Parking overnight in Toronto? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parking overnight in Toronto?

Martin404

After reading through this board I've determined that if I take my bike to Toronto it will be stolen the moment I'm off it and blink.

Is motorcycle theft really that bad? I ask because I wanted to take my bike into the city to visit some friends, possibly over night. If they live downtown-ish, where is the best place to park? It seems like even if I found a garage, it's still vulnerable.

What do you non-Toronto residents do for overnight stays? Take the car?

When I had my 650R I left it in a GreenP lot over night with the keys in it more than once. I also parked it on the street for an entire weekend, no problems.

Another time left it parked on the street for about 2 months, a month of which I wasn't even in the country.

My current bike is parked outdoors in my driveway all year.

No problems. But I don't ride a supersport.

Checking the parking restrictions for the street. Got a ticket once when I parked too late.
Oh yeah, I forgot THAT problem. I did get parking tickets for that one weekend. Also, just because there's only one on your bike doesn't mean more won't show up in the mail so don't just pay the first one right away.

Some streets in and around the downtown core require overnight parking permits, even for motorcycles. I believe it is currently a $30 ticket.
You can buy a temporary one online on the City of Toronto website.
You should ask the people you are visiting if theirs is a permit street.
I see the same motorcyles parked on the street where I live on the edge of downtown. They are parked there all day from Monday to Friday indicating to me there wouldn't appear to be a theft problem.

Thanks for the info! And since my bike is nothing special (09 FZ6R... I mean, I think it's pretty but I suppose everyone thinks their child is special) I'm probably over reacting to the theft threat. Who's going to bother with a 4 grand bike when there are so many nicer targets, right?

Last edited:
Make sure you have full coverage then leave keys in it...lol If it is still there in the morning then you know you can drop the theft coverage and save money..lol tongue firmly in cheek, yes your over considering the whole thing. Go visit and enjoy, ride home in the morning.

Thanks for the info! And since my bike is nothing special (09 FZ6R... I mean, I think it's pretty but I suppose everything thinks their child is special) I'm probably over reacting to the theft threat. Who's going to bother with a 4 grand bike when there are so many nicer targets, right?

Who's going to bother with a 4 grand bike when there are so many nicer targets, right?

Don't think logically on this one....any idiot walking down the street can knock it over, damage it, or hit it with their car with inattentiveness or what not. Just be prepared for something to happen.

As for parking overnight, yes you can definitely get dinged. I've seen bikes in my area (South Etobicoke) get ticketed overnight on regular street parking. Not often, but they go through a blitz once in a while.

You might also think about a cover for your bike, or at least a tarp. What they cannot easily identify they might move on to something else.

Put a cover on it and park it on their lawn if you can. Don't forget a flattened beer can under the side stand.

Put a cover on it and park it on their lawn if you can. Don't forget a flattened beer can under the side stand.

It's illegal to park on a lawn in Toronto the good. What neighbourhood of TO do your friends live in and do they have secure parking? If a bike friend was visiting I would re-arrange the garage so they could park inside. They may not have that option.

Toronto isn't all that bad but we do have morons that don't respect the property of others. One member had is ignition mangled by some low life that tried to to start it with a screwdriver.

Parking overnight in Toronto is fine. Vast majority of the theft is done in underground garages of condo towers. Thieves scope up your work and vacation patterns (especially that people gladly share where they are and for how long on social media) and boom your bike is gone.
Leaving it on the street where everybody can see it is generally safer. Potential thief doesn't know who's watching.

Personally I don't ride in Toronto any more though. Bloody mess. No pleasure. Take a GO train.

On-street parking of more than 3 hrs is illegal all over Toronto. You might be able to get an on-street parking permit, but here in Scarborough and East York they don't even have that. Ticketing for on-street parking is only enforced by complaint. Parking on the boulevard, between the sidewalk and the street, is also technically illegal, but also only enforced by complaint. If you are visiting, I think boulevard parking and then on-street parking would be safer than underground condo parking. Your neighbours will keep an eye out for you.

Yes, it is technically illegal to park on the grass, but I've not seen anyone ticketed for this. I have no issues with a bike parking on grass.

On-street parking of more than 3 hrs is illegal all over Toronto. You might be able to get an on-street parking permit, but here in Scarborough and East York they don't even have that. Ticketing for on-street parking is only enforced by complaint. Parking on the boulevard, between the sidewalk and the street, is also technically illegal, but also only enforced by complaint. If you are visiting, I think boulevard parking and then on-street parking would be safer than underground condo parking. Your neighbours will keep an eye out for you.

Yes, it is technically illegal to park on the grass, but I've not seen anyone ticketed for this. I have no issues with a bike parking on grass.
The 3 tickets I got were for parking on a boulevard.

Three hour parkng is only enforced if there is a complaint.
Boulevard parking does not require a complaint as it is the property of the City.

Back
Top Bottom