Scary experience yesterday | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scary experience yesterday

Yikes! Is that symptom prior to the migraine normal?

if I get an aura I'm in for a rough ride - its rare tho and caffeine and chocolate plus a painkiller can usually nip it.

Had a really bad one this year and first time I was nauseous. Got Sumatriptan...horrd expensive but it works - gotta catch them early.
OP - you should be carrying it

Buddy rider in Australia had unexplained seizure - lost his licence , had to be 6 months secure free....had another smaller one - reset the clock...he's coming up on 6 months now.

Kid is diabetic and you can lose your license if you have low blood sugar blackouts ( you don't have to be diabetic to have them )
Very hard to get it back.
He's got better control now with technology so lower risk.

Docs have to report it.

The worst I've ever done was fall asleep on my bike. Luckily there was a black garbage bag full of trash right on the edge of the road/before the soft gravel shoulder. That sure woke me up when I hit it!

Anyhow, it got me thinking. What if it was something worse like a seisure or even a stroke while riding? How many accidents have occurred because of such things even by cagers. In this day and age where peoples' stress levels are through the roof, it's not an impossibility.
prob mostly irrelevant compared to accidents caused by more routine, mundane and prevalent fundamentals like fatigue and distractions

Last edited:
With the license stuff there is one thing to consider, is it a condition that is uncontrolled and random or is it something controllable and predictable? I think if you have warnings and you can predict the onset of an aura then i think that isn't grounds for a medical suspension. they tried to do a medical suspension for sleep apnea for a close friend of mine. He got rather angry about it and basically told the doctor he was nuts and that the condition was under control and that if there was ever a problem like a sleepless night or being excessively tired he wasn't gonna be stupid enough to get in a car and drive. Its all about your attitude about it and how you approach it if you have a good family doctor often they can be a good place to start.

I have heard a few horror stories about this medical suspension crap being used to bully people into treatments like in my friends case telling them they have to buy an expensive CPAP machines in order to be compliant so they could keep there license. So keep this tidbit of info handy if they try to pull something similar.

actually the cpap horror story is firmly established in the trucking world,

the only way to rule out sleep issues is by being tested,

that then calls into question how many folks are out there driving sleep deprived, or impaired

Last edited:
In the case of truck drivers it's pretty high and there are cab lighting systems ( blue ) to keep them awake.
Same with those driving from late shift work.

Lots of us believe it can't happen to us.
I recently fell asleep on my way to work and totalled my truck. Thank god nobody was hurt, no one involved but me. Point is I work very long hours and commute an additional 15-20 hours a week, it was an eye opener. I now make the extra effort to take care of myself, more sleep, proper diet etc.
It really hits home when you wake up in trashed burning vehicle and have no idea how you got there.
I can't imagine how I'd feel if I had hurt or killed someone through my negligence. :(

My brother ignored headaches etc because they were deemed the after effects of a serious collision a few years prior. When the symptoms changed he had them checked out and it was stage four cancer that had gone to the brain. He was dead a month later.

My brother ignored headaches etc because they were deemed the after effects of a serious collision a few years prior. When the symptoms changed he had them checked out and it was stage four cancer that had gone to the brain. He was dead a month later.

Damn, that's rough. I'm sorry to hear about your brother, maybe his story will help others to consider their health before it's too late.

It really hits home when you wake up in trashed burning vehicle and have no idea how you got there.

happened to me but I woke up facing a snow plow guide sign at 80 mph....could have been a bridge abutment...in a VW Rabbit....in the left shoulder....
Recall thinking that if I try and avoid the sign I'll likely roll the car.
Hit square on and slowed safely. Little dent on the hood and it never shifted quite as smooth after that.
Was a reminder to pull over and nap ....

Late afternoon sun on the 401 past London ....too easy to drift off. Bit of luck was a flimsy sign.

even in the highly regulated truckingworld, where there is mandatory cpap, drug testing and hours of service rules,

somehow you get this stuff

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/21/walmart-tracy-morgan-crash-settlement_n_6518588.html
Roper, the driver, has been charged with death by auto and four counts of assault by auto. According to the criminal complaint, Roper was operating the truck without having slept for more than 24 hours.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en-C.....0...1ac.2.34.heirloom-hp..1.0.0.pXPwZMEByzk

Richmond bikers involved in horrific I-85 wreck ID'd; semi driver ...

http://archive.azcentral.com/commun...21116phoenix-fatal-motorcycle-crash-abrk.html

In some states cagers have maximum hour rules. It's harder to enforce due to no logbook requirements but there could be a paper trail that could be followed in the event of a crash.

Iron Butt runs could be illegal. They are also considered a speed / endurance event so insurance becomes iffy.

I fell asleep on the 401 and hit the rumble strips. I hate to think what would have happened without those strips. Waking and looking at my 8 yr son in the rear mirror was what kicked my ass to go get checked out. Turns out I have sleep apnea and since getting a CPAP machine I have no issues now.

Suffered with the aura effect ever since i was young kid. For me bright artificial lighting seems to be the trigger, might have something to do with me having blue eyes. I usually go to a dark place or cover my eyes for ten minutes and I'm good to go.
I don't get the headache symptoms afterwards either.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Kid is diabetic and you can lose your license if you have low blood sugar blackouts ( you don't have to be diabetic to have them )
Very hard to get it back.
He's got better control now with technology so lower risk.
When I first applied for my license, at 16, about 16 years ago, I misunderstood the seizure question. Took 2ish years to before I could re-apply.
Thankfully have not had a hypoglycemic seizure since high school. As MacDoc said, the tech is better; and I've learned my signs.

My dad saw a woman in a drive-thru have one. He could hear her talking and then her voice dropped and her car rolled into the side of the building. Eventually was she alright, but I think she ended up losing her license.

i have the exact same thing as you. when i was a kid i was diagnosed with ADHD and Epilepsy. so i get crazy amounts of migraines atleast every other week. to the point where i'm bed ridden.

sucks but i just learn to deal with it. make sure i have food in my stomach before i ride, keep myself hydrated at all times and always have some sort of pills with me.

Nodding off at the wheel has abated since taking ferrous gluconate about one month. Did a 1000+km day recently all back roads no problem. But, ya.

Back
Top Bottom