Importing used vehicle into Canada - RIV vehicle inspection form | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importing used vehicle into Canada - RIV vehicle inspection form

sunny_pines

Hi,

Has anyone had any issues with Canadian Tire failing the vehicle inspection due to aftermarket exhaust? One of the points to check was that the exhaust has somewhere written that it meets EPA regulation of 80dB(A). My exhaust is quiet but doesn't have anything stating on it that it meets those regulations.

Hi,

Has anyone had any issues with Canadian Tire failing the vehicle inspection due to aftermarket exhaust? One of the points to check was that the exhaust has somewhere written that it meets EPA regulation of 80dB(A). My exhaust is quiet but doesn't have anything stating on it that it meets those regulations.

No personal experience but odds are that the exhaust actually says "For off-road use only" stamped somewhere on it. That should fail the inspection.

worst case, you borrow a stock exhaust and tape it on.

Is there not the RIV inspection and the safety inspection? Canadian Tire does the RIV to ensure the bike complies to Canadian standards but brake and tire wear etc is covered by the safety.

CTC only looked at the SN and confirmed that headlight came on the the ignition and I was good to go. A different shop did the safety.

Since modified bikes can't be imported, theoretically a bike with a rusted out original muffler could be OK for the RIV but not the road. One with a new perfectly good aftermarket muffler could be safetied but not for use in Canada.

I must have polished that part of my exhaust very well with steel wool....on a grinder.... or something as it isn't there. My exhaust came with the bike though and I do like it shiny.

Just updating for future reference. The Canadian Tire that did the inspection did not care one bit about the exhaust being aftermarket. Hassle free import process.

From personal experience I can tell you that some shops are better than others.
When I bought my BMW bike used, they would not certify it at a BMW dealer without about $1500 worth of work being done on it.
I took it to my local Can. Tire. The tires weren't bald, the muffler worked, the light came on with the ignition, the engine started and the brakes worked.
In and out in 10 minutes.

From personal experience I can tell you that some shops are better than others.
When I bought my BMW bike used, they would not certify it at a BMW dealer without about $1500 worth of work being done on it.
I took it to my local Can. Tire. The tires weren't bald, the muffler worked, the light came on with the ignition, the engine started and the brakes worked.
In and out in 10 minutes.

I'm not talking about a safety certificate, but RIV inspection for imported vehicles. Only Canadian Tire is authorized to do them, and thankfully they are not too picky.

Back
Top Bottom