Just something for learning on | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just something for learning on

"but in the meantime i`d like to hone my skills"
Two books I read and keep going back to are Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code and Total Control by Lee Parks. Nothing wrong with just riding around but I would work on something specific each time you go out for a ride. ie. listening to your engine and figuring what gear your at, emergency braking, etc. There is lots of good stuff in those two books. Just gotta let in all sink in your head and put it to practice. There is a video of Twist of Wrist on youtube. Both books should be available at a your library also. later

I liked Proficient Motorcycling more. Twist II was better than Twist I, I thought.

Humber had 250 Viragos ten years ago, some modified for larger students.

I'm 200Lbs and 5'11, riding a 87 CBX250. Fantastic fun in town and secondary highways, will run and hold 110 KPH easily, will push to 140 (full tuck, loooong run, low headwinds). It weighs 271 pounds wet. It's not a great choice for a 400 series highway as it gets pushed around by the wind easily. I refuse to ride it on a 400 series highway unless it's an absolute windless day.

$28 per month for insurance with fire / theft.

The scooter analogy for the 125 is right on the money.

I'd suggest a CRF250L, XT250 or KLX250 as an alternate. They are easier to ride than a sport 250/300 (shorter wheel base), the riding position is more upright and comfortable. Insurance may be less as well.

At your build, id start with a 250.

Because its not only the top speed that might be the issue but the ease of overtaking.

Say you're on a country road listed 80kph and you want to overtake this farm truck going 60... you want to be able to do it safe and fast...and usually, even if you've got a straight line with a perfect view ahead, you still want to overtake faster rather than slower.

That's where i find that sometimes my cb500x is lacking on the highway... it can pass decently but sometimes not as fast as id like it to, therefore affecting my assertiveness in certain movements.

Anyhow.
TL;DR 125 will carry you but will be a pain to use to pass anything with your current build.

This...Sums up pretty much everything I needed to know. Thank you Very much! I think I will Take this advice when selecting the bike! Appreciate that!

Insurance premiums will be significant regardless of engine size you choose. Ask your insurance rep before you buy your bike. in my area anything 500cc or lower is about the same price, excluding super sports. This means that a 50cc moped is approximately the same yearly premium as a 500cc motorcycle.

Recommendations for a new rider include: <50hp, <500lb, <500ccs. For your weight and height I'd recommend a bigger bike than a 125. Get a 250 or a 500. They are not much heavier, the insurance premium will be not much more, and they will carry you around in more comfort. If and when you are ready for the highway, the slightly larger bike will be there for you. Buy used and slightly older so you can drop comprehensive, theft, making your premium lower. A 500cc bike might actually cost less than a newer 300, so be open minded and shop around.

OP you don't say how old you are, and this greatly affects your insurance premium. If you are an old 50yo geezer a 500cc cruiser may cost $400/yr, or less. If you are 21yo expect to pay $3,000/yr or more. Your insurance premium can by far exceed the purchase price for your bike.

Haha I assure you I am No geezer. Sorry that is important info, I`m 28 years old at this time.

"but in the meantime i`d like to hone my skills"
Two books I read and keep going back to are Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code and Total Control by Lee Parks. Nothing wrong with just riding around but I would work on something specific each time you go out for a ride. ie. listening to your engine and figuring what gear your at, emergency braking, etc. There is lots of good stuff in those two books. Just gotta let in all sink in your head and put it to practice. There is a video of Twist of Wrist on youtube. Both books should be available at a your library also. later

Twist of the wrist!!!!! I Think I`ve watched the youtube video around 3 times now hahaa! I agree with this! Thank you!

Thank you everyone for the reccomendations and posts. I think I`ll be going for a 250 for now and take the Course at either RTI or Durham early next spring. For now...Zipping around on the dirtbike will have to do!

I thought they were 125s?
Also, when I was there 6ish years ago they were something else. Do not remember what though. 250 viragos, maybe?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Your right x 2, to be fair all you see on the bikes is CBR (125 in small grey writing) and then a red R.
Always had to get that orange repsol because we all know the stickers blessed you with the skill of a moto gp racer.

Kinda regret taking the course, now I won't shut up about wanting a bike. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom