Where to base in Ohio | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to base in Ohio

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Playing hooky starting early Friday morning and heading down to Ohio. I was thinking of WV but there is a tropical storm lurking just to the south.

650x366_09201544_hd14.jpg

Weather looks good all 4 days....maybe too warm - have to think about gear. Above 80F the Scott is a tad warm.

650x366_09211631_hd23-3.jpg

"Looking ahead, while the pattern is not likely to deliver many more 80-degree days in the Northeast, warm weather fans cannot ask for much better weather for the latter part of September and the first part of October," Noll said.
Noll is referring to temperatures forecast to run 5-15 degrees above average in the Northeast for late September and early October. Even greater positive departures can occur in the Midwest.

Ride for two days.

Then likely slab home but might meander. The Honda bumps along nicely at 3400 rpm and 50-60 mph.
Questions

a) best rural area to base out of.

b) interesting route to take there - I have all day.

c) interesting roads around the base....paved and twists....Vstrom staying at home. Scenic and empty is preferred

I'll find my way home.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Marietta or Athens. Many great roads in this part of Ohio.

Okay looks like I'm on the right track ...there is a nice isolated AirBnB in New Lexington which is just north of Athens - room with internet $41 Cdn a night.

I actually don't mind that ride along the lake and then down 77.

714 by slab and right on top of the Triple Nickel.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/440/Ohio/The-Triple-Nickle---Route-555.html

Nother nicer place with breakfast and an experienced host for $75 Cdn a nice in Marietta ....686 km by slab.

Coming home could swing across South of Pittsburgh to Lancaster County and have a good feed on Amish food then home. Maybe even work a visit to Falling Water which is south of Pittsburg.

Actually thinking of reversing this a bit.
Hit Letchworth State Park on Friday for lunch ....yum

Grand Canyon of the East
Letchworth State Park in New York State is known as the Grand Canyon of the East...Voted BEST STATE PARK in USA in 2015
http://www.letchworthpark.com

...and then down to Falling Water
new_first.jpg

http://www.fallingwater.orgletchworth

where there is a decent place. 637 KM - lots on 219.

https://goo.gl/maps/rbvyGNr74Qo

Then over to Marietta ( 300 km or so ) for two days and slab home Monday.

Last edited:
Looks like you're in the right place. My Ohio riding experience is limited to the Triple Nickle, RT 555. Damn, what an absolutely amazing road.

Leave at 7 am and get to Letchworth for early lunch...then non-slab 119 or 219 to salibury PA ...Amish country then duck into Maryland to stay at the The Casselman Inn
113 East Main Street, Grantsville, MD, 21536 http://www.thecasselman.com
Amish breakfast buffet yum....
Paid for on travel points and very nice reviews. ...bit of a stretch - 683 km non-slab but as long as I get away at 7 am I'll be fine.
https://goo.gl/maps/RaMdWwBh6BC2

Just have to remember to not use Winding Roads on the TomTom app when there are intermediate towns.....it gets ahem "very interesting"

The easy ride to Fallingwater ( Mill Run Pa ) and over to Marietta ....not booked yet ...still have $250 left on the freebie budget.

Enough plotting for the nonce.

Last edited:
I usually base in Urichesville OH. It was but may no longer be a Best Western. Cheap, clean basic, park in front place. Most roads are good and I particularly like the small county ones. Roscoe Village at Coshocton is good plus all the usual Amish stuff.

I did the triple nickle but didn't think it was all that great. There are far better ones.

Extensive search had me creating this route last year....I don't know why.
I did most of it......wow is all i can say.
http://goo.gl/maps/yCmWN

Theres a Tims in Parkersburg if you care.
Also Hillbilly Hotdog is a must if you are in the area of Huntington.

I've been to OHSTOC 5 years in a row. Stay at Lake Hope State park, near Athens. A/C'd cabins are US $280 for 3 nights, usually split 4 ways or $70 each. Very nice roads in this area.

Marietta is a good base for Ohio and WV. Almost every road from Wheeling to Marietta is great. 26 is good but not the best one. If you don't want to take Hwy all the way - You can take the 62 from buffalo over to Hwy 79 then south.
I was thinking of going down on Sat for a week in that area and then WV and a bit south - I haven't committed yet as I may have another challenge coming up. I will know in a day or 2

Extensive search had me creating this route last year....I don't know why.
I did most of it......wow is all i can say.
http://goo.gl/maps/yCmWN

Theres a Tims in Parkersburg if you care.
Also Hillbilly Hotdog is a must if you are in the area of Huntington.
Its similar to what I just did this week though noy necessarily in that order. 78 has some roadwork going on and when they post signs for mowing keep a good heads up cuz it also includes tree trimming apparently by the branches strewn across the middle of the road - just beware. 26 is incredible 78 between McConnesville and Sharon is where you can open up a bit with high speed sweepers and decent sitelines - a lot of 555 has just been repaved

Glad I settled on the warm gear ...chilly along Lake Ontario, chilly south of Buffalo .....got warm for a while then semi-serious fog and generally cool and gray.

Stopped in at Falling Water today since I was ahead of schedule ....skipped Letchworth as I was making too good time and would not be hungry.

Had a single source coffee at Sheetz and now doing justice to an Amish buffet. Tasty and filling.

Some nice roads - bit sore from new bike

new area for me

The National Road, in many places known as Route 40, was built between 1811 and 1834 to reach the western settlements. It was the first federally funded road in U.S. history. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson believed that a trans-Appalachian road was necessary for unifying the young country. In 1806 Congress authorized construction of the road and President Jefferson signed the act establishing the National Road. It would connect Cumberland, Maryland to the Ohio River.

In 1811 the first contract was awarded and the first 10 miles of road built. By 1818 the road was completed to Wheeling and mail coaches began using the road. By the 1830s the federal government conveyed part of the road's responsibility to the states through which it runs. Tollgates and tollhouses were then built by the states, with the federal government taking responsibility for road repairs.

This inn doesn't go back quite that far

History of The Casselman

Built in 1842, The Casselman was one of the numerous inns along the National Trail to serve the stage coaches, covered wagons, drovers and riders that made the Old Pike the busiest thoroughfare crossing the mountains. In its over 180 years of history, the Casselman has been called Drover's Inn, Farmer's Hotel, Dorsey's Hotel, and The Casselman. Daniel Grant, an English engineer from whom Grantsville took its name, was the original owner of a tract of land that he called Cornucopia. It included much of Grantsville and one thousand acres around town. A later owner, Solomon Sterner, built The Casselman of brick that was handmade and burnt on this land. A fireplace in each room furnished heat and cooking facilities for the original building.

Kinda neat to think of those various travelers in this dining room
serious fireplace

Couple hours to Marietta tomorrow. Hope it gets a little less grey. NT is an okay tourer - not so agile but decent range and quiet enough on the highway ....chewed a long ways through one of the game of thrones books on Audible.

One minor scare when an engine warning came on that was just about impossible to find in the manual...Something with the emissions system...I think I gave it too much throttle starting - it stumbled a bit and the light came on and stayed on.
Thought maybe I blocked some intake under the seat with the tire kit - moved things around but nothing obvious...been fine since.

Not a twists bike at all but motors along smoothly at lowish RPM and rock stable.
Be fine once my muscles adjust a bit. I should take more breaks.

If you want a rider friendly spot

7311 Brick Church Rd, Cambridge, Ohio, I've rode the Triple Nickel as the call HWY 555, very curvey. But great ride if you don't take the turns like batman. I also have a garage if you need to put your motorcycle. I ride too, but got a flat tire right now. Are you traveling with someone or by yourself. (phone number hidden) house number.
Thanks
Charlene

$92 all in Canadian that is for two nights not one....$41 each night plus $10 cleaning

Last edited:
92 for 2 nights sounds like a deal to me Mac
I stayed in Cambridge last fall and it was expensive as hell.
Nice that it had a car was and a Tims but my room wasn't cheap
Enjoy the ride man.

AND a free meal tomorrow night too :D

make up for this :(

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/centgrtlakes_loop.php

The Casselman Grantsville MD

I've had better poached eggs.- way too far on the hard boiled end of the spectrum..home made rye toast was excellent except it was cold ...not gonna earn a good review .... tea was good tho and generous with milk for it ....toast slathered with some butter substitute that makes it wet and was barely toasted and served cold.
Room was clean and simple - easy controls for hot and cold but not all that good value.
Wifi works well. Too expensive over all tho.
Buffet last night was tasty but lots of canned veggies etc. Likely won't get a very positive review.

They messed up the reservation which was not a big deal but request for a free breakfast as compensation was ignored - because of the reservation screw up did not go through Expedia so now have to chase my points.....

4 out of 10

seems my AirnBnB looks very promising by comparison :D

Last edited:
weather okay so far. mix of sun and cloud..mellow not paying attention washed out the front tire on a bit of fine gravel ....corrected okay but woke me up. :roll eyes:

lovely winding roads and one spectacular view ( very steep too....dropped down two gears going up )

doing this tomorrow http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/438/Ohio/Ohio-Route-26.html weather permitting

( thanks Kiley )

AirBnB is ideal location for solo rider. Kitschy but nice

Last edited:
What a nice surprise - rain gone - sunny with some clouds and warm

Black as sin to the south but wind is blowing that way.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/438/Ohio/Ohio-Route-26.html

a very nice day :D

Wish 555 was all this smooth

IMG_0076--555-1-0.jpg

26 was decent ....was off my feed and day was hot and muggy. 555 was much fun mixed with some gotchas and a few rough parts.

Last edited:
Left at 8 am central time ....back before 4 pm Toronto time. Bike motored along nicely at 70-75 mph. Got wet on and off. Horrid thruway food....glad I has one chocolate bar left and my own water bottle.
Got the hands sorted but seat still needs some thought. New slightly wider, slightly taller windscreen was the treat.

Hey Doc - interested in a review of the CBF ownership thus far. I was sooooo close to pulling the trigger on one a couple months back but yet another VFR fell in my lap (again!).

Back
Top Bottom