Right on Red when Opposite Direction has Left Turn Arrow | GTAMotorcycle.com

Right on Red when Opposite Direction has Left Turn Arrow

unL33T

I was under the impression that if you have a left turn arrow that you have right of way to make your left turn. However, I have noticed that many people will make a right on red without bothering to pay attention to the fact that people are turning left (this is only a single lane road) and will cut them off. Today on my drive home I witnessed this once and had it happen to me a few minutes later.

So who has right of way? Can the right turner cut off left turning traffic as long as he stops first?

I can understand it might happen occasionally if you don't really notice that the other lane has the left turn arrow but it happens to me almost every single day at a particular intersection. I often honk. Sometimes I don't. But if they're allowed to do that I guess I'll stop my honking and just get silently annoyed, lol.

I was under the impression that if you have a left turn arrow that you have right of way to make your left turn. However, I have noticed that many people will make a right on red without bothering to pay attention to the fact that people are turning left (this is only a single lane road) and will cut them off. Today on my drive home I witnessed this once and had it happen to me a few minutes later.

So who has right of way? Can the right turner cut off left turning traffic as long as he stops first?

I can understand it might happen occasionally if you don't really notice that the other lane has the left turn arrow but it happens to me almost every single day at a particular intersection. I often honk. Sometimes I don't. But if they're allowed to do that I guess I'll stop my honking and just get silently annoyed, lol.

You have the right of way. For some reason a red light no longer means stop for many people if they're turning right...

People will do that all day long here. Some barely slow down, and yet, at this one intersection, everyone will stop at the yield while the left turn traffic proceeds onto a three lane road.

Oh they stop. They just go as soon as I'm half way through my turn.

People turning right on red do not have right of way under any circumstance. They arrive at the red light (while signalling a right turn), then wait to proceed until it is clear.

Google gave me some interesting conflicting answers.

From the sounds of it I can continue honking like a dick.

Kid at work is finally getting his license. Reads everything. Pointed out to me the other day that it is in fact illegal to make a right when opposing traffic has an advanced green.
I will join you on your crusade of honking and being a dick (who has the right of way).

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Kid at work is finally getting his license. Reads everything. Pointed out to me the other day that it is in fact illegal to make a right when opposing traffic has an advanced green.
I will join you on your crusade of honking and being a dick (who has the right of way).

TorchGang_thumb.jpg

If you can ask him where he saw that, I'd love to read it.

I've always wanted to be a part of a lynch mob!! ?

http://www.wheels.ca/news/advance-green-doesnt-prevent-a-right-turn-on-red/

This article quotes a Pointts paralegal and an MTO spokesperson. They both agree that it is ok to sneak a right turn on red while the left-turn light is green.

If you try really hard, you can still google some other folks who say the very opposite thing, including one poor guy who says he got a ticket for it...maybe he should call Pointts.

This isn't about the original right-of-way question, it makes sense to me that the driver who has the green light should get priority over the driver who is turning on a red. This link looks at the other question: whether it is ever ok to sneak a right turn while the left-turn light is showing green.

I'm fine with people sneaking the turn of no one's coming. But I hate being cut off or having to slow down because someone pulled in front of me.

This isn't about the original right-of-way question, it makes sense to me that the driver who has the green light should get priority over the driver who is turning on a red. This link looks at the other question: whether it is ever ok to sneak a right turn while the left-turn light is showing green.

Assuming that there is no sign prohibiting right turns on a red, of course it's ok. It's no different than making a right turn when the cross-street light is showing green. You stop, yield to other traffic moving in the intersection, and then proceed if there is a sufficient gap or no traffic at all.

Advanced green turning left has right of way... happens all the time at an intersection by my house. Annoys the crap out of me when people turn right on the red and cut off the advanced green...

if I am the one turning right on red then I always wait for the left turn filter people - even if it is one lane into two. I don't trust the left turners not to drift across to the wrong lane

Keep in mind that if everyone is turning into their OWN lane and signalling properly when doing lane changes, this shouldn't be a problem on roads with multiple lanes of travel in the same direction......

also, whoever thinks that turning right while the opposite direction traffic has an advanced green is illegal, is on crack. How are you supposed to know if they have one???

How about on a road with two lanes going the same direction ? Is that okay or no? I'm asking because I've had a couple times of people going on their advance green from the left lane to a mid turn lane switch to my lane or whatever. Who would be at fault there assuming I turn into my lane and he does not?

Keep in mind that if everyone is turning into their OWN lane and signalling properly when doing lane changes, this shouldn't be a problem on roads with multiple lanes of travel in the same direction......

also, whoever thinks that turning right while the opposite direction traffic has an advanced green is illegal, is on crack. How are you supposed to know if they have one???

As long as people realize what a red light means, there shouldn't be an issue.
If all of the left turners are quickly changing into the right hand lane, then it isn't safe to proceed, is it?

Did you really just ask how do you know if they have an advanced green?? And I'm on crack?? Lol. Dude. They're turning. Your light is red. *mind blown*

Did you really just ask how do you know if they have an advanced green?? And I'm on crack?? Lol. Dude. They're turning. Your light is red. *mind blown*

Really eh. That's the kind of take it to court evidence I was looking for.

Really man?!?

Back
Top Bottom