VW deisel?? wtf... | GTAMotorcycle.com

VW deisel?? wtf...

crankcall

Site Supporter
So it appears VW engineered the onboard computer to enable emissions when being tested then cutout and spew 40 times the legal limits when not connected to a test unit. Facing 18 billion in fines, 37,000 dollars for each car sold. And there is no way this engineering could be done without the CEO (an engineer) knowing, yet he still has a job.
Sales of diesel vehicles suspended in Canada. Sneaky Germans.

As soon as computers became an integral part of cars the games began. For instance, I can't imagine that Ford hasn't tinkered with Eco boost controls to improve their tested mpg. The more interesting thing for me is how much real world hp and mpg will be lost by the fix.

Question is, what other manufacturers are doing the same thing?

Love my VW TDI. Even spouting off 10 to 40 times more pollution than tested. Lol.

Just crossing my fingers they don't mandate a fix that will mess up performance or the engine management to fail sooner. So far, so good.

Love my VW TDI. Even spouting off 10 to 40 times more pollution than tested. Lol.

I'm sure it's a great car, however would you make the same purchase knowing that the car was way more polluting than originally thought?

People will continue driving them because frankly...the diesel saves them money at the pumps, and the pollution is everyone else's problem.

There's some of course that bought it for the huge fuel savings (although not sure it's worth the added $ for diesel motor) but they may take up issue and start a class action against VW as well.

when our kids grow up retarded and brain damaged, I'll be sure to thank you.....

Yes, that is exactly what's happening.

Although the ENTIRE automotive industry only accounts for 20% of the air pollution problem, THAT is the reason your kids will be brain damaged.

I'm sure it's a great car, however would you make the same purchase knowing that the car was way more polluting than originally thought?

People will continue driving them because frankly...the diesel saves them money at the pumps, and the pollution is everyone else's problem.

There's some of course that bought it for the huge fuel savings (although not sure it's worth the added $ for diesel motor) but they may take up issue and start a class action against VW as well.

Just about every TDI owner I know, has chipped their car. Whether right or wrong, it increases their HP, Torque and gets them much better fuel mileage.

There is no doubt I'm disappointed. But, the VW is still better than the emissions expelled by my Harley or Buell.

Tbh, I still think there are a bunch of other manufacturers that have done the same thing. Will be interesting to see how things unfold.

Gotta protect those domestics.

Coincidence that GM headquarters is in Michigan? EPA testing is in Ann Arbor? ......

Exactly what i was thinking. VW should absolutely face the consequences but GM CEOs or whoever was in charge of hiding the defects, need to be taken to criminal court! Mny people are dead because of those defects. But no, lets use VW as a smoke screen. SMH

[h=2]Past auto scandals[/h]VW is far from being the first car manufacturer to be hit with a scandal. Here are some of the biggest in recent years:

• Kia, Hyundai fuel efficiency: The affiliated companies inflated their fuel efficiency figures and were forced to pay out almost $70 million after losing a class-action lawsuit.

• Fiat Chrysler hack: The company was forced to recall 1.4 million vehicles after hackers showed they were able to take control of a Jeep via the internet.

• GM ignition switch: 2.6 million General Motors vehicles had faulty ignition switches, which caused at least 100 deaths and forced the company to pay millions in claims and lawsuits.

• Takata airbags: The company declared 33.8 million airbags defective because they could activate with too much force, blowing apart a metal inflator and sending shrapnel into the passenger compartment.
  • Toyota accelerator, brake problems: The company recalled more than 14 million vehicles starting in 2009 to deal with sticking gas pedals, floor mats that could jam the accelerator, and brake issues. It paid more than $1.2 billion in fines and penalties for delays reporting information about defects.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/c...volkswagen-s-emissions-test-rigging-1.3237589

I'm just worried I'm going to have to give back the best car I have ever owned or they are going to have to fix it which will make it crap.

I'm more shocked they were actually able to make an electronic device that worked as intended...

Back
Top Bottom