no idea what's going on with my bike... PLEASE HELP!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

no idea what's going on with my bike... PLEASE HELP!!

cuteblackfox

Ok so here's the issue with my 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250. I'll be riding my bike and everything seems ok ... But then when I come to a stop, my bike shuts off and I have to start it back up. It's like when I come to a stop I hear it shutting down. Then stops and my lights come on. Then I have to start it back up.

does anyone know what the issue is?
has this happened to anyone?

this doesn't happen at EVERY single stop I make BUT when it does happen it's very annoying. Happened like 5 times while on an hour ride :(

Have you checked the battery cables to see if they are clean and tight, making good contact? Defective main fuse? Blade type fuses may visually appear intact but can often have failed electrically.

Pull in the clutch...you are stalling it!

Kidding ;)

2008 - Maybe battery not getting charged up while riding or a weak battery...does it crank ok to start back up?

Last edited:
Random ideas: Bad gas? Low idle speed? '08 has carbs? If so, sbould be an idle speed adjustment screw. Another idea - as noted above, maybe needs clutch/cable adjustment so it releases properly?

Battery cables are in tight

NO idea what Defective main fuse and Blade type fuses are :(

Have you checked the battery cables to see if they are clean and tight, making good contact? Defective main fuse? Blade type fuses may visually appear intact but can often have failed electrically.

I just called a mechanic and he said it could be BAD gas ...

wow didn't even knew there was such a thing. Thought all gas was good, heard that all gas stations get their gas from 4 major gas companies. This is craziness.

soooo I'm suppose to put in Shell 91. That should help.

the bad gas has water or alot of ethanol, or something like that.

Random ideas: Bad gas? Low idle speed? '08 has carbs? If so, sbould be an idle speed adjustment screw. Another idea - as noted above, maybe needs clutch/cable adjustment so it releases properly?

THANKS ALOT for your help and advice. Greatly appreciated !!!

I want to ride as much as I can before snow gets here. I feel like I'm going to be miserable this winter :(

Those ninjas act up with temp and altitude fluctuations I've heard. Aperantly they are tuned super rich from factory and there is a carb needle mod to correct this issue.

Ya be careful with ethanol gas and carburetor ninja. Try shell 91 has no ethanol. I know my ninja was a lot happier with it. Also try adjusting that idle, it's on the left side of bike within arms reach while you're sitting on it. Little black knob. I remember adjusting all the time. Try cleaning your carbs as well and often.

Someone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't want to give bad advice, but I believe adding some fuel stabilizer and topping up the tank should get you through this.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I recommend cleaning your carbs by filling up with Shell 91 and some Wide Open Throttle. LoL. Where did you last fill gas? I've had a problem with a tank of gas from the PetroCan at Yonge/Steeles clogging my fuel filter on my truck with crap. I saw a news story about an independent gas station in Scarborough IIRC that was known for having water in the gas...

Someone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't want to give bad advice, but I believe adding some fuel stabilizer and topping up the tank should get you through this.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

You mean seafoam not stabilizer? When I had my ninja one in awhile I would run seafoam through it.
The problem is ethanol is hygroscopic. Once this happens etano+water+gasoline does not mix well with carburetors and small motors, it gums them up.

Last edited:
I'm putting my vote in for idle set too low. That kawi should be running around 1300 RPM at a stop.... Check and see what you are running at.

Check to make sure the idle is running consistent. If the idle is going all over the place, then you know where to look.

I go to Esso gas stations, petro here n there.

here I come Shell.

the Kawasaki ninja manual says I'm suppose to use regular gas BUT... Bc of the issue I'm having... Do I use SHELL 91 alllll the time now? Or just once or twice then only use regular from Shell gas stations... When I come across them.

This whole gas station thing is soooo messed up :(

I recommend cleaning your carbs by filling up with Shell 91 and some Wide Open Throttle. LoL. Where did you last fill gas? I've had a problem with a tank of gas from the PetroCan at Yonge/Steeles clogging my fuel filter on my truck with crap. I saw a news story about an independent gas station in Scarborough IIRC that was known for having water in the gas...

I go to Esso gas stations, petro here n there.

here I come Shell.

the Kawasaki ninja manual says I'm suppose to use regular gas BUT... Bc of the issue I'm having... Do I use SHELL 91 alllll the time now? Or just once or twice then only use regular from Shell gas stations... When I come across them.

This whole gas station thing is soooo messed up :(

Not to be an *** here, but 91 isn't going to magically clean your carbs. 91 is HIGHER octane and will not burn as efficiently.... because your bike is not designed to run on that octane gas. Higher octane gas is used when a vehicle runs higher compression / turbo etc to deter pre-detonation. With higher compression you can extract more power, but require higher octane to offset the chance of knocking / pre-detonation.

http://www.kbb.com/car-advice/articles/premium-gas-when-and-why/

Using 91 in your bike is literally throwing money down the drain.

It is messed up and you are fine with running 87. But I only used non etanol shell in that bike and it was much happier. It doesn't cost much more to fill up a ninja 250. But I think your problem is your idle adjustment. Or you are running the bike with the choke all the way on.
Does your bike ever take a long time to warm up and does it hesitate when you get on the throttle? If it does your carbs are dirty too.

Soooooo I was advised to use Shell 91...

and ur saying NOT to use it?

no one said its magic BUT I'll try it. Fill my tank with it and see.

Wont consider it a waste of $. Gotta try n see

Not to be an *** here, but 91 isn't going to magically clean your carbs. 91 is HIGHER octane and will not burn as efficiently.... because your bike is not designed to run on that octane gas. Higher octane gas is used when a vehicle runs higher compression / turbo etc to deter pre-detonation. With higher compression you can extract more power, but require higher octane to offset the chance of knocking / pre-detonation.

1) does your bike have a choke?

2) do you use the choke to start?

3) if your bike has a choke can you idle the bike without the choke on?

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

You are absolute right on this matter. However we are also talking about non ethanol gas and you can only find that at shell as a 91 octane and some select cdn tire and Costco locations. The problem is ethanol and carbs don't mix well. I understand the whole bike is not tuned for higher octane but it's also not tuned for max power that you can attain through etanol enriched gas. E10 e30 and e85 blends can make some great power in certain cars.....but only if you are tuned for it. As far as I know, the 2008 ninja isn't tuned to get max benefit out of ethanol enriched gas either.
No the OP doesn't have to use 91, 87 is fine.... but would be better served with no ethanol. Running out and filling up with shell 91 is not going to fix the issue currently. This is more for the long term. I believe it's an idle adjustment problem, or running the choke fully on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom