Longest production unchanged motorcycle? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Longest production unchanged motorcycle?

inreb

Site Supporter
And honorable mentions. Yamaha TW200 first produced in 1987 still going strongish. Is that a good thing?

Royal Enfield Bullet?

Too lazy to do any math this morning though.

KLR650 used to hold the title I think if you mean swappable parts. I favour long product runs.

I do mean swappable parts. That's what makes it really interesting and pragmatic. Some bikes, BMW airheads, Sportsters, RE Bullets etc. appear the same to the untrained eye but no.

Possibly the "Ural", by way of Germany, Russia, China, Russia (again). Late '30's to present, while it doesn't look it, there have been minor updates along the way.

All Harley Davidson, the technology remains unchanged since inception

the concours had a pretty long run as well. Early/mid 80's - 2006? not immensly long, but for almost no changes from early 90.s to the end is pretty significant. also, EX500 had a similar life span.

This engine has been produced since the 70's I believe.
Still is.

honda-50-07.jpg

89-2000. 2001-2012 for the naked model (in 2001 they put a bigger tank, redesigned the seat and switched all models to the better carbs) 04-13 for the faired model.

the concours had a pretty long run as well. Early/mid 80's - 2006? not immensly long, but for almost no changes from early 90.s to the end is pretty significant. also, EX500 had a similar life span.

gen2 ex500 was 94-09 (gen 1 late 80s-93)

The klr650 had a few minor changes over the years that would make all parts not be interchangable, 96-07. Otherwise 87-07 being the first major overhaul.

Long production runs are great. Means lots of spare parts if you break something.

Suzuki Savage has it beat - it has had virtually no changes, the GS500 has had some modest improvements over time

Suzuki Savage has it beat - it has had virtually no changes, the GS500 has had some modest improvements over time

Close to perfection, the Savage. Shoulda made a trilogy, a la Honda CB500, adventurer, sport tourer, cafe racer, standard, scrambler what else does anybody need? Should produce them for 100yrs. or until the tooling wears out.

All Harley Davidson, the technology remains unchanged since inception

Harleys certainly look the same, but then so did the VW bug during the 50s and 60s.
While the design and look of the bug looked the same every year, there were constant updates and modifications.
I remember the shock some owners had with a new bug that had a fuel gague and no reserve gas tank.

And honorable mentions. Yamaha TW200 first produced in 1987 still going strongish. Is that a good thing?
I've been rather interested in one of those but I'm told they're not highway capable at all.

I'm actually kinda shocked the TW200 is still in production... I would've sworn it was discontinued 5-6 years ago

Back
Top Bottom