Speeding Ticket in Quebec | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speeding Ticket in Quebec

Buddhacide

Site Supporter
Hi all. I know this information is scattered around the forum but I'm hoping some of you can assist quickly. I got a 130 in a 100 charge outside of Trois Rivieres. I dont believe I was going that fast. Apparently, this is a slap on the wrist in Quebec, but Ive read that in Ontario this will be treated as a major infraction. To complicate things further, apparently Quebec doesnt let paralegals attend on your behalf. Can you please direct me to the best service I can use to fight this on my behalf? Redline, x-copper, any of these guys? Going back to do it in person is not an option. Thanks for any assistance.

Can someone at least confirm for me that 30 over is a "major"infraction? I know it has 4 points, but I just spoke to a well known paralegal and he advised me that its not a major infraction until after 149 or so, but several websites say otherwise. ANy help appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Not a major infraction and won't be deemed as one by Ontario insurance companies. As far as I know, 50+ is a major infraction - though I heard a company (TD maybe?) counts 45km/h over as major.

30km/h over would be minor.

Driving on Quebec highways, it's easy to hit 130 following traffic.... If you're not going 130, you're being passed by pretty much everyone.

In Ontario all tickets received in any of the provinces and territories of Canada as well as the states of New York and Michigan will count and be treated as if you received it in the province of Ontario. (Driving record/points)

I got a speeding ticket when I was on vacation in Banff a few years ago I retained someone that was out there to fight my ticket for me. I would suggest you do the same. The legal representation of where the offence is from will have a much better understanding on how their system works and what they can or can not do, any loopholes, and what lesser charges are more accepted etc.
For example out in Banff (at the time) Failure to wear seatbelt in a very minor offence like $30 and no points where as here its big demerit points. So sure I would have only had to pay $30 but my insurance would go up considerably. So my paralegal looked up what our fines/points system was here and was able to get it reduced to something that was considered insignificant here.

Go ask on m4e.com, its a quebec based motorcycle forum. They may point you out to a good lawyer.

But yeah, get a lawyer. Also, don't go pass 118km/h, I don't get the other guy, I come from Shawinigan (Now living in Ontario) and most people drive around 110km/h. On the 55 its more like 100...

Thanks all for your feedback. This is a huge pain, as I suppose its supposed to be. x-copper has a lawyer in Quebec that does this apparently. I think I'm going to fight it through them. Although, I'm not sure what to expect. Even though the ticket is technically reduced, its not by much so as long as I'm not in major infraction territory I think its worth fighting. At the moment I'm trying to get an English copy of the ticket, which is already going to take a month. I'm tempted to share more details, but that's probably not the best idea. Any further insight is most appreciated though.

Back
Top Bottom