Giving a vehicle to a relative.. Affidavit? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Giving a vehicle to a relative.. Affidavit?

FiReSTaRT

Site Supporter
Gave my remaining bike to a relative before leaving the country for a while. I left a pretty detailed receipt saying the make, model, colour, vin, that it's a gift to the relative and that no money is changing hands, but now they are demanding for us to fill out an affidavit form and have it notarized. Well, I'm on a different continent and unable to do it. Is that affidavit absolutely required? Any way to go around it?

How old is the bike? Value?
I had to do this as well.... (well not from another country) If the bike is newer and value higher, you could have a notary/ lawyer here communicate and fax the documents to a lawyer where you are sign and return.

If the bike is older and the value low just have your relative tell the ministry they paid $1 and pay the $0.13 tax

Might be easier to just pay the tax... Cheaper than getting a plane ticket back to Canada lol

If the bike is older and the value low just have your relative tell the ministry they paid $1 and pay the $0.13 tax

Who cares how old or valuable it is? If there's no book value just do this.

Yeaaars ago, my mother gifted her old car to me - i had to go with her into the city centre to speak with a justice who officiated documentation for the transfer. They wouldn't do it without her present.

Well, I'll be heading back to Canada afterall, so this is becoming moot point, but thank you all for chiming in! I'm sure someone will find this useful in the future :)

When buying my dads truck I didn't bother with any of this. The clerk noticed we had the same last name and asked if I was related. I told her it was my dad and she waved the taxes right there and then. Pretty awesome of her to do for me.

When buying my dads truck I didn't bother with any of this. The clerk noticed we had the same last name and asked if I was related. I told her it was my dad and she waved the taxes right there and then. Pretty awesome of her to do for me.

isolated incident. You had a kind agent - i had one once.

"how much did you pay for your bike?"
-me: about 5k
"sorry, i didn't hear...did you say 1000 dollars?"
-me: no
"Ok, so i heard right...1000..."

you get nice ones, but for the purposes of the thread, you have to have an official declare the relationship to make the transaction valid.

isolated incident. You had a kind agent - i had one once.

"how much did you pay for your bike?"
-me: about 5k
"sorry, i didn't hear...did you say 1000 dollars?"
-me: no
"Ok, so i heard right...1000..."

you get nice ones, but for the purposes of the thread, you have to have an official declare the relationship to make the transaction valid.

I would've just reached around and put a dot behind the first zero. :cool:

My dad tried to give me a bike one time....... Required notarized affidavit etc. In the end he "sold" it to me for $1.

Gave a bike to my brother in law twice at the office without any taxes.

He did have to pay all of his outstanding fines though.

My dad tried to give me a bike one time....... Required notarized affidavit etc. In the end he "sold" it to me for $1.

For bikes it's not worth the effort to get an affidavit, since you can sell them for $1. I actually had a $1 transaction for a bike and the MTO agent actually changed it to zero so I didn't pay any tax at all, just the $14 transfer fee.

Back
Top Bottom