Just something for learning on | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just something for learning on

Enjoi

Hey folks,

Been lurking on and off here and thinking I am getting closer to a purchase. Im thinking of getting one of these CBR 125R for City Riding Exclusively. I Live in Pickering and work in Uxbridge and wont be taking the 401 at all if anything. I weigh about 230 Pounds and stand about 5 foot 11. Would a 125 be a decent bike for me? I get some folks around me saying its not enough power, but I just want to learn really. I will be taking my M1 Exit and doing the training but in the meantime i`d like to hone my skills.

I searched the forums and most of the stuff I read is pretty positive. Anyways, Any feedback is welcome on what you folks can advise me with.

Thank you.

Great bike to learn on, if it's exclusively for city riding, you're fine. If you're taking highway, it'll be a bit of a struggle as a person weighing ~145lbs can maintain 120km/h on a flat road while going as low as 100km/h on an uphill at full throttle (sitting up - not tucking).

That being said, you can't take the highway yet anyway with an M1, but you'd likely consider a bike a bit bigger to keep up with traffic once you're able to - I'd recommend looking into at least 250s.

Thanks for the Responses guys! I definately wont be using any highway as A)I dont feel confident enough yet and B)My M1 does not allow it. There are not many hills on the way to work its basically a straight run with a twist and turn and there. I think once I get a good feel for riding I`ll definately be upgrading to a 300 or 500.

Thanks for the Responses guys! I definately wont be using any highway as A)I dont feel confident enough yet and B)My M1 does not allow it. There are not many hills on the way to work its basically a straight run with a twist and turn and there. I think once I get a good feel for riding I`ll definately be upgrading to a 300 or 500.

just my opinion, if you are OK with a 125 but plan on upgrading to a 250/300 shortly after, just go for the 250/300 straight out of the gates. they are still forgiving but will get you ready for the highway (not that the 125 cant do it, it just cant do it COMFORTABLY, with power to spare when needed as many have said in this thread and in coutless others). same case could be made for the 500, yes its forgiving but bigger is bigger at the end of the day. all great bikes, just stay within your limits (not choosing to ride highway til your ready is a good start).

You can ride a big bike slow, just be disciplined with the throttle.

I'd say at 230 and almost 6 foot even the 300 may be on the small side (knees hitting handlebars etc).

I'm 5'2 and learned to ride on a FZ750 back in my teens. It was big and heavy, but a little bit of (self) control went a long way.

At your build, id start with a 250.

Because its not only the top speed that might be the issue but the ease of overtaking.

Say you're on a country road listed 80kph and you want to overtake this farm truck going 60... you want to be able to do it safe and fast...and usually, even if you've got a straight line with a perfect view ahead, you still want to overtake faster rather than slower.

That's where i find that sometimes my cb500x is lacking on the highway... it can pass decently but sometimes not as fast as id like it to, therefore affecting my assertiveness in certain movements.

Anyhow.
TL;DR 125 will carry you but will be a pain to use to pass anything with your current build.

At your build, id start with a 250.

Because its not only the top speed that might be the issue but the ease of overtaking.

Say you're on a country road listed 80kph and you want to overtake this farm truck going 60... you want to be able to do it safe and fast...and usually, even if you've got a straight line with a perfect view ahead, you still want to overtake faster rather than slower.

That's where i find that sometimes my cb500x is lacking on the highway... it can pass decently but sometimes not as fast as id like it to, therefore affecting my assertiveness in certain movements.

Anyhow.
TL;DR 125 will carry you but will be a pain to use to pass anything with your current build.

Agreed, IMO a 125cc is not going to be enough even for moderate city riding with your weight and build. I would look towards at least a 250cc up to 500cc. It's not about going fast, it's about doing what you need to do, when you need to do it.

Go sit on it. The thing I don't like about it is the clipons. Lots of small bikes will turn easier at low speed.

If you take the time to learn to ride a small bike, it will be fine; most people are too impatient, and don't.

I complained about my 250 cruiser years ago.

After my buddy who'd been riding for decades took it for a spin, I shut right up.

I have a 2008 suzuki gs 500 for sale. Great starter bike. It comes with upgraded suspension and lots of new stuff. Pm if interested $3500 turn key.....

A 125 is fine for city riding. Think of it as a motorcycle-shaped scooter. Most scooters are quite a bit slower than a CBR125.

I'm 5'11" 225lbs and I went on a 4-hour ride on a CBR125 a couple months ago, including a 30-minute stretch on the highway. The highway part was painful, otherwise it was fine.

You will look comically oversized for the bike, but it's a fine machine to learn on.

Insurance rates and your budget will most likely drive your decision... I'll second the used GS500 recommendation above, but insurance cost may lead you to a 250 or 300. For your size and weight I'd not recommend the CB125.

Insurance premiums will be significant regardless of engine size you choose. Ask your insurance rep before you buy your bike. in my area anything 500cc or lower is about the same price, excluding super sports. This means that a 50cc moped is approximately the same yearly premium as a 500cc motorcycle.

Recommendations for a new rider include: <50hp, <500lb, <500ccs. For your weight and height I'd recommend a bigger bike than a 125. Get a 250 or a 500. They are not much heavier, the insurance premium will be not much more, and they will carry you around in more comfort. If and when you are ready for the highway, the slightly larger bike will be there for you. Buy used and slightly older so you can drop comprehensive, theft, making your premium lower. A 500cc bike might actually cost less than a newer 300, so be open minded and shop around.

OP you don't say how old you are, and this greatly affects your insurance premium. If you are an old 50yo geezer a 500cc cruiser may cost $400/yr, or less. If you are 21yo expect to pay $3,000/yr or more. Your insurance premium can by far exceed the purchase price for your bike.

"but in the meantime i`d like to hone my skills"
Two books I read and keep going back to are Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code and Total Control by Lee Parks. Nothing wrong with just riding around but I would work on something specific each time you go out for a ride. ie. listening to your engine and figuring what gear your at, emergency braking, etc. There is lots of good stuff in those two books. Just gotta let in all sink in your head and put it to practice. There is a video of Twist of Wrist on youtube. Both books should be available at a your library also. later

I would take the motorcycle training course before deciding on a bike style. I took RTI and rode all the different types, including a cbr125 for my full second day. I already had a bike, luckily it was one I was comfy on. A friend took the same course and regretted buying a 250 cruiser before the course once he rode a standard at the course.

As for size, if you go 125 just be prepared for the idea that you'll probably want something bigger after a year or two. Would be great for learning on though that's for sure.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I would take the motorcycle training course before deciding on a bike style. I took RTI and rode all the different types, including a cbr125 for my full second day. I already had a bike, luckily it was one I was comfy on. A friend took the same course and regretted buying a 250 cruiser before the course once he rode a standard at the course.

Will pop in to say to make sure you check that the course does offer different bikes, places like Humber only offer one type of bike (250 CBR) and that it's worth it for the insurance savings alone.

Will pop in to say to make sure you check that the course does offer different bikes, places like Humber only offer one type of bike (250 CBR) and that it's worth it for the insurance savings alone.
I thought they were 125s?
Also, when I was there 6ish years ago they were something else. Do not remember what though. 250 viragos, maybe?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom