Friday Oct 9 Gravel Rip -- Big bike friendly. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Friday Oct 9 Gravel Rip -- Big bike friendly.

I would like that 19" front wheel, 2" raised and upgraded suspension from Rally Raid. I just can't do it when my stock stuff is not damaged or worn yet.

I would like that 19" front wheel, 2" raised and upgraded suspension from Rally Raid. I just can't do it when my stock stuff is not damaged or worn yet.

We can always damage it for you....

heheh. What kind of tires do you have? I'd like to put some TKC80's on my bike, but can't stand the thought of pulling brand new Conti Trail Attack 2's off.

If I keep going on rides with Alon I will get the wheels on no time.

I have TKC80's on mine, I highly recommend them. On and off road they have excellant grip. I only had 10k on my stockers before I changed them.

If I keep going on rides with Alon I will get the wheels on no time.

I have TKC80's on mine, I highly recommend them. On and off road they have excellant grip. I only had 10k on my stockers before I changed them.

How many km on the TKCs so far and how are they wearing?

I happen to have 2 sets of wheels for my Vstrom now, so I plan to keep a set of knobbies and a set of street tires.

I only have 2k on it and people get 8k on the big bikes like the R1200GS, I should get more like 10k.

You will not find any negative reviews on them grip wise.

Nam, your bike needs ground clearance and more suspension travel - there must be easier ways to cope with that apart from Rally Raid huge $$$ - having said that, you'd also need a longer side stand. I'm not sure that I'd bother with an expensive 19/17 conversion as that won't get you the narrow width rims required for off road (unless you go with a custom spoked set) and at that point, you'll just crave the front 21" for its narrow width, huge choice of tires and the rolling ease associated with the larger diameter front wheel. I find the going to a 19" and having to use a 110 tire up front won't offer you much more than your current 17" with a 120 front tire - soend your money on a new KTM 500EXC 6 Days edition :)

As for anyone running 19/17 wheels on their bikes and if you're looking at TKC80s, they're extremely good tires and last a decent amount of time/use on normal bikes but the KTM 1190 adventure literally eats those things up given the power and weight - expect no more than 3500km for the rears. I ran Metzler Karoo 3s on my 1190 adventure and same thing - eaten up in 3500km of mixed road and gravel. This may not seem too bad to some people until you look at the price tag but Shinko offers an amazing alternative (continental manufacturers some of the Shinko tires).
Look at these bad-boys: http://www.petes-superbike.com/sr804805-extreme-dual-sport-c-2234_1_4368_6828.html
The pricing is literally half (if not even less) than a TKC80 and they are almost identical in pattern and apparently the same exact construction and compound. Kenda offers their Big Block adventure tire in similar (actually more) price range but I've heard that they're deadly on wet tarmac.

And what's the deal for today? - you guys actually going riding in this crappy weather? Depending on time and place, I may drag my *** out for some riding if you're doing gravel, road allowances, dirt, etc - I'm not in the mood for a long road ride on the bike bike today.

It looks like the rain has mostly stopped, so we're riding the short (4.5) hour run I posted above, basically gravel and a rail trail. If you want to come, be at the esso at the end of the 404 at 11am and we'll stop in.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Nam, your bike needs ground clearance and more suspension travel - there must be easier ways to cope with that apart from Rally Raid huge $$$ - having said that, you'd also need a longer side stand. I'm not sure that I'd bother with an expensive 19/17 conversion as that won't get you the narrow width rims required for off road (unless you go with a custom spoked set) and at that point, you'll just crave the front 21" for its narrow width, huge choice of tires and the rolling ease associated with the larger diameter front wheel. I find the going to a 19" and having to use a 110 tire up front won't offer you much more than your current 17" with a 120 front tire - soend your money on a new KTM 500EXC 6 Days edition :)

As for anyone running 19/17 wheels on their bikes and if you're looking at TKC80s, they're extremely good tires and last a decent amount of time/use on normal bikes but the KTM 1190 adventure literally eats those things up given the power and weight - expect no more than 3500km for the rears. I ran Metzler Karoo 3s on my 1190 adventure and same thing - eaten up in 3500km of mixed road and gravel. This may not seem too bad to some people until you look at the price tag but Shinko offers an amazing alternative (continental manufacturers some of the Shinko tires).
Look at these bad-boys: http://www.petes-superbike.com/sr804805-extreme-dual-sport-c-2234_1_4368_6828.html
The pricing is literally half (if not even less) than a TKC80 and they are almost identical in pattern and apparently the same exact construction and compound. Kenda offers their Big Block adventure tire in similar (actually more) price range but I've heard that they're deadly on wet tarmac.

I've been told i'm incredibly hard on tires.... Maybe look at the shinkos.

Based upon your formula the TKC80's would last me 1500KM... Lol.

Sorry guys, I'm a bit slow so please bear with me...I see the post where you're suggesting a shorter ride that sounds like mostly gravel with an "investigation" of a rail trail/etc and the Bethany big bike tracks but I can't tell which map image posted reflects that ride. Also, I know you're coming in from Mississauga and you're suggesting we meet at the top of the 404 (ravenshoe, green lane, whatever it is) but that isn't anywhere near the Bethany big bike routes. Lastly, since I want to take my little bike, I need to avoid slabbing on Tarmac so I can get more than 500km out of my off road tires so ideally, I'd trailer to meet up with you (at the proposed top of 404) and ride from there which means I need to get back there to get back to my truck. Can this work at all as I'm not seeing what you're proposing as being a loop. Sorry and thanks

Hey Alon, try to gives us a bit more heads up next time. As it turns out we all could've used true dirt bikes, not the overweight cows we brought.

I always say I never wash my bikes but today I washed it twice...

Thanks for the ride Mike and nice seeing you again Chase!

Yep, it was a great ride although a bit cool and a bit wet (more so for those who's bikes decided they wanted a bath).

0cjwg4O.jpg

oCR3bxR.jpg

Mike: Don't worry Chase there won't be mud this time.

NXqwbvK.jpg
lmEbVt9.jpg
624MrYT.jpg

BUDDY.....................

lol.

Last edited:
Why I decided to go through the lake is beyond me.... Found out the 1190 is pretty capable even with sport touring tires. Can't imagine with TKC80's or something.

Mike: Don't worry Chase there won't be mud this time.

BUDDY.....................

lol.

hehehe

Those pics don't do that hill any justice. I made it about 1/2 way up before my nearly bald tire started spinning on a rock. I managed to walk the bike about another 3' before I figured I'd better turn around as I would never get up that hill with those tires (shinko 705 -- rear has nearly 16000km on it and is very close to being toast).

Looks like I missed a great day and a fantastic ride. Glad everyone had fun and nobody drowned. :)
I got to spend most of my day running my crane downtown Toronto. :(

Heads up up with respect to what? You don't dig a hole in the ground with a screwdriver, do you? No, you use a shovel - right tool for the right job :) - that's why you need more than one bike...anyway, I didn't know what type of terrain you were going to ride but I'm sorry I didn't finish up my business early enough to have joined you. Hope you guys had a good time regardless and I'm planning to ride on Monday if anyone wants to ride - yes, off road but nothing gnarlier than what I took Nam on and he was a champ on a street bike.

Hey Alon, try to gives us a bit more heads up next time. As it turns out we all could've used true dirt bikes, not the overweight cows we brought.

I always say I never wash my bikes but today I washed it twice...

Thanks for the ride Mike and nice seeing you again Chase!

Why I decided to go through the lake is beyond me.... Found out the 1190 is pretty capable even with sport touring tires. Can't imagine with TKC80's or something.
The trail attacks are surprisingly good and I cant get Kenda K775s for my 1190 like I run on the KLX and CRF ;)

Back
Top Bottom