VW deisel?? wtf... | Page 20 | GTAMotorcycle.com

VW deisel?? wtf...

They cannot do that ... Part of the settlement is that these vehicles cannot be in any way or form be sold elsewhere. I am pretty sure they will not play with fire and EPA trying to sell them as parts and reassemble later.

They cannot do that ... Part of the settlement is that these vehicles cannot be in any way or form be sold elsewhere. I am pretty sure they will not play with fire and EPA trying to sell them as parts and reassemble later.
They can be resold or exported if an EPA approved modification is done.

It would be a travesty if the EPA forced them to scrap all those cars. All that wasted energy to manufacture and distribute scrap? Yikes.

At this point it's not about common sense, it's about punishing VW so hard that neither they nor anyone else will be tempted to do something like this again.

There is millions of dollars of value in components and parts that have nothing to do with the diesel issue. They may be used as collision repair or sold as used parts, exported as parts to other corners of the world. Crushing a few hundred thousand cars is not likely to happen.

VW will still bleed millions, and be 'punished' . Some recovery will come from the value of whats left once the diesel is rendered un useable.

They can be resold or exported if an EPA approved modification is done.

It would be a travesty if the EPA forced them to scrap all those cars. All that wasted energy to manufacture and distribute scrap? Yikes.

Right, but that is not likely ... thousands of engineers have been at it for a couple of years and came with nothing. I also think that EPA is determined to not pass any solution they could come up with. They just struck them down on the 3.0L ... at some point, it will make sense to move the engineers to something else, more future promising rather than mitigating bottom line impact. whatever they come up with they will not be able to use anyway ... the diesel path is done, at least in the developed world of passenger cars.

Last edited:
There is millions of dollars of value in components and parts that have nothing to do with the diesel issue. They may be used as collision repair or sold as used parts, exported as parts to other corners of the world. Crushing a few hundred thousand cars is not likely to happen.

VW will still bleed millions, and be 'punished' . Some recovery will come from the value of whats left once the diesel is rendered un useable.

I haven't read that they will not be able to recycle parts as a part of the scrap program. Was that specifically sad somewhere that they have to crush them? My understanding is that no cars can come out of the settlement ... unless they can find a fix.

It's not quite that bad ... They have to remove the ECU and the catalytic converter system from any bought-back cars and those parts can't be re-sold, but anything beyond that point is fair game for reselling parts. If there is a "fix", they can fix and resell them, and this applies even if the cars are to be exported. If there is no "fix" then they're only good for parts ... but how many collisions are there going to be in order to sell parts from 400,000 cars?

It's not quite that bad ... They have to remove the ECU and the catalytic converter system from any bought-back cars and those parts can't be re-sold, but anything beyond that point is fair game for reselling parts. If there is a "fix", they can fix and resell them, and this applies even if the cars are to be exported. If there is no "fix" then they're only good for parts ... but how many collisions are there going to be in order to sell parts from 400,000 cars?

Are you saying they can't fix these cars by flashing the ECU for them to comply.
Yes, they might lose hp but at the end of the day we are not talking about supercars.
It just seems odd they can't find a fix.

No, any fix if there is one, is going to involve additional hardware. Even the latest models apparently don't have sufficient sensors to detect failure of the SCR catalyst (which deals with NOx) and they can't detect if someone puts something other than AdBlue DEF in the additive tank.

Plus, the customers will not accept any drastic decrease in performance, so even if they could push the emissions to acceptable level to EPA, the customers would not take that. So there's a limitation in solutions as well.

BTW, I got a letter today from one of the lawyer's firm registered to handle the class action in Ontario. Not sure how they got my name and address, but I assume VW had to provide it to them. July 29 seems to be a date they will provide more info.

Maybe vw has/will crank out a batch of 2.0T's to repower the TDI's and resell them like city golfs for $10-15,000. Brand new motor in a low mileage car with warranty for a low enough price shouldn't be hard to sell. The high mileage cars will be hard to salvage.

^ An engine swap is unlikely. Too much stuff is different between the gas and diesel engines - including the transmission (which has different internal gear ratios). It's a very expensive proposition.

Can you imagine what the labor costs would be on an exercise like this?

Can you imagine what the labor costs would be on an exercise like this?

Most efficient way I've found to swap on newer VW's is to pull the front clip; yeah the labour is up there ;)

Worst part about deiselgate is that due to cutbacks, we probably won't get the Clubsport here.

http://jalopnik.com/watch-the-gti-clubsport-set-a-nurburgring-record-two-se-1789788529

Where's your ugly little Civic now. Sunny?

Meh. As usual. The Germans have to cheat again. The rear seat of the vw was removed and they are only making 400 versions of it.

The Honda type r is only 1.4 seconds slower, mass produced, can be bought everywhere.

And oh yeah, it has a back seat so you can bring your friends along for the fun!

The Honda type r is only 1.4 seconds slower, mass produced, can be bought everywhere.

Show me a Honda dealer that has a Civic Type R with the air conditioning system + various other parts removed and R-spec closed course only tires sitting on the lot with a sticker on it. As usual, you omit the parts of the story that don't fall in line with your brand puffing diatribe.

Last edited:
As I said a year ago in this thread, VW's the only one they've caught, so far. Saying it was just them cheating is like saying there's only one liar at Queen's Park.

So will Chrysler be buying back your Dodge Ram now?

I still can't believe they haven't hauled BMW over the coals over their diesel X*s yet.

Doesn't look like the same category of cheating as VW. While the cars in question (or engine) were suspect for long time (not necessarily known to public) there's no evidence a classic defeat device like in VW's case. I've been suspecting for a long time that what FCA has done many if not all manufacturers have done as well. Meaning, comply during test cycle mode and let the emissions run higher in other modes. Only VW seemed to decide to implement ... if test mode full compliance on, if not forget it. Not what FCA has done ..... and probably many others.

I think it all started for VW 10 or so years ago when they rejected to license the AdBlue technology which would cost too much per car ... so they thought of something "better" for the US market (since it always had stricter emissions than Europe) ..... all the other modern diesels essentially run some form of AdBlue, so it's just matter of jacking up the figures to prevent higher NOx all the time, not just when in test mode.

Anyway, I assume FCA will come out of this without any harm. It will more than likely cost the owners extra AdBlue and fuel mileage and perhaps slap on wrist for FCA for not disclosing all software devices.

Back
Top Bottom