Plugging tires - opinion - Vstrom 650 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Plugging tires - opinion - Vstrom 650

This is a kiss hole to plug ...in the right position and small...StopnGo sort of did it....string I'm pretty sure will work fine.
Now if I could get some time free to enjoy this lovely two weeks of sun.

Follow up..

We tried the mushroom plug and it did not work.

We switched to a single string plug and it mostly worked but lost pressure slowly. ( I suggest using the mushroom plug first may have been the issues )

We ended up putting two strings in side by side and that worked - no pressure loss at all.

Was a low mileage P3 and the leak dead centre. Part of it was an experiment to learn how to do it and what works.
Will update over the next while.

Book marked.

In over 350,000 km of riding on my first two V-Stroms I have repaired about 6 punctures. I have done one on a fellow rider's large Sport Touring bike, and had a tech at work put a plug in the rear tire of my Porsche Boxster way back when. In all cases the repairs were done with strings. In a couple of cases the tires were almost new and ran their normal life with no problems, on my Boxster it went at least 25,000 km (probably more) with no issues.

Done properly the strings work well.. I carry a little compressor, the two tools and some of the strings under my seat.

..Tom

Just don't use crap plugs. Buy ones from a decent supplier or beg, borrow, steal a few from a legit tire guy.

Nother follow up...bike sat for a month and took it out today and no pressure loss....quite pleased with the result - we know what to do in the future ....or on the road.

That's the second flat for me in the last 6 years but the first one was my own damn fault for not changing out the Burgman tire when I knew it was on its way out.

Saved just about $300 ( tire and mounting ) and oddly in the process ended up with a complete set of lightly used P3s for cheap.
I think I have enough tires for the Strom now for 3 years or more.

What are you guys on Vstroms using for a TPMS -- as I am fairly certain this was not an OEM option.

I bought the Garmin Zumo 590LM kit with two tire pressure caps. Works pretty well.

I carry strings and a small compressor on the road, never had to use it. For a leak discovered while at home I pulled the rear wheel and had a patch plug put in by Rosey Toes. $20 and a good repair that will never leak.
images

What are you guys on Vstroms using for a TPMS -- as I am fairly certain this was not an OEM option.

My wife got me a Garmin Sumo 590 in the begginning of October of the 2015. Shortly after that I added the TPMS Sensors. Works brilliantly!

..Tom

Back
Top Bottom