VW deisel?? wtf... | Page 22 | GTAMotorcycle.com

VW deisel?? wtf...

VW is a Ben Johnson of the automotive world.

And even if some manufacturers are not cheating, they are still designing their vehicles to accommodate testing procedures which quite often results in uneven power delivery in real life situations.

Even look at some of the OE tires that are being placed on new vehicles. They truly suck but they will shave 3-4% off emissions, who cares that you'll have to replace them within 50,000km? Surely not the manufacturer nor the "green" advocates.

And even if some manufacturers are not cheating, they are still designing their vehicles to accommodate testing procedures which quite often results in uneven power delivery in real life situations.

The amount of designing to the test by all manufacturers is shocking. The first thing that comes to mind are all of the ford ecoboosts with real world economy numbers a mile from the test results. That being said, the limits were created assuming this, they are not achievable without the games (much of the testing is conducted at a special test facility with 1% negative slope and LRR pavement as it improves results by a few %).

Test procedures should be updated to reasonably represent the real world which would remove many of these games. Manufacturers and politicians will never let that happen as having fuel economy numbers collapse at the same time as emissions jump is not politically palatable.

Wise people following the industry for decades have said in the very very beginning, that this is hardly VW issue only. It's pretty widespread across the board. You made diesel powered passenger cars sold worldwide (not some special application limited volume engines) you played the game of trying and not getting caught.

Having said that, VW (including mainly Audi) will always have a special place on the pedestal .... for a reason. They have taken it to another level ( for example their group company Audi kept selling "enhanced" cars well after all cards were on the table (VW and ignorance is a marriage in heaven, apparently). This will not end anytime soon, I still think they will have to pay, and not little, for their impact mainly in Europe, at the end of the day (so far they have gotten away with murder on the old continent; only people hurting are owners with tainted cars and not working really that great after their BS fix). Yeah, I know, Germany government will always have their back, but sooner or later some reasonable compromise will have to be made and them (perhaps the German government including) will have to open up their fat coffers again ...

Test procedures should be updated to reasonably represent the real world which would remove many of these games. Manufacturers and politicians will never let that happen as having fuel economy numbers collapse at the same time as emissions jump is not politically palatable.

I am not sure ... regarding fuel economy cheating, perhaps real world test would be welcome, for consumer (although who has not learned yet over the years ... too good to be true will always be too good to be true, right?) But for emissions ... the problem was that they allowed them to police themselves ... until someone stuck an actual probe set up in the muffler and drove around. So, the test doesn't have to be real world commute scenario, but you want to be tough, than you need to actually measure the emissions, albeit on some test pad as long as it's repeatable and covers variety of engine modes. Don't take their word for it and do not allow a stupid list of 100 excuses why this part of system doesn't work under this or that scenario. Like weather under 0C and engine temp less than optimal do not run module A ....

If you are not willing to do that, lets not be hypocritical here and lets drop the emissions BS, because everyone will simply cheat ...

September 1st is deadline for submission of all paperwork for Canadian dieselgate car payments. I thought I had until Dec 31, but apparently the cars must be fixed or returned by then.

For mine it looks like I either get $5500 cash and keep the car or $20,500 and give it back/trade it in. 0.08$/km depreciation is pretty damned good. The smart move is probably give it back, but it has extended warranty to 250,000 km. Decisions, decisions.

FWIW, some people are reporting no change with the fix, others say they are down in power. All notice fuel mileage is worse. I haven't see actual before/after dyno runs.

Last edited:
September 1st is deadline for submission of all paperwork for Canadian dieselgate car payments. I thought I had until Dec 31, but apparently the cars must be fixed or returned by then.

For mine it looks like I either get $5500 cash and keep the car or $20,500 and give it back/trade it in. 0.08$/km depreciation is pretty damned good. The smart move is probably give it back, but it has extended warranty to 250,000 km. Decisions, decisions.

FWIW, some people are reporting no change with the fix, others say they are down in power. All notice fuel mileage is worse. I haven't see actual before/after dyno runs.

what's the value on the car itself ? $20,500 ?

Ours is one of the very last 2015's with the emissions "fix". 3.9L/100 @ 100kph, 5.0L/100 mixed driving, which I would call quite reasonable. It is down on power for sure though, but its the wife's car and that's probably a good thing.

Seems like a easy decision

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The new ones aren't as nice. They have made some decisions to hit price points (eg. seats in my Mk6 have now been moved up to highline, plastics seem crappier etc.).

An automatic would help as my wife and I could easily swap cars. The three possible choices now are a 2017 sportwagen tiptronic with 25,000 km for $0, a 2016 Autobahn GTI with 60,000 km for $6,000 or a 2018 sportwagen 4motion DSG (they won't sell you DSG without 4motion unless you buy a GTI) for $11,000. Leaning towards the 2018 but haven't decided yet.

I just brought home a 2016 q5 TDI with low km 29K, wanted a tdi for the wife's commute and tow our trailer from time to time, when warranty is up will add delete kit and have tuned.

And yesterday Cummins diesel , the engine in the Dodgey Ram has been scamming for a decade , reduced emissions during truck testing and pollution plus mode will driving .
Settlement will be 1 billion plus . They have come “clean” lol , and are upfront it was no accident.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

OH that sucks for Dodge and their shareholders. But hopefully the terrible news will lower the prices in the used market as I am looking for a clean regular cab 6.7 a step up from the 5.0 f150.

Back
Top Bottom