Best 2up/Touring Motorcycles? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best 2up/Touring Motorcycles?

TheMenacE

Hey guys,

Like the title says, I'm looking for choices for a good 2up/touring bike. I currently have a r6 but it's really uncomfortable on longer trips with a passenger.

It doesn't matter if it's a naked, a cruiser or touring bike; just something comfortable for my passenger and myself. Something within the $6000 mark.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had an 85 1200 Goldwing, most comfortable bike ever, especially 2 up. Stereo, awesome wind protection and fantastic luggage. I also got great fuel mileage, 450km or so to the tank.
The only reason I sold it was because I couldn't afford two bikes and if I can only have one, the goldwing didn't cut it. I'm more into the adventure touring bikes now. Take a look at a vstrom 1000, had many good comments on the passenger accommodations on that bike. I'm considering adding an fjr1300 in the future.

I've checked out the price on goldwing before, for the price point I'm looking at, can I actually get a reliable one for $6000? I know it all depends on how the owner took care of it.

I've checked out the price on goldwing before, for the price point I'm looking at, can I actually get a reliable one for $6000? I know it all depends on how the owner took care of it.

I traded my bandit 1200s for a 1985 gl1200, certified the way I got it. Put 14000 km on it in a season, sold it for $3400 certified the next season. They are very reliable and run forever. I'd look for a 1500cc model as the earlier 1200 models are known for stator issues. Mine had the stator replaced with the "poorboy" alternator mod, tons of juice, with lots of power for heated gear etc.
You'd be amazed by how good the handling is, much better than you'd expect from an 800lb bike. I could easily ride mine faster in the twisties than my shadow 1100.

BMW R1150RT or R1200 RT. Great touring bike and almost as comfortable as a Goldwing but a lot more compact. Great bikes and they handle well. There are several for sale and are easy to maintain.
I would put BMW in the lead for comfort.The ergos are a bit better.(for the rider,passenger gets better seat on the wing obviously) But the wing is hands down easier to own than a BMW.Parts and service are everywhere.Had an airhead for 13 yrs,bought the wing because i was sick of the lousy BMW dealer network and price gouge.

WeeStrom. i.e. The 650 VStrom, the 1000 can't take as much weight.

Concours is even less.

I'm not sure what the GVWR is in the older Wings, but I'd check it first.

I didn't like the ride of the newer Wings, too smooth, you're up into HTA territory quickly without realizing it, like a Cadillac.

if you do look at the strom, check how far the trunk hangs over the passenger seat on the Suzuki bags; it might be better to look at the many third party alternatives.

I didn't like the ride of the newer Wings, too smooth, you're up into HTA territory quickly without realizing it, like a Cadillac.

When I went to a GL1200 from a Sportster I just about lost it in a corner. The Sporty vibes let you know how fast you were going. Goldie didn't and I was going in fast.

The 1200 had the stator issue and was the reason I sold mine. It isn't something you can change at the side of the road and output was weak. My issue was actually several failed reg / rectifiers.

I went from the GL1200 to a 1000cc Connie but didn't like the Connie Buzz or top heavy handling. Otherwise it was a good bike.

In 2008 when the dollar was over par I bought a mint low miles 1998 GL1500 from the states for $8000 USD. It was a super deal and there should be better ones now. There were no recalls to deal with on the paperwork.

In 1997 the GL1500 got the more rugged Valkerie transmission.

There have been minor changes along the time line. Early models had Japanese alternators but the newer ones are Chinese and have a slightly higher fail rates. Aftermarket alternators are available and easy to change.

Production of the GL1500s ended in 2000 so even the early GL1800s are 15 years old and coming down in price if you shop in the USA. Having to add 30% to the dollar hurts that.

GL1500s are durable even with just modest maintenance but the older ones will have had numerous owners with their own ideas on add-ons.

The 1500 is roomier than the 1800 but heavier.

Max rider / passenger weight is in the 425 -450 lb range IIRC and if you go to a Goldwing rally you will see that totally ignored plus they haul a trailer.

Last edited:
Sport touring like the st1300 or FJR1300 will be much closer to the kind of ride you have now but with comfort.

Sport touring like the st1300 or FJR1300 will be much closer to the kind of ride you have now but with comfort.
This is very true, OP is better off with Sport Touring. Seeing as he rides a R6, almost any bike will be a massive upgrade in comfort for the pillion. The Goldwing is the best though which is what he was asking, hard to debate that.

Did some research on all the bikes mentioned, showed and asked my pillion her opinion, and we both really like the reliable, looks and purpose of the vstrom.

Seems like a really dependable touring bike, without the crazy maintenance of a bmw.

Like you guys mentioned before, anything will be more comfortable than my r6 for my passenger and myself.

Time to research about the vstrom 1000!

Thanks for the responses and pointing me in the correct direction.

I'd learn towards the FJR than the V-STROM. The FJR is shaft driven, the VSTROM is chain. The FJR will be smoother with its I4 vs the STROM with the V2. The FJR also has a shorter seat height which might make for easier mounting dismounts.

I'd learn towards the FJR than the V-STROM. The FJR is shaft driven, the VSTROM is chain. The FJR will be smoother with its I4 vs the STROM with the V2. The FJR also has a shorter seat height which might make for easier mounting dismounts.

I'll definitely check out the fjr a bit more, thanks!

If op is just looking for a bike that is comfortable for 2 up but is not doing extensive touring, a Bandit 1250 or an Gen 1 FZ1 are good choices as they are much lighted than going full sport touring.

Depending on the combined weight of pinion and rider may make the Vstrom a little underwhelming.

If op is just looking for a bike that is comfortable for 2 up but is not doing extensive touring, a Bandit 1250 or an Gen 1 FZ1 are good choices as they are much lighted than going full sport touring.

Depending on the combined weight of pinion and rider may make the Vstrom a little underwhelming.

This bike would be dedicated for touring and 2 up riding only. I would still keep the r6 for the twistie and track. I'm open to any recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom