How TPP will affect us | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How TPP will affect us

Japan will get cheaper Canadian beef. Australia gets cheaper canola.
Canada's diary cartel is still protected and we don't get dairy imports.
Will motorbikes get cheaper? Doubt it.
All involved countries have to normalize copyright laws. Not much changes for Canada there. Supposedly New Zealand is getting hosed the most on that one. Oh,maybe NZ lamb imports will be cheaper? There's always some light isn't there?

I don't think you know what ":p" means.

moving on...

i. "There are even rules barring countries from favouring state-owned enterprises"

- This is not aimed at Malaysia or Vietnam. It is aimed at China.

ii. "All parties will be compelled to follow the International Labour Organisation’s basic principles on workers’ rights"

- Ditto. Aimed at China.

iii. "countries that do not live up to the deal’s environmental rules can be pursued through the same dispute-settlement mechanism that will be used to adjudicate commercial grievances."

- Ditto. Aimed at China.

The point of the TPP for the USA is establishing de jure "rules of the game" for all China's neighbours, who are also major trading partners for China. Then China can be brought in, on the TPP's terms.

This is a similar strategy to WTO, which excluded China initially, then after China complied with WTO, China was allowed to join.

The smaller countries win mainly from access to USA markets. And they don't give much up by way of de jure regulation as most are already de facto practices.

For the USA, this is a really good deal, as the short-term gains/losses are neutral, while the long-term strategic advantages are all massively positive.

And what's good for USA in trade usually means that we an Canada can piggy back and get on the windfall.
Source?

Without knowing much about it I would guess at more middle class job erosion. More selection at dollar ramma and the family farm that produces milk will go the way of the doo doo?

Apparently Wynne likes the pact. Considering how she likes Hydro and insurance as well I have a bad feeling about this.

Without knowing much about it I would guess at more middle class job erosion. More selection at dollar ramma and the family farm that produces milk will go the way of the doo doo?

Agreed. It moves us further from the direction society needs to be heading. Buy local, Buy well made products that last. Invest in your community, local economy and not multinational companies. Cheap disposable junk is filling our land fills and eroding our hard working manufacturers and crafts people.

It's ;) not . Get your icons straight.
Emojis.
I have no clue which is which. ?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Yes companies ability to force government policy is scary. Will new laws be made to serve Canadian citizens or international corporations? hmmm

The sad part is that there is little we can do about the whole thing. If we are the only holdout we can expect to be brutally punished to set an example.

Many of the other countries aren't fond of the deal. If we kill it I can see nz and Australia following suit.
I can see a lot of popular rejection everywhere, even the US. This has the potential to be the world's first transnational protest against the same government deal.

Regardless of the potential merit of the deal, I'm opposed simply based on the secrecy and backroom power brokering that's feeding it through the system. If this is in our interest, why not tell us about it?

I can see a lot of popular rejection everywhere, even the US. This has the potential to be the world's first transnational protest against the same government deal.

Regardless of the potential merit of the deal, I'm opposed simply based on the secrecy and backroom power brokering that's feeding it through the system. If this is in our interest, why not tell us about it?

I can't think of one free trade deal that has helped middle or lower class Canadians. There are one are two that didn't hurt but they didn't help either.

[video=youtube;Npl7fuTvANg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npl7fuTvANg[/video]

Means the ISPs will be expected to police the net and I think we can expect ridiculous charges if you get caught sharing copy protected media. We also lose fair use.

Does that mean all my retired relatives with nothing to do will have to stop sending me stupid posters and bits of wisdom via Facebook?

Back
Top Bottom