VW deisel?? wtf... | Page 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

VW deisel?? wtf...

Lol.

I went to VW Canada directly and the dealer as well. Not sure why I would be questioned on this in the first place.

I have not seen you mentioning clearly that you had a claim opened with VW Canada directly, my impression was you mentioned only a dealer.

I find it interesting and very strange that their own warranty book mentions it and they have replaced quite a few DPF's under warranty, yet they chose to screw you. I guess anything is possible in today's world.

On the radio today I heard that VW has set aside about 8 billion Euros to deal with the skunk tests. Apparently they have about three times that in the bank so it's not putting them under.

I have not seen you mentioning clearly that you had a claim opened with VW Canada directly, my impression was you mentioned only a dealer.

I find it interesting and very strange that their own warranty book mentions it and they have replaced quite a few DPF's under warranty, yet they chose to screw you. I guess anything is possible in today's world.

Yes sir. I called them directly, as well as e-mailing them in detail about my issue. And of course going to the dealership as well. I was given the message that I either had to get it cleaned or get it replaced (which would've cost me close to 4 grand!). I even asked if it's covered within the emissions warranty but to no avail.

Is a clogged DPF considered a failure, or just a normal circumstance of certain driving habits? Isn't there a DPF regen warning before it clogs? If so, it could explain why some are replaced under warranty (due to failure) and some are not (due to lack of servicing).

It's a failure AND it is a consequence of certain driving habits (short trips and gentle low speed city driving).

In VW's infinite wisdom, they did not include a "regen in process" indication (which trucks typically have). They didn't want to put anything in the car that normal average everyday people wouldn't understand. So there is a DPF warning lamp but it only comes on when the soot loading is starting to go critical, and then it may or may not be able to recover.

Someone who does short trips at city-traffic speeds could very well interrupt a DPF regeneration after the end of their short trip, then the next time they drive the car and do the same short trip it tries an active regen again which gets interrupted again, and so on until it clogs because it is never able to regenerate. Fuel consumption is terrible in these situations because the controls are constantly trying to keep the exhaust temperature up.

People with diesel pickup trucks understand "If this indication comes on, keep on driving until it turns off", why couldn't people with cars understand that?

Diesels like long trips and working hard. Always have. These are no different, but city driving and short trips and gentle driving is even worse for them. Someone who drives 130 km/h for an hour every day will probably never need an active DPF regeneration. That's what these cars are designed for ... they don't like to be babied.

Also, the first couple years of these cars (2009-2010) had issues with the DPF element cracking internally, which then causes soot to get past and causes other parts of the system to fail. I think mxs went through that with his ...

On my old commute to work (30km each way, mostly on 80 km/h roads with a few stop signs at each end), I got active regens happening. I learned to watch the tach at the stop sign before my house. 1000 rpm at idle means go blasting around for a bit. I would prefer an idiot light.

Also, the first couple years of these cars (2009-2010) had issues with the DPF element cracking internally, which then causes soot to get past and causes other parts of the system to fail. I think mxs went through that with his ...

Yep .... And just for the record, my car stopped doing a regen at the time as well. I simply could not force it into regen regardless how I drove. At tat point the dealer established that my DPF is ****ed and needs to be replaced ....

Big numbers in and approved by the Feds .... http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2016/06/feds-outline-diesel-emissions-settlement-with-vw/

I'd love to know how they applied the math though .... 475000 cars on US roads + 100000 on CAD roads = 575000 * X = 10Bil. (must cover the worst case scenario if everyone buys back) = 17391USD/car but including an owner compensation. So at avg compensation 5000USD per owner, they are really marking up about 12000 USD per vehicle.

Which sounds like an OK number ... on average. At least to me. Or am I way off?

Now if you opt for the modification to improve your car's emissions, how will that affect your mileage? Did VW say anywhere that if you opt for the modification that your mileage will suffer?

Given that none of the proposed fixes have been approved yet, no one knows. I've advised my sister to take the money and run.

Given that none of the proposed fixes have been approved yet, no one knows. I've advised my sister to take the money and run.

I've done the same with my brother... Not knowing the details yet we're left to speculate, but I imagine the fix will not be consumer beneficial

If Canada were to receive the same type of settlement, i'd take probably take the buyout option as well. My only concern being how they would assess the value of my car. Market Value + Incentive? Slightly above Market Value + Incentive?

It sucks for people who've paid off their car and want nothing to do with monthly payments again for a vehicle.

I've done the same with my brother... Not knowing the details yet we're left to speculate, but I imagine the fix will not be consumer beneficial
I know of a stupid dealership that "sold a friend a 2016 TDI" but until they've fixed the problem they can't actually sell one. So they've been lending him vehicles until the fix is out. Now this current scenario i think might be fakkin over the dealership, cause he's at his 3rd lent vehicle while his "brand new" TDI still is sitting at 0km and being paid off lol

I know of a stupid dealership that "sold a friend a 2016 TDI" but until they've fixed the problem they can't actually sell one. So they've been lending him vehicles until the fix is out. Now this current scenario i think might be fakkin over the dealership, cause he's at his 3rd lent vehicle while his "brand new" TDI still is sitting at 0km and being paid off lol

Are the 2016's not urea injection equipped? I'm not sure, but I thought they were. If yes, they won't suffer the same performance and economy issues the non-urea injection models will.. I don't think

Are the 2016's not urea injection equipped? I'm not sure, but I thought they were. If yes, they won't suffer the same performance and economy issues the non-urea injection models will.. I don't think
Thats true but until the stop-sale has been lifted, its not happening! "What diesels can’t I buy?Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche dealers can’t sell any new diesels. Additional certified pre-owned diesels are also under stop-sale orders. "

Back
Top Bottom