Shoei RF-1200 SUN protection? (vs the GT-Air) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shoei RF-1200 SUN protection? (vs the GT-Air)

UltrA_09

Site Supporter
It's time for me to buy a new helmet, and after a lot of back and forth between the Shoei RF-1200 and the Shoei GT-Air, I've finally made my decision and plan on going with the RF-1200 simply due a better fit on my head.

The only issue I have now is dealing with the sun! The BIGGEST selling point for the GT-Air was the built-in Sun Visor (and really was the only reason I was even considering it over the RF-1200), but now that I've decided on the RF1200, I wanted to ask whether there have been any new ways/products to dealing with the sun?
like a new shield/pin lock that gets darker when the sun hits it? or something like that...

Just tired of carrying 2 shields with me (light and dark), or sunglasses.

I just recently purchased the RF 1200 and had the same question. I was informed they now make a transition shield for this model. But it's really expensive. If I recall correctly it was priced over $250. They do have regular tinted shields with various colours and level of tint for around 75-100$ I believe.

Just saw the transition shield on sale at CanadasMotorcyle for $208....

Last edited:
For my RF-1100, I just got the dark smoke, and if it is a bright day, I also throw on sunglasses as well. Works pretty well, except for when the sun is setting and is at the horizon...nothing helps with that. lol

Cool, thanks!

You like it Alex? The reviews I've read online seem to be hit or miss (complaints about it not getting dark enough and may not be long-lasting), though I think it's still worth a try.

Another idea just crossed my mind - What about using a dark pin-lock lens wherever I go (which I need for about 80% of my riding), then when it gets dark I can simply remove the dark lens pinlock, fit it inside my jacket, and keep the clear shield (non-pinlocked)?

That would allow me to avoid carrying an extra clear shield wherever I go, and still be able to get a clear shield during the night. the only inconvenience would be carrying the dark lens while riding. hmmm

Cool, thanks!

You like it Alex? The reviews I've read online seem to be hit or miss (complaints about it not getting dark enough and may not be long-lasting), though I think it's still worth a try.

Another idea just crossed my mind - What about using a dark pin-lock lens wherever I go (which I need for about 80% of my riding), then when it gets dark I can simply remove the dark lens pinlock, fit it inside my jacket, and keep the clear shield (non-pinlocked)?

That would allow me to avoid carrying an extra clear shield wherever I go, and still be able to get a clear shield during the night. the only inconvenience would be carrying the dark lens while riding. hmmm

I don't see how that is a huge difference from carrying another visor...plus isn't a pinlock insert really supposed to be a 1-time installation thing? I thought it had to have a 100% seal to work (and constantly removing it would damage that over time)?

Personally I don't mind carrying a second shield...my tailbag lives on my bike 99.9% of the time, and it easily fits in there with the few other things I carry (eg. water bottle, phone, extra layer, etc)

I don't see how that is a huge difference from carrying another visor...plus isn't a pinlock insert really supposed to be a 1-time installation thing? I thought it had to have a 100% seal to work (and constantly removing it would damage that over time)?

Personally I don't mind carrying a second shield...my tailbag lives on my bike 99.9% of the time, and it easily fits in there with the few other things I carry (eg. water bottle, phone, extra layer, etc)

The seal is silicon I believe. Can be removed and is useful for cleaning it. There is another version that glues in, and gives a better anti-fog, but is pretty much what you said, a 1 time install.
The pinlock lens is also more pliable and not nearly as 'tough' as the actual shield.
http://www.pinlock.nl/motor/instructions-100-max-vision/

It gets dark enough for me. I come from a very dark mirror finish Icon shield and I prefer the Shoei. I did not have it for long enough to judge durability. I did put the pinlock insert on it so that cuts the light a bit as well.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

I picked up a roll of windshield tint plastic? At Canadian Tire.

I just cut a strip off for the visor, and discard it when it gets too messed up.

For $200 i'll just swap shields. But then again I don't really ride at night, i'm a reverse vampire.

Last edited:
Got the transitions shield at under 200 bucks and its some of the best money spent.

I will second the transitions if you are regularly commuting...leaving in the dark and returning in the light. I'm not familiar with the Shoei version but I have the Bell transitions visor and it is beautiful not having to swap shields or carry a spare. They are pricey but are worth it IMO.

Sunglasses under your helmet works well. A strip of tape across the top of the visor (just tilt your head down a bit when in the sun). Or get a different model with a separate flip down sunvisor like the Scorpion EXO1000 had.

Bell makes one also, my buddy bought one down at STG.. expensive, but cool.

I've had the Bell transitions now for 5 yrs. Best price, worth the $

Back
Top Bottom