Riding with and drinking from a CamelBAK legal? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding with and drinking from a CamelBAK legal?

silence

I know with the recent update with the distracted driving laws police seem to be cracking down on almost everything now. Hell eating a bagel now whilst driving is illegal along with drinking (Non-alcoholic fluids) is considered "distracting". However, I ride all the time with a CamelBAK now and re-hydrate with it whilst riding. I've yet to be pulled over with it on so I'm uncertain would this type of device/use be illegal?

I mean I could technically keep the hose in my mouth the entire time and not touch it but let's be realistic here.

Thoughts, comments?

Though they will tag you for even holding a phone, it's really the using of it that's "illegal" while driving. Wonder how many tickets they could generate in the morning if drinking a coffee was "illegal"???

Since a Camelbak is designed to be used on the go, I figure they should be fine with it. At most, if pulled over, they might want to make sure it is water or gatorade in it vs something else.

I know with the recent update with the distracted driving laws police seem to be cracking down on almost everything now. Hell eating a bagel now whilst driving is illegal along with drinking (Non-alcoholic fluids) is considered "distracting". However, I ride all the time with a CamelBAK now and re-hydrate with it whilst riding. I've yet to be pulled over with it on so I'm uncertain would this type of device/use be illegal?

I mean I could technically keep the hose in my mouth the entire time and not touch it but let's be realistic here.

Thoughts, comments?

The distracted driving law specifically refers to handheld electronic devices. See http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/distracted-driving.shtml

It does not cover coffee, bagels, CamelBaks, or anything else except for certain kinds of electronic devices.

If your bagel seriously interferes with your ability to driving, you could in theory be looking at a careless driving charge or even dangerous driving or criminal negligence charges, but your driving would have to be seriously "off" for that to occur.

My bagel only interferes with my driving while I'm buttering it.
Seriously though, I hate mornings and always eat my bagel and drink my coffee onvthe way in to work. If there's a ticket for this, I'm effed.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I'm thinking the police would never leave the parking lot if they could not eat their donuts on the go.

The camelBAK should be OK.

I'm thinking the police would never leave the parking lot if they could not eat their donuts on the go.

The camelBAK should be OK.

Yeah but cops are exempt when on duty...figure the donut could fit into the same category as their laptop. lol

So basically everything not listed explicitly under distracted driving is umbrellaed under either a careless driving or dangerous driving charge. So as long as I don't crash into a children's hospital or a police station I should be golden right?

I would be surprised if they noticed or knew what a camelbak is. I wouldn't worry about it.

Guess I need to stop eating burgers while driving a manual. It can be messy, anyway.

Also, A&W onion rings are no longer permitted in my car.

Guess I need to stop eating burgers while driving a manual. It can be messy, anyway.

Also, A&W onion rings are no longer permitted in my car.

A&W rings are permitted anywhere they goddamn want.

The distracted driving law specifically refers to handheld electronic devices. See http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/distracted-driving.shtml

It does not cover coffee, bagels, CamelBaks, or anything else except for certain kinds of electronic devices.

If your bagel seriously interferes with your ability to driving, you could in theory be looking at a careless driving charge or even dangerous driving or criminal negligence charges, but your driving would have to be seriously "off" for that to occur.

Yes the current campaign is "focused on" hand held devices, but you can still be charged with ANYTHING that the officer and (eventually the courts), deem to have been distracting from your operation of a motor vehcile. If someone wishes to research on Canlaw, you will find cases involving applying make up, eating, reading, (books and newspapers etc). So it is NOt just limited to the electronic hand held devices as implied in the above post.

But the secondary point is valid, the officer would likely go with a careless or dangerous driving charge, knowing it would get reduced by the crown. Your driving need not be that poor simply drifting onto the center yellow line is enough to get you pulled over.

Having clarified that, OP I would imagine at best you may get pulled over for a "check" to see exctly what it is your "rehydrating" yourself with. but doubt it would result in a charge, just have the tube in your miuth when officer approaches.

Last edited:
A&W rings are permitted anywhere they goddamn want.

But they are SO messy! Plus I find they don't taste nearly as good as they look. Maybe I need to find a better location.

But they are SO messy! Plus I find they don't taste nearly as good as they look. Maybe I need to find a better location.

Yes. Messy, but so are the best pRonstars. Correlation?

Perhaps Bk rings are required - small and easy to manage if i recall correctly.

Yes the current campaign is "focused on" hand held devices, but you can still be charged with ANYTHING that the officer and (eventually the courts), deem to have been distracting from your operation of a motor vehcile. If someone wishes to research on Canlaw, you will find cases involving applying make up, eating, reading, (books and newspapers etc). So it is NOt just limited to the electronic hand held devices as implied in the above post.

But the secondary point is valid, the officer would likely go with a careless or dangerous driving charge, knowing it would get reduced by the crown. Your driving need not be that poor simply drifting onto the center yellow line is enough to get you pulled over.

Having clarified that, OP I would imagine at best you may get pulled over for a "check" to see exctly what it is your "rehydrating" yourself with. but doubt it would result in a charge, just have the tube in your miuth when officer approaches.

The new law is specific. It does not apply to make-up or eating or print materials.
Hand-held devices prohibited

Wireless communication devices

78.1 (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held wireless communication device or other prescribed device that is capable of receiving or transmitting telephone communications, electronic data, mail or text messages. 2009, c. 4, s. 2.
Entertainment devices

(2) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held electronic entertainment device or other prescribed device the primary use of which is unrelated to the safe operation of the motor vehicle. 2009, c. 4, s. 2.
Hands-free mode allowed

(3) Despite subsections (1) and (2), a person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while using a device described in those subsections in hands-free mode. 2009, c. 4, s. 2.

The law does go on to say that the list of prescribed devices (and exceptions) may be

Regulations

(7) The Minister may make regulations,
(a) prescribing devices for the purpose of subsections (1) and (2);
(b) prescribing persons, classes of persons, devices, activities, conditions and circumstances for the purpose of subsection (4). 2009, c. 4, s. 2.

The associated regulations can be found at http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/090366 . I tried hard but could find nothing about make-up or hamburgers. Canlii does have several drivers distracted by various means facing careless, dangerous, and impaired driving charges.

Ok then next time you are beside a cruiser pick up your newspaper start reading and driving along side of them making it obvious what you are doing and report your findings back....lol

good luck

As I stated most officers will opt to go with the careless or dangerous. BUT distracted can also be laid it would be covered under this little tidbit..

(b) prescribing persons, classes of persons, devices, activities, conditions and circumstances for the purpose of subsection (4). 2009, c. 4, s. 2.

So you can contend all day it is "device specific" but it is not.

The new law is specific. It does not apply to make-up or eating or print materials.
Hand-held devices prohibited

Wireless communication devices

78.1 (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held wireless communication device or other prescribed device that is capable of receiving or transmitting telephone communications, electronic data, mail or text messages. 2009, c. 4, s. 2.
Entertainment devices

(2) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held electronic entertainment device or other prescribed device the primary use of which is unrelated to the safe operation of the motor vehicle. 2009, c. 4, s. 2.
Hands-free mode allowed

(3) Despite subsections (1) and (2), a person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while using a device described in those subsections in hands-free mode. 2009, c. 4, s. 2.

The law does go on to say that the list of prescribed devices (and exceptions) may be

Regulations

The associated regulations can be found at http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/090366 . I tried hard but could find nothing about make-up or hamburgers. Canlii does have several drivers distracted by various means facing careless, dangerous, and impaired driving charges.

Ok then next time you are beside a cruiser pick up your newspaper start reading and driving along side of them making it obvious what you are doing and report your findings back....lol

good luck

As I stated most officers will opt to go with the careless or dangerous. BUT distracted can also be laid it would be covered under this little tidbit..

So you can contend all day it is "device specific" but it is not.

Oh you could be charged for distracted driving for reading a newspaper beside a cruiser and if it was me with the newspaper, I would hope to be so charged. Conviction is another matter.

Your little tidbit is still subject to regulations. The "distracted driving" law still applies only to devices or activities "prescribed" by regulation. Again, no mention in the regulations of a newspaper being one of the prescribed devices or activities. http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/090366

Depending on circumstances and outcome, careless driving, dangerous driving, or criminal negligence for reading a newspaper while driving is another thing altogether.

Perhaps Bk rings are required - small and easy to manage if i recall correctly.

There's no way those things are close to natural. Onions aren't that uniform, lol. But they are great when fresh and loads of zesty sauce.

Harvey's are the best IMO, but all onion rings should be eaten with mayo. :)

There's no way those things are close to natural. Onions aren't that uniform, lol. But they are great when fresh and loads of zesty sauce.

Harvey's are the best IMO, but all onion rings should be eaten with mayo. :)

Mcnuggets of the onion ring world.

Since a Camelbak is designed to be used on the go, I figure they should be fine with it. At most, if pulled over, they might want to make sure it is water or gatorade in it vs something else.

Isn't a cell phone made to be used on the go? LOL.

Tell ya what silence - so long as a cop doesn't witness you serving all over the roadway, and almost cause 15 accidents trying to take a sippy from your camelbak you'll be fine. If you can demonstrate the sipping from the camelbak isn't causing you to be distracted, you're fine. Cell-phones became illegal to use while driving, because people couldn't figure out how to drive and use them at the same time without killing each other. That's a bit forgivable too, because it is kinda hard to pay proper attention while trying to txt with a phone.

So far, this has not happened to bagel eating, coffee drinking, newspaper reading, nail clipping, etc.. Then again, EVERYONE has a cellphone attached at their hip running their lives. Not everyone is eating a bagel.

Back
Top Bottom