M1 Exit Test Oshawa 2015 | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 Exit Test Oshawa 2015

Shooter

Hi All,
New to the forum and biking after a long time away. Hope I've put this in the right spot. I have to take the M1 exit (M2), test in a week in Oshawa.

I've been practicing the serpentine/cone weave, straight-line turn - accelerate and brake and the push the bike in a figure 8. (cone was the hardest to learn).

Do they also do a road test at this exam? Also - any other things they test you on?

I feel good - but nervous about the cone weave on my bike - it's tough but wonder if they give you a chance to repeat anything if you get it wrong?

Any, ANY suggestions or answers or tips are much appreciated.

Thank you!
Edward

edit: Just realized the test with the school is different then the official one. Never mind!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
edit: Just realized the test with the school is different then the official one. Never mind!:rolleyes:
So which are you doing, with the school? If it's not with the school and with the MTO then there is a road test section of the M1 exit test in Oshawa.

If you're doing it through the MTO I can show you the entire test if you want. Let me know.

Hi JC,
It is with the MTO - not the school. It says I have to be at Mid-town Mall in Oshawa in a week. I've done the parking lot exercises. I ride on the road and just getting back into riding after a long time away. Just looking for what the road test is - where they do it -intersections etc. Any tips, suggestions, what kind - if any mistakes can you make? Scoring. The nerves are getting to me a bit - I must admit.

I tried to send you a direct message - not sure if it went through.

Thank you,

Ed

https://vimeo.com/140491723
79d62d0a16db971765a2bb48cd257e5c.jpg

You should be ok,they will ask you to do the road test,I would say a 500 miter from the Drive test Center,Just stay on proper tire track and you are good..

It doesn't matter who you are,where you come from or which God you believe in...if you are motorcyclists, You are my Brother.

Last edited:
Cool - so do they just watch from the parking lot? Follow you? Are they all single lanes around there? Sorry for all the questions!

Hi JC,
It is with the MTO - not the school. It says I have to be at Mid-town Mall in Oshawa in a week. I've done the parking lot exercises. I ride on the road and just getting back into riding after a long time away. Just looking for what the road test is - where they do it -intersections etc. Any tips, suggestions, what kind - if any mistakes can you make? Scoring. The nerves are getting to me a bit - I must admit.

I tried to send you a direct message - not sure if it went through.

Thank you,

Ed
I got your message. I'll reply here as it's in the best interest of anyone that finds this thread.

The road test section: The tester stands on the corner by the tree here:

oshawa_M1_exit_test.jpg

He asks you to SAFELY exit the parking lot, head west on John St. and turn south on Nassau St. Turn around on Nassau St. then come back to the parking lot.

There are a TON of places to lose marks on the road test part. One of the guys that was in my group completely failed before he even left the parking lot!

Make sure you look both ways at all of the lane intersections in the parking lot. Lots of noob drivers too so make sure you assume everyone will do something retarded. When you come to the lights to exit the parking lot make sure you signal three seconds before you get to them and you stop before the painted line (assuming the lights are red). Look both ways before proceeding up to and through the intersection. Pay careful attention to your lane position the entire time and don't speed (40 km/h. Don't forget to shut off your signal. As you ride towards Nassau St you will pass another exit for the parking lot, MAKE SURE YOU TURN YOUR HEAD to pretend to look at it as you pass it (I marked it with a star on the picture). Don't forget to signal when you turn left onto Nassau St. Don't drop or stall the bike when you're turning it around (you can ride all the way to the end of the street if you want, there's a circle there where you can turn around easy).

Again don't forget to signal when you come back onto John St. from Nassau and remember to give that second parking lot exit a good look when passing it on the way back (even though it's on the other side of the road). Pay attention to lane position when you come up to the lights to go back into the parking lot and remember to stop before the line if the light is red. You can move into the intersection and come to a stop when the light goes green (if you have to wait for oncoming traffic). Don't forget to shut off your signal when you come back into the parking lot and check all the intersecting lanes as you go back to the test area.

I think that's it. If you want me to be your mock examiner while you do the road part just let me know and we can meet up there.

Last edited:
That is awesome info!! I really appreciate the diagram. I was thinking of driving out that way one day this weekend - to see if they have the spots where they put the cones out painted - to go over that (I always struggle at the start off, then once I'm going I'm good). I will also ride the route you showed. I live out near Scarborough - Port Union & 401. I will email you if I go and if you are available I'd appreciate it. Do you know - if they give you any chance to do anything over again? Any parts? I've heard - that they will give you another chance - but find that hard to believe. Thank you so much!

That is awesome info!! I really appreciate the diagram. I was thinking of driving out that way one day this weekend - to see if they have the spots where they put the cones out painted - to go over that (I always struggle at the start off, then once I'm going I'm good). I will also ride the route you showed. I live out near Scarborough - Port Union & 401. I will email you if I go and if you are available I'd appreciate it. Do you know - if they give you any chance to do anything over again? Any parts? I've heard - that they will give you another chance - but find that hard to believe. Thank you so much!
I don't believe they have the spots painted where the cones go. I can show you a neat trick for doing the cones, you do it fast instead of slow and it's very easy. What bike do you ride? I'm around all weekend so just send me a text when you know you'll be by and I'll meet you there. 289-600-9937 (text only, calls don't work).

My instructor would let you do over anything that wasn't a safety problem (i.e. if you went through the red light without stopping completely, you couldn't do that over). He gave people two chances on the cones and on the braking test.

JC,here I missed my Samsung note 4,

It doesn't matter who you are,where you come from or which God you believe in...if you are motorcyclists, You are my Brother.

Cool. You do the cones fast?! I'm intrigued!! Ok - I will text you for sure. I ride a 2005 Suzuki GS 500 F. (Carburetor). I can't wait...! Thanks! Ed

Cool. You do the cones fast?! I'm intrigued!! Ok - I will text you for sure. I ride a 2005 Suzuki GS 500 F. (Carburetor). I can't wait...! Thanks! Ed
Yeah, my 07 R1's steering stops are so tight it's next to impossible to do the cones slow. One day I was dodging manhole covers like I usually do and thought, hey, why can't I do the cones the same way? So I went by the test center a few mornings in a row until I saw they had the pylon course set up so I tried it out and it worked perfectly first try. When they get you to line up for the pylon test push your bike back a few feet before you start, then you can get a run up to the first cone instead of doing it at almost a stand still. Your bike is probably much easier to do the cones than my bike, try dragging your rear brake to control your speed instead of pulling the clutch in and out, it will probably give you much more control.

I would take a tape measure with me to the parking lot and mark out 'cones' with rocks, cans, plastic water bottles - whatever I could find in the lot. Then I found I was staring at the items and not looking ahead to the end (I couldn't see the end). Then I found a piece of old vinyl siding and cut like 12 four inch square pieces. Now I always keep them and tape on my bike - so I'll have those when we go. I can set them up quick.

When I looked at the road map on Google maps - looks like the road test is a lane and a half in some places? Does that change the blocking or should I just treat like a singe lane in each direction? i.d. block by riding in the left tire path? Thanks!

When I looked at the road map on Google maps - looks like the road test is a lane and a half in some places? Does that change the blocking or should I just treat like a singe lane in each direction? i.d. block by riding in the left tire path? Thanks!
There used to be a bus lane there, that's why the road is so wide. 92.3% of people would fail the test because of the bus lane :) It's much easier to do the test without it. Stay in the LEFT tire track (so like 1.5ft from the center line) regardless of how wide the road is as it IS technially all one lane. You WILL lose marks for incorrect blocking position if you ride in the middle of the lane, and you can also lose marks for "ride too close to center line".

Hi All - had the test this afternoon. Talk about nerves! Funny thing - six of us were being tested in the afternoon session. Not all passed - but ALL were great support to one another. If this is the way the biking community is - I'm sorry I didn't join earlier on in life. Thank you for all of your feedback and help. Luckily - and I say that because it was windy, the serpentine cones are the hardest - I passed. Glad I spent so much time in a parking lot learning how to drive slow and balance - AND found this forum! Thanks again!!!!

Hi All - had the test this afternoon. Talk about nerves! Funny thing - six of us were being tested in the afternoon session. Not all passed - but ALL were great support to one another. If this is the way the biking community is - I'm sorry I didn't join earlier on in life. Thank you for all of your feedback and help. Luckily - and I say that because it was windy, the serpentine cones are the hardest - I passed. Glad I spent so much time in a parking lot learning how to drive slow and balance - AND found this forum! Thanks again!!!!
Wow man, congrats! The wind and cold today were tricky for testing (luckily it wasn't raining). Glad you passed :)

Now ride all night on the 401 with a passenger!

Wow man, congrats! The wind and cold today were tricky for testing (luckily it wasn't raining). Glad you passed :)

Now ride all night on the 401 with a passenger!

Practice alone first please, before taking on a passenger.

What's the worst that could happen?

Congrats..

Thanks everyone! Funny - how things start to 'click' the more you ride. My better half's father - retired Fireman - old smart dude - told her not to ride with me until I got two years under my belt. He may be right!

Back
Top Bottom