Heated Vest conversion to battery? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heated Vest conversion to battery?

I have a New Age heated vest that runs off the motorcycle battery. Is it possible to convert/adapt the plug to run off a rechargeable battery for mobility when not on the motorcycle? This is what the plug end looks like on the vest. TIA for your suggestions. :)

4(1).jpg

This is a pretty nifty solution, a flexible battery pack that you can slip into the back protector pocket of your riding jacket:

gerbing12_v_flex_pack_battery_detail.jpg

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbing-12v-flexpack-battery

The Gerbings gear takes a coax plug, and what you have shown above is an SAE plug, so you'll need a coax to SAE adapter like this one:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-coax-male-to-sae-cable

Riding with a large lithium polymer array on your person might be risky. A crash might damage the battery pack, short circuit and cause it to spontaneously combust. This happens with radio controlled airplane crashes, and the results are spectacular. I would not take this risk. The crash might be the least of your problems.

"A crash might damage the battery pack, short circuit and cause it to spontaneously combust."

Highly unlikely. The individual cells are wrapped in an abrasion-resistant Kevlar layer.

Last edited:
Talk to Jimmy from Velocity...he's got nice gear that's dedicated battery powered. May end up cheaper and easier than doing a conversion of your existing hard wired package.

For gloves you can get heated battery powered glove liners from Glovii for about $100.

"A crash might damage the battery pack, short circuit and cause it to spontaneously combust."

Highly unlikely. The individual cells are wrapped in an abrasion-resistant Kevlar layer.

Bending and breaking is what I'd worry about more than abrasion. The new polymer batteries are somewhat bendy though but I'd really not have a metal fire go off on my person. I've worked in labs for 20 years and had my fair share of fires...metal fires are the worst. I'm sure these are fine but I don't know if I'd like a big bank of them on my back.

Back
Top Bottom