Fabric Guard 303 for waterproofing bike gear | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fabric Guard 303 for waterproofing bike gear

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
An one here use it to improve water resistance for bike gear?

I just washed my Motoport Kevlar mesh suit and the label says to treat the jacket and pants with this stuff.

I've used Nik Wax before and it's ok to help temporarily repel water also makes my gloves feel really slippery, which sometimes isn't the best thing for gripping the levers. Wondering if the Fabric Guard 303 will do the same thing.
http://www.costco.ca/303®-Outdoor-Fabric-Guard-2-pack-.product.100179876.html

Use it on areas that are not friction points? Like inside of knees and thighs to seat. Everywhere else shouldn't matter if it's slippery.

I was thinking of trying this on the 511 tac pants to improve the watershedding as the

Scotchgard™ Durable Water Repellent

Restorative Water Repellent.tif
Restores water repellency
Can be used on all synthetic outerwear and apparel, including GORE-TEX® and softshells
Superior level of durable water protection
Maintains fabric breathability
Water-based formula
Odorless when dry
Dryer activated technology for long lasting protection

http://www.scotchgard.com/wps/porta...Repellent?N=4340+3294466436+3294529207&rt=rud

Geez - $42 for a bottle on Amazon.ca $13 on Amazon.com.

Last edited:
I was thinking of trying this on the 511 tac pants to improve the watershedding as the

http://www.scotchgard.com/wps/porta...Repellent?N=4340+3294466436+3294529207&rt=rud

Geez - $42 for a bottle on Amazon.ca $13 on Amazon.com.

This is common for stuff that is actually coming from the US but they list it on Amazon.ca. A coworker just ordered some power cables for specific equipment we use at work because he needed longer ones. $13 each on Amazon.com. After all fees and shipping (to Canada) and whatnot they were $54 CDN each.

I have used 303's Aerospace Protectant (same company slightly different product) for years on convertible tops. I found it to be an excellent UV protector, seems to renew the look of the top (less frayed/faded), and is a half decent waterproofer. However, if you're ultimately looking for maximum waterproofing, there are better products out there. ScotchGuard, and other silicon based water protectants, often marketed towards waterproofing/protectant boots/shoes, or tents/camping equipment do a much better job of making the material waterproof or at the very least extremely hydrophobic.

I now spray down every new pair of shoes, hikers, winter boots, riding boots, etc. I have also treated my jacket with it. What a difference it made. It made my "mesh" jacket, almost goretex like in water repellency. I prefer to not treat my gloves with it as it does tend to make things slightly slippery. I don't have a proper pair of waterproof riding pants yet, but I would treat those with the same stuff as well. May decide to not treat the butt and inside thigh/knee area due to slipperiness.

The important factor here is the material that the shell is made of.
There are any number of fabrics that are used to contain the Kevlar.
There should be a label that tells you which fabric this specific manufacturer uses to make the gear.
Ensure the waterproofing substance lists the fabric before applying.

Back
Top Bottom