cbr125r won't start | GTAMotorcycle.com

cbr125r won't start

arnabmajumdar

hey forum! apologies for this post from a newbie.

i kept my bike (a relatively new cbr125)'s lights on for a few minutes by broadview and danforth and now the engine won't start. to the point where the power is so low the electric fuel injection won't go on. i'm pretty sure the battery is dead (i could be wrong, could it be anything else?). what should i do? can i jump-start it from a car? how do i jumpstart it on its own? would you recommend getting it towed? should i replace the battery? do you have any recommendations for who to go to or call in this situation?

any help would be very much appreciated. thanks so much in advance.

hey forum! apologies for this post from a newbie.

i kept my bike (a relatively new cbr125)'s lights on for a few minutes by broadview and danforth and now the engine won't start. to the point where the power is so low the electric fuel injection won't go on. i'm pretty sure the battery is dead (i could be wrong, could it be anything else?). what should i do? can i jump-start it from a car? how do i jumpstart it on its own? would you recommend getting it towed? should i replace the battery? do you have any recommendations for who to go to or call in this situation?

any help would be very much appreciated. thanks so much in advance.

1. Bump start the bike if your in a bind.
2. Yes you can jump it from a car, just make sure the car is off.
3. to jumpstart it on its own , turn kill switch to on, key to on, get a good run with the bike or have someone push while you on it, once up to speed dump the clutch while in first or second.
4.you could get it towed
5. Test the battery first, it might be ok and your charging system is not working properly - throw it on a charger.
6. i have heard alot of people use motolimo or CAA.

Jump starting a bike using a car that is OFF

Jump Starting from Another vehicle -car off at all times. Do not turn the car on at any time -You'll need jumper cables, thick copper cables that have calipers on the ends, one cable red, one cable black -expose your battery on your bike. -red cable first: connect one end to the car, one to your bike -then black cable: connect one end to car, one to your bike -do not let the red touch the black at any time -start your bike -disconnect black from your bike -disconnect red from your bike -disconnect black and red from car, return cables -thank car driver profusely -without stalling or stopping your bike, ride home -using a computerized trickle charger, charge your bike battery

Last edited:
Hang on do not jump start off a car if the bike battery and the car battery is not the same. Ie car is 18v and the bike is 12v ull fry electronics.

You can jump start a bike off a car. Make sure the car IS ON so you dont deplete it if you plan to keep cranking it for a while. Remember.
12v to 12v battery is okay
Never jump from a source with a higher voltage rating battery

Hang on do not jump start off a car if the bike battery and the car battery is not the same. Ie car is 18v and the bike is 12v ull fry electronics.

You can jump start a bike off a car. Make sure the car IS ON so you dont deplete it if you plan to keep cranking it for a while. Remember.

Generally speaking all cars have a 12v system now. Do not start the car, the larger battery has more than enough reserve capacity to boost a bike. The cars alternator can provide to much juice for the smaller bike battery.

should check the basics first..
side stand ... gear selector... kill switch.. etc,, make sure you are clear for take off.. then start to blame the battery

Generally speaking all cars have a 12v system now. Do not start the car, the larger battery has more than enough reserve capacity to boost a bike. The cars alternator can provide to much juice for the smaller bike battery.

That's not true. some cars have 18v (the bigger ones)
if it's connected(jumped in parallel) it'll still stop at the same voltage as both vehicle have voltage regulators to prevent it from 'over charging' ( cars and bikes don't charge beyond 14.5-14.8v typically). you can deplete the existing amperes in a car battery depending on how much amps the starter takes and how long you're cranking it for.

if it's connected(jumped in parallel) it'll still stop at the same voltage as both vehicle have voltage regulators to prevent it from 'over charging' ( cars and bikes don't charge beyond 14.5-14.8v typically). you can deplete the existing amperes in a car battery depending on how much amps the starter takes and how long you're cranking it for.

The problem isn't really overcharging/boiling the motorcycle battery, the problem is cooking the very regulator you are speaking of.

Also, can you name any of these cars that have an 18 volt battery?

Yeah what not to do. lol.

At anytime you jump a bike from a car, ensure the car is always turned OFF!
You wont quickly kill the cars battery by turning over the bike, and besides if it wont go after trying it a few times than get it towed.

The problem isn't really overcharging/boiling the motorcycle battery, the problem is cooking the very regulator you are speaking of.

+1 every lead acid car battery that I know of is a 12v battery. Sure some are larger and have more capacity or cranking power...but they are still 12v batteries.

Also to the OP...if you drained it that badly, the battery is now likely damaged. I'd take it somewhere and get it load tested at the least (assuming you have 2 vehicles), or just replace the battery. If it is a new bike with a new battery, then you might have gotten away with it, so long as you fully charge it in the very near future (the longer it sits dead, the more damage done to the cells in the battery).

if it's connected(jumped in parallel) it'll still stop at the same voltage as both vehicle have voltage regulators to prevent it from 'over charging' ( cars and bikes don't charge beyond 14.5-14.8v typically)..

well,, when you parallel 2 batteries.. they will attempt to equalize.. and so that would be between the rest voltage of both,, so for black board magic.. a 12 jumped to an 18 would equal at 15.. and because the voltage regulator is NOT in the circuit at this point,, and the charging system isn't in the circuit at this point,, there is no protection.. or damage to that system.. when the key is turned to start.. the starter will see the avail higher voltage, and current,, and spin wildly... so it should start quickly! also not damaging the charging system... usually..

saying that a 12 v battery jumped with an 18v would equal 15 is ok to do ... is just that on the black board tho.. because the current that will flow when connected it pretty significant.. and will cause sparks and splatter and plasma.. if you are timid,, it will make you jump,,lol.. and the sparks can be a problem..and if there is gas from a over charging.. under voltage situation,, you can have an explosion..
if the booster cables are very small wire guage, they will impede the current flow.. and make the situation manageable ,, lol but it isn't something to recommend. [small wire similar to most battery charger leads, vs heavy duty booster cables]

yrs ago.. some would boost 6v battery systems with a 12v battery,, it equals about 9... so it probably doesn't damage the 6v system,, as long as the initial inrush current doesn't cause physical damage

many old 6v cars converted to 12v electrics left the starter as 6v ,, and the 6v starter spin fast on 12 volt, and most last a long time.. as long as the engine starts fast, there is little to no starter issue..

Is it the DeWalt Cars that have 18v batteries now..?

I dont know anything about cars but i was told that some big cars carry 18v because of all the acc they carry.

I did a lot of electronic lab works and tinkered with these guys so thats why i say its safe. You wont fry any electronic components by jumping in parallel.

U keep the car only if you require a quick start. Know how much the amp/h the bikes starter takes if you plan to keep cranking the bike for long periods while you figure out why it wont start. Car batteries have x amp/h and if u take too much from it then you wont have enough to satisfy your cars req power. I

I dont understand how someone can fry 12v components on a bike when the car has the same voltage rating. If you crank your bike at high rpm (2-3k below redline) battery voltage will be charged and will go beyond 14v until the regulator kicks in to prevent over charging. Same goes for cars get a dmm and see it for yourself. They top off at mid 14s too. U fry electronics if u feed it more voltages than the rated operating voltage or theres a short in the system and cause more amps to flow which will then melt your wires.

Your bike battery has more than 100 cca and a typical house has (100 amp service). Off that 100a you will only take however amps you circuit requires.

Last edited:
I thought they were all 12v too till someone mentioned it to me at work one time.

Before quoting something you believe is factual please do some research. Just because someone tells you something does not mean it is in fact true. This board, sometimes annoyingly, have some pretty smart people who are not easily fooled. They will also insultingly show you up. Please check your facts.

Dewalt has 18v cells for their tools. There are 18v batteries for the RC community. These are based on lithium ion technology, where a single cell is 3.6v. 18 volts = 5 cells, conveniently. The vast majority of automobile batteries today currently do not use lithium ion technology and therefore do not run on 18v. 12v is the standard.

Certainly the chances of getting a jump start for OP's cbr from a car that runs on 18v is near zero. A Tesla, that uses lithium ion technology, has a nominal voltage of 375v. Do not boost your bike from a Tesla, or if you do please let me know so I can be there to film it.

I dont understand how someone can fry 12v components on a bike when the car has the same voltage rating.
Yes, both vehicles have a nominal 12V electrical system but jump starting from an operating car could cause a current dump that can produce damaging voltage spikes exceeding 120V for up to 400 milliseconds if the load is suddenly removed. Not starting the car will ensure that current is only being supplied by the on-board battery, and not by any inductive components like the alternator.

I thought they were all 12v too till someone mentioned it to me at work one time.
Trucks have 24V systems; cars are usually 12V. I don't know of any vehicle with 18V system.

Last edited:
1. Bump start the bike if your in a bind.
2. Yes you can jump it from a car, just make sure the car is off.
3. to jumpstart it on its own , turn kill switch to on, key to on, get a good run with the bike or have someone push while you on it, once up to speed dump the clutch while in first or second.
4.you could get it towed
5. Test the battery first, it might be ok and your charging system is not working properly - throw it on a charger.
6. i have heard alot of people use motolimo or CAA.

I would agree with this tips, also make sure to do a stress test to know either the battery is the culprit or the charging unit.

Back
Top Bottom