Why do group rides bring out so many morons? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why do group rides bring out so many morons?

More than a couple of the articles you posted had 2 - 5 bikes riding together. I would hardly call that a "group ride". I normally avoid group rides like the plague. I did one earlier this summer with a friend as it was for a charity. It was about 30 bikes most of which were cruisers. The sport bikes were very well behaved the only incident I saw that was of concern was that a cruiser almost rear ended another cruiser because they weren't paying attention. But that is hardly a reason to begin a thread titled "why do cruiser riders in group rides not pay attention?"

I'll only group ride with friends, I've seen enough of the chaos that passes for "group rides" on GTAM. Tuesday night, I got passed by 7 or 8 SS's doing well over 100km/h in a 60, blowing lights, filtering. I have no sympathy for them when the reaper pays them a visit. My only hope when I read these collision stories is that they only take themselves to the grave rather than bystanders.

It isn't about sports riders, it's about people. You as an example, seem to have a real deep dislike for motorcycle riders (i gather from all your posts) but yet insist in hanging around a motorcycle forum, now I know what your response is going to be, you are going to say that you don't dislike motorcycle riders but just the bad ones which is BS.

People are self centered and selfish, it is all about themselves, this is motorcycle riders, truck drivers and soccer moms, it is just todays culture, so spare us your BS self righteous attitude about riders and maybe join a PIG forum, I am sure you will find others with your same sentiments

Thank you, that was worded so well lol

I'd like to believe these incidents are rare and not a majority. All of the riders I know would stop to help another rider.

Last edited:
I'll only group ride with friends, I've seen enough of the chaos that passes for "group rides" on GTAM. Tuesday night, I got passed by 7 or 8 SS's doing well over 100km/h in a 60, blowing lights, filtering. I have no sympathy for them when the reaper pays them a visit. My only hope when I read these collision stories is that they only take themselves to the grave rather than bystanders.
I agree with you. I don't feel sorry for them when the reaper comes for a visit, I feel sorry for their families in the aftermath.

Thanks for writing this. Imo, completely accurate.

I too used to lead/host many group rides. We never left anybody behind and always stopped for crashed riders.

What I don't get is why turbogriff stays on a forum that he just bashes and reports the misfortunes of motorcycle riders. I honestly just don't get it......

It isn't about sports riders, it's about people. You as an example, seem to have a real deep dislike for motorcycle riders (i gather from all your posts) but yet insist in hanging around a motorcycle forum, now I know what your response is going to be, you are going to say that you don't dislike motorcycle riders but just the bad ones which is BS.

People are self centered and selfish, it is all about themselves, this is motorcycle riders, truck drivers and soccer moms, it is just todays culture, so spare us your BS self righteous attitude about riders and maybe join a PIG forum, I am sure you will find others with your same sentiments

I used to host rides, many times I stayed behind to help people, I am friend with riders that have not only stayed at the scene of the accident but have gone out of their way to help those hurt riders after wards - Like Cops, there are bad riders and there are good ones.

Only reason I no longer host motorcycle group rides is because of this trend of people bringing gopro cameras and then posting the ride on youtube, when I did host rides or participated on them, 99% of people were awesome, but there was always the one or two ****** bags, there were also a lot of BAD riders with no skill whatsoever so now I am staying away.

Most experienced riders....................."i used to do group rides"...

I used to do more group rides than I do these days, as there are a lot of reasons I enjoy riding solo. That said, when I do ride in a group I prefer it to be a group of friends where we all know each other and how we ride, vs larger group rides where I might know 2 out of the 20 people going. When I am in the latter, I typically always hang back with the sweep, until I see how those in front of me ride. Also after a few rides it isn't hard to see if things are a good fit, or if you're in a group that pulls stupid things, or has bikes that go down on a consistent basis...and I avoid those groups like the plague.

Sportsbikes especially SS bikes are fast and maneuverable, and given those traits, it seems there are lots who ride them who shouldn't be...and they ride them aggressively with an invincibility complex.

This is far too typical.

Of the people hear protesting that they always stop when fellow members in their group rides crash, think about that for a moment. You always stop? Always? Crashes happen so often on your group rides that you ALWAYS stop? That in itself displays a problem with certain kinds of group rides.

This is far too typical.

Of the people hear protesting that they always stop when fellow members in their group rides crash, think about that for a moment. You always stop? Always? Crashes happen so often on your group rides that you ALWAYS stop? That in itself displays a problem with certain kinds of group rides.

Maybe because sportbike riders seek out challenging twisty roads where crashes are more probable vs cruiser riders who head over to your local ice cream shop to hang out.

This is far too typical.

Griff your being way too literal. They didn't imply the crashes happen on EVERY single group ride. The merely intimated that IF or when a crash happens then they will always stop for that rider as opposed to only sometimes stopping. This could mean that they go on 100 group rides and of those 100 there are 3 crashes total and that they stop for each of those three crashes, not that they go out on 100 group rides an there are at least 100 crashes and they stop for those 100.

There is a video on youtube of cruisers there must have been at least 100 bikes that were in camera view, no idea how many total bikes thee were on the group ride, but abotu 30 of them crash in one incident. Cruiser riders tend to be older demographic and therefore less likely to embrace technology, and social media, which is why we see higher number of videos showing poor riding by younger people on sport bikes. I ride my cruiser with TWO cameras, (one front facing and one rear facing), they roll ALL the time I am on the bike. Yet I have never posted a single second of footage to youtube.

This is far too typical.

I understand now, your IQ is just not that high to understand concepts, not an insult, just an observation.

I have been riding on and off for over 30 years, so I have been in MANY group rides, from all those MANY group rides the times when there was an accident I ALWAYS stopped. Somehow you understood that we ALWAYS have an accident which is why I say your IQ must not be too high.

On a positive note, just came back from a doctors appointment and on my way there, I saw a dude on a harley with a t-shirt on and gave me the biggest smile and said hello, guy was truly enjoying himself and made me smile, makes me feel so much better to see that not everyone has Griff2's attitude towards other riders

Last edited:
This is far too typical.

I have to agree that I thought the same thing when I first read it. But I believe the intent was that they leave no rider behind; stuck, out of gas, flat tire, or yes, a crash.

I don't think that I have nearly enough experience for a group ride. I usually ride alone. I've gone for some treks with 2 or 3 other riders. That's cool and all, but then I'm a little stressed about who's in front behind etc. I ride ro destress.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I don't lead many group rides, but I usually join 3 or 4 each season. I'm selective about which rides I join, and if I'm not comfortable I just indicate that I'm leaving the ride.
You get a feel for the different people on GTAM, it's not to hard to know which groups rides are going to go well.
My all-time favourite question on a ride thread: "will the route involve any highway? I'm still on my M1." It's usually asked on a "spirited rides" thread. Lol

I have to agree that I thought the same thing when I first read it. But I believe the intent was that they leave no rider behind; stuck, out of gas, flat tire, or yes, a crash.

I don't think that I have nearly enough experience for a group ride. I usually ride alone. I've gone for some treks with 2 or 3 other riders. That's cool and all, but then I'm a little stressed about who's in front behind etc. I ride ro destress.

What do you mean that you don't think you have nearly enough experience"? If you are riding legally and prudently, just how much experience do you need to ride on public roads at legal and prudent limits?

Your own post reveals much about the problem of certain "group rides".

If a group ride is going beyond that, then it falls into the realm of riding that too often ends up with a bike down and onlookers and residents along those roads disgusted with the motorcycling display they have witnessed.

What do you mean that you don't think you have nearly enough experience"? If you are riding legally and prudently, just how much experience do you need to ride on public roads at legal and prudent limits?

Your own post reveals much about the problem of certain "group rides".

If a group ride is going beyond that, then it falls into the realm of riding that too often ends up with a bike down and onlookers and residents along those roads disgusted with the motorcycling display they have witnessed.

What are you on about? Joe probably believes that it takes a certain level of focus and skill to ride in close(ish) proximity to other bikes for prolonged periods of time. Then you go and dump all over him for being cautious and responsible. Nice.
Do you simply feel the need to be contrary?

What are you on about? Joe probably believes that it takes a certain level of focus and skill to ride in close(ish) proximity to other bikes for prolonged periods of time. Then you go and dump all over him for being cautious and responsible. Nice.
Thanks Iceman. That is what I was getting at. Rather than put fellow riders, myself, and anyone else at risk, I'll stick with a small group, or be a lone wolf.
Hey, Griff -- no ice cream for you.

Thanks Iceman. That is what I was getting at. Rather than put fellow riders, myself, and anyone else at risk, I'll stick with a small group, or be a lone wolf.
Hey, Griff -- no ice cream for you.

Ice cream and asphalt!
Representin yo. :D

First group ride I was on was around 2008 and it was the last for me, prefer running solo...great bunch of guys i met though!:D

Griff is definitely turbo - it is the pattern of ignoring posts where he is totally called out, presented with facts and logic, and just harping on his own agenda... Gets old really quickly...

I'm not dumping on him. And there is a difference between riding in formation (as many cruiser rides do at a sedate pace), and riding in close proximity while blasting around twisties at an ahem "spirited pace".

Back
Top Bottom