old style naked bike (75 CB500/4) with a flat seat. After a few mins on it she found it nice. Nasty bumps were a little jarring, but otherwise she finds herself quite comfortable, enough to watch a movie on her Iphone......... :087:

Comfort of the passenger?

Again, remember this is a hybrid sports and tourer, The riding position is very relaxed for a sports bike and aggressive for a tourer. Does that make any sense? Basically, expect it to be miles better than a sportsbike, but if your thinking goldwing comfort, think again. The seating position is quite natural though. That's how I feel. Again, I get no complaints.

Wind?

Wind is something some people have trouble with and others don't on the biffer. It CAN/is a bit noisier than some bikes with buffeting. There are many solutions and no real answer, different things worked for different people. For me, a good helmet and ear plugs, some people changed seat height and screen height etc. Others put spacers under the windscreen. Sidewinds can be a little fun on it. But again, nothing major or dangerous, just noticable.

Are there any backrest options for the rider and passenger?

Haven't seen a backrest for the rider, although I have seen custom saddle type seats, so I guess that counts. My top box has a back rest on it, it is just a cheapie RJays brand one. It does the trick. The genuine topbox has a optional back rest and the box is key and colour coded!!!!! I believe I saw a sissy bar for the bike on a site somewhere.. But I don't remember where.

Hope this is some food for thought, might not match everyone else's opinion, but this is my and my wifes experiences tailored to your questions :001:

and some more.....take away.....
Sport tourer on the front, tourer on the back. Coming from your ride - actually might work after all.

http://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,4670.msg54803.html#msg54803

I had a KLR for a few years and felt it wasn't up to the task of 2up touring - which is why I sold it and bought a V-Strom. The KLR was a versatile and comfy ride which was very good in many areas, but a gutless machine for 2up touring and we are not big peoples.

Both me & the squeeze are smallish. I'm 5'6" 145lbs and she's 5'3" 120lbs. We'll have to see how it feels next spring. Unfortunately I started off with a Wing and for her comfort wise everything is likely to be a step backward.

Both me & the squeeze are smallish. I'm 5'6" 145lbs and she's 5'3" 120lbs. We'll have to see how it feels next spring. Unfortunately I started off with a Wing and for her comfort wise everything is likely to be a step backward.
For me it was less about the comfort and more about the lack of power when moving at speed on the highway, especially when trying to pass a vehicle at those speeds. As a solo rider on the highway it was fine as well as on the county and back roads it was fine, but for any longer distance stuff it felt really light and underpowered. it'll be quite the change from the Wing.

Back
Top Bottom