Beartooth and Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. Wyoming Pix | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beartooth and Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. Wyoming Pix

BeastieGirl

Just a few of my favourite shots from my trip - I really enjoyed the CJSB more than the Beartooth - the shot of the winding road is from there

Last edited:
Very nice!
How do you like your new bike for the longer trips now that you are a bit more used to it?

Well my trip totaled a little over 10,000 kms, so that was a pretty good indication. My only remaining concern is with the camping set up. Initially I was tent camping while in SD during Bike Week, but by the time I had all my camping gear loaded up, I was basically pushed so far forward I was riding on my tank :) I ended up giving my pup tent and camp chair to a neighbour at one of the KOA's where I was staying and switched my reservations to either camping cabins or motels for the balance of the trip.

The western States have higher speed limits on the interstates - so a lot of the time I was going 75 - 85 mph and it wasn't an issue, but I do still notice the lack of power compared to the FZ1 - passing has to be done a lot more cautiously, because I don't have the launch factor to get me out of trouble in a tight situation. I've just gotten used to the higher revs while highway riding - at 80 mph I'm revving around 8,000 and I don't redline until 12,000 - so really there is still more high end power than I will ever use.

But the fun factor of this bike more than makes up for the occasional bout of power envy. Physically the FZ6R is just a better fit for me than the FZ1. The combination of a smaller, lighter bike and the fact that I didn't have to have the FZ6R lowered made a huge difference in mountain riding and canyon carving. Even downhill switchbacks feel just so smooth and relaxed on this bike, now that I've learned to lighten up on the grips - no need to power this bike into corner. So I'm happy overall.

Still I miss the FZ1 - I think riders who tour get a little more attached to their bikes. They aren't just toys. There had been a few occasions on the FZ1 - like get caught in sleet on a mountain pass or finding the next 2 miles of hairpins are on gravel - when I prayed to that bike to just safely get me through this and it always came through.

just read about this road in an old edition of motorcycle mojo. It's on the future touring list.

Both roads have been on my list for the last 5 years. Maybe next year.

Colorado & Wyoming are truly wonders. A naturalist heaven

Colorado & Wyoming are truly wonders. A naturalist heaven

Yep - then throw in Arizona, Utah and New Mexico and you can ride forever out there - I did link more pictures than are showing here - one day I will get this right.

Back
Top Bottom