Anyone with a new RSV4 RR/RF and possibly Tuono 1100 (unknown) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone with a new RSV4 RR/RF and possibly Tuono 1100 (unknown)

Shaman

A TSB was released just last week for a factory mistake in the torque required for the rear wheel sprocket bolts. Check them and torque to 50nm as required. EDIT: 50nm is 37lb/ft or 443 inch/pounds.

I heard about the TSB this morning from the AF1 forum and had my mechanic check the bolts (as it was in for other work, splicing in the integrated signal light). All the bolts were loose, three of them would turn with fingers. Two of the bolts would not torque because the threads were eaten up by the sprocket and need to be replaced. The wheel is undamaged and thankfully so is the swingarm.

So if you have one of these bikes, don't delay. Make sure the sprocket bolts are torqued properly.

Last edited:
How's your chain?

Wheel, chain and sprocket seem unfazed.

How is that just a TSB and not a stop sale/recall?

Probably because only Shaman is lucky enough to have one. :)

or because the axle nut is still holding everything together, nice and safe......

or because the axle nut is still holding everything together, nice and safe......

If one of those nuts walks out and takes a big bite out of the swingarm, or worse, locks up the rear wheel... nothing safe about that.

It's unlikely to lock up because of the design but it's still not a good situation.

Incidentally this also was an issue with my BST wheels when I first got them. They issued a TSB saying not to use a particular type of nut/bolt combo and to torque to 35 pounds rather than the recommended 16. They use a virtually identical sprocket carrier to the one on the RSV4 Factory and Marchesini (to name a few). I lost a nut off my GSX-R on the Cherohala Skyway a few years ago due to this.

Last edited:
Also, doesn't everyone use blue threadlocker on rear sprocket bolts?

The more I think about it, this is a really really bad miss by them.

Can't really argue. Just fate that someone on their forums mentioned their bolts were loose this morning and AF1 gets the TSB. I wonder if the torque/power production of the outgoing bike wasn't sufficient to loosen the bolts but the new one will... hard to say exactly what went on here, the TSB is pretty vague, just says that they need to be retorqued to spec and checked every service interval.

Back from the gym. The pins looked like this:

fLz4mUJ.jpg

After looking at them carefully, it's pretty unlikely that the nuts can walk all the way off, as they are "nylock" type nuts and resist that. But the pins are shouldered unlike my BST pins, so they cannot go through the back of the wheel, and thus it is more possible that it could cause catastrophic failure or swingarm damage.

Anyway, I figure this is probably a miscommunication between their wheel manufacturer and the factory but it could also be a machine failing much like BMW's con-rod machine that caused many S1000RRs to be recalled. Not sure, will read the TSB at length when I get a chance just to get perspective. Either way, CHECK'EM IF YOU GOTT'EM as they say.

Back
Top Bottom