insightful comment by a cager | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

insightful comment by a cager

Our group came within seconds of being in "Fallen Riders" this evening.

Car blew through a stop sign southbound on 2nd Line Nassagaweya without slowing down (I'd estimate 80 - 100 km/h) seconds before we crossed the intersection eastbound on Milton 20 Side Road, which has no stop sign. There are trees near the road at that intersection which limit line of sight ... there's no way the car driver could have seen cross traffic approaching, nor would we have had any chance of seeing the errant car approaching the intersection and not slowing down.

Technically you don't have to wear seatbelts and can talk on phone if it is a truly private parking lot. Don't believe the highway traffic act can be applied. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now whether it is a good idea that is another discussion.

Unfortunately you are not wrong. A couple years ago I was leaving a restaurant when I witnessed a car side swip the car parked next to it. I tried to stop the driver and when she wouldn't stop took a picture of the car (including the plate) and immediately called the police. The owner of the side swiped car came out a few minutes before the police arrived and after a long discussion the owner of the side swiped car was informed that since this occured on "private property" their hands were tied and there was nothing they could do (WTF!!!). Long story short the driver of the side swiped car reported it to her insurance company and they decided to just cover the damage under her policy rather than pursue it.

or something completely not like that at all lol, A for effort

I can see where he's coming from. He's saying that just because you are bigger, stronger, etc doesn't mean everyone around you has to yield to whatever you want to do. An extreme way of saying that, though.

I agree every rider should have a camera, (but mount it to the bike, you "CAN" be ticketed for having it mounted to your helmet, as has been discussed previously). As for taking it to the police they are highly unlikely to take action, unless a collision resulted. As I posted a few days ago a guy basically sideswiped my binke in my lane and then fled the scene. I have cameras mounted rear and forward facing on the bike. Cops weren't interested in even looking at the video.

Now where it WAS useful, was this twit had the nerve to report the collision to police and his insurance as me hitting him and me fleeing the scene. I was initially, (based solely upon HIS statement), 50% at fault for the collision by my insurer. Once they viewed the videos, they advised his insurer they were changing it to a not at fault for me and placing him 100% at fault.

Now if your in a fatal, or serious injuries collision, then obviously the police will review the video.

I agree every rider should have a camera, (but mount it to the bike, you "CAN" be ticketed for having it mounted to your helmet, as has been discussed previously). As for taking it to the police they are highly unlikely to take action, unless a collision resulted. As I posted a few days ago a guy basically sideswiped my binke in my lane and then fled the scene. I have cameras mounted rear and forward facing on the bike. Cops weren't interested in even looking at the video.

Now where it WAS useful, was this twit had the nerve to report the collision to police and his insurance as me hitting him and me fleeing the scene. I was initially, (based solely upon HIS statement), 50% at fault for the collision by my insurer. Once they viewed the videos, they advised his insurer they were changing it to a not at fault for me and placing him 100% at fault.

Now if your in a fatal, or serious injuries collision, then obviously the police will review the video.

How was he able to report you if he sideswiped you and fled the scene? Did you stop and get his info or did he just take off and remember your plate?

What a dumb bimbo, that would be like me saying "YOU, need to yield, bend over and take a dicking. I am a man you're a woman."

I'm pretty sure they're quite different scenarios but I guess you could try that one...

How was he able to report you if he sideswiped you and fled the scene? Did you stop and get his info or did he just take off and remember your plate?
Yes he had been tailgating me for quite sometime and I guess remembered the bike plate number. I got his plate from the video. I am in the process of tracking him down, and likely next week will be serving him with small claims courts docs.

Funny thing is there is no damage to my bike but there is to his 3 week old car. As per the UVIP there is a lien on the car which first registered by MTO three weeks before he hit me... Car is financed thru Honda Canada...lol

Yes he had been tailgating me for quite sometime and I guess remembered the bike plate number. I got his plate from the video. I am in the process of tracking him down, and likely next week will be serving him with small claims courts docs.

Funny thing is there is no damage to my bike but there is to his 3 week old car. As per the UVIP there is a lien on the car which first registered by MTO three weeks before he hit me... Car is financed thru Honda Canada...lol

Did you go get the UVIP for his car from the plate number?

Yes, then a little olde fashioned detective leg work.

I read somewhere that it is illegal to obtain a UVIP for any purpose other than potentially buying/selling a vehicle as it is not supposed to be used to track down owners. But that's just hearsay so I guess it's probably incorrect. I've thought of doing the same before.

I'm really thinking i should invest in a camera now. hmmm fix car's windshield or get camera...hmmmm gotta fix the windshield :(

Yes, then a little olde fashioned detective leg work.
You called in a favour?? ?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Glad nothing happened to your son, OP

IMHO; Most of you are still looking at it traffic incidents wrong, however. We've all been cut off, passed our own lanes, and had lots of other "close calls", but they're exactly just that: close calls.

Personally, I would never attach a camera to my car or bike, because as soon as you are driving over the speed limit, you are technically "in the wrong", too.

If nothing has happened, just take a deep breath (sideline your ego and moral duty to prove someone else wrong) and be glad that the rubber side is still down.

I read somewhere that it is illegal to obtain a UVIP for any purpose other than potentially buying/selling a vehicle as it is not supposed to be used to track down owners. But that's just hearsay so I guess it's probably incorrect. I've thought of doing the same before.
Not illegal, Was recommended by police, at CRC, Insurance and the Service Ontario clerk asked the supervisor and all gave the green light. All the HTA says about UVIP is that the seller "must" supply it when selling a vehicle.

Glad nothing happened to your son, OP

IMHO; Most of you are still looking at it traffic incidents wrong, however. We've all been cut off, passed our own lanes, and had lots of other "close calls", but they're exactly just that: close calls.

Personally, I would never attach a camera to my car or bike, because as soon as you are driving over the speed limit, you are technically "in the wrong", too.

If nothing has happened, just take a deep breath (sideline your ego and moral duty to prove someone else wrong) and be glad that the rubber side is still down.
I agree, with one point, it is really not worth the time or effort to use a video on a close call. But I disagree with the comment about never attaching a camera. In the case I provided, (actual contact, with other party lying about the incident circumstances), those cameras I have mounted prevented my from being declared 50% at fault, and the loss of the accident forgiveness feature on my policy I pay for.

With the increased premiums that go along with an at fault accident, the cameras have more than paid for themselves. I also do a lot of my commute on less travelled roads, if I am taken out I want the investigators to see the circumstances, of the collision. It is also important to note, that my cameras are mounted on a rear cruiser sissy bar, and the handlebars, My cruiser has the speedo on the fuel tank so, speed will never be recorded. I also operate most of the time just slightly over the limit, but many times below the speed of surrounding vehicles, so viewing the video would not permit my speed to become a fault determining factor. I also come to full stops at signs, red lights etc, and obviously not popping wheelies, on my 800 lb cruiser..lol

Now these are my normal riding style, but the fact that a camera is mounted also keeps me mindful of MY actions on the road and that they have been recorded. So yes it can be a deterrent to the rider if you prefer "spirited rides"...lol

All the YT vids from Russia (and a good number from elsewhere including Canada...) validate the efficacy of putting a camera on your vehicle to capture bad behavior on the part of other drivers. If you get "caught" doing bad things that's your own fault :)

Can you make a thread of the outcome when it happens? I'm very interested of what happens to that guy. I remember mentioning in my last quote to you how he should be charged with insurance fraud

Can you make a thread of the outcome when it happens? I'm very interested of what happens to that guy. I remember mentioning in my last quote to you how he should be charged with insurance fraud
Well nothing will "happen" to him. Ohter than perhaps increased insurance due to an at fault collision.

I am filing a small claims suit against him. The insurance just views what he did as "differing points of view" as opposed to an attempt to defraud. Because there are no physical injuries, and he reported to the CRC there will be no action by police. So the only reprecussion he will face will be whatever damages I recover in small claims court. Of course at that point he can just simply refuse to pay up, then your into added costs of applying liens, (even though it is a new car it has a full value lien from Honda Canada), so unless his house has value then not much sense going there last option would be if he works for someone is garnishee wages etc.

Thise of us who folllow, "the rules and accepted behaviour" of society pay for those who flaunt the rules and accepted behaviour because they tend to "get away" with it so they see no need to adjust their behaviour.

The corollary, is that there are millions of insightful comments by bikers right here on this sight.

Back
Top Bottom