PA best roads | GTAMotorcycle.com

PA best roads

mbroyda

Hi All

Leaving to PA for 3 days on Friday, staying in Williamsport, from what I can see on google maps there are LOTS of good roads in the area around Renovo and Allegheny forest that I plan on exploring anything else that I'm missing and should know? I would hate to come back and find out I was 10 min away from an epic road and didnt ride it.

Cheers

Max

There are no epic roads in PA/Allegheny, but these are good:
Hyner Mountain rd up to the top for a nice view,
Wykoff Run Rd
Kettle Creek Rd

PA 125 south of Shamokin is a bit far but a sweet road as well.

I spend a lot of time riding down there. As a matter of fact I was in Williamsport Labour Day Weekend and tried a couple of new roads that I hadn't done before. One that's really close to Williamsport but pretty short is 477 between Rosencrans and Selona. There are lot's of Amish in that area so be carefull of the horse patties in the corners. Also 554 or Sulpher Springs road right out of South Williamsport is another short fun ride close to your base. 44 south of Coudersport is freshly paved but a few miles in the road is closed. We went through anyways and it's not bad at all. They've just taken a layer of asphalt off to resurface it. Once you get past the closed section it's great. 144 from Renovo to Snowshoe is my favorite.

There are no epic roads in PA/Allegheny, but these are good:
Hyner Mountain rd up to the top for a nice view,
Wykoff Run Rd
Kettle Creek Rd

PA 125 south of Shamokin is a bit far but a sweet road as well.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a great road.
Ride it all the way to the bottom (ends at State Route 209, I think) and then all the way back up again.
Watch some of the hairpins though and take your time the first time down it.

Rob

How much time did you spend on this route?
Riding it? this was a day ride, left at 7 and was probably back home around 10pm, no stop only for gas and food and at the top of Hyner.

Last edited:
Riding it? this was a day ride, left at 7 and was probably back home around 10pm, no stop only for gas and food and at the top of Hyner.

Sweet...that's my type of ride.

You can find some good roads north/east of Williamsport, between 15 and US81 and south of NY State Line.
Some of my favourites: 864, 87, 42 loop to Eagles Mere, 154 to Worlds End State Park and beyond, 14, 414, 187, 367.

Koval i have only done the 414 from Morris to Jersey Shore but its a great ride.
The rest of your roads look great also.
Would love to explore this WESP more.
I'm surprised that there isn't a sticky for riding in PA by now.
Admin?

Koval i have only done the 414 from Morris to Jersey Shore but its a great ride.
The rest of your roads look great also.
Would love to explore this WESP more.
I'm surprised that there isn't a sticky for riding in PA by now.
Admin?
Roads east of 15 are just as good, you won't be disappointed. You can base out of Wellsboro,Williamsport or one of the B&B's in Eagles Mere. Residents of this town are super friendly, mostly elderly. Don't be surprised if they ask you to join them for dinner and a home made pie.

It's hard to find a boring road in Northern Pennsylvania. I usually stay in Kane and just explore whatever I feel like in the Allegheny area and state forests all the way to Williamsport. It's hard to list all the nice roads there, but I'll give you one that's often overlooked - Longhouse Scenic Drive. There are two fine overlooks of the Allegheny Reservoir after the end of the road, a very good beach under the bridge and a marina. The dam is just around the corner and if you explore a little you'll find a seldom traveled gravel road that goes through a nice forest by a very interesting reservoir on the hill.

Don't restrict yourself to just riding either. There's plenty to see and experience there, from good and cheap food, to beautiful vistas and scenic overlooks, to swimming in lakes and rivers, to hiking, to a railroad bridge that was blown away by a tornado, to Zippo museum and museum of oil and gas. There's even more if you like gravel or are adventurous enough to explore some logging roads and single tracks.

Just to throw in a few more: 666, 555, 120, 144, 414... Just go and explore, you'll love it.

100_4391.JPG

Thanks for all the tips guys. We hit a good number of roads even tho the weather was terrible this weekend. My favorite was 144 south of Renovo. Also 154 and 87 were good. Easy to get carried away down there.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

It's hard to find a boring road in Northern Pennsylvania. I usually stay in Kane and just explore whatever I feel like in the Allegheny area and state forests all the way to Williamsport. It's hard to list all the nice roads there, but I'll give you one that's often overlooked - Longhouse Scenic Drive. There are two fine overlooks of the Allegheny Reservoir after the end of the road, a very good beach under the bridge and a marina. The dam is just around the corner and if you explore a little you'll find a seldom traveled gravel road that goes through a nice forest by a very interesting reservoir on the hill.

Don't restrict yourself to just riding either. There's plenty to see and experience there, from good and cheap food, to beautiful vistas and scenic overlooks, to swimming in lakes and rivers, to hiking, to a railroad bridge that was blown away by a tornado, to Zippo museum and museum of oil and gas. There's even more if you like gravel or are adventurous enough to explore some logging roads and single tracks.

Just to throw in a few more: 666, 555, 120, 144, 414... Just go and explore, you'll love it.

100_4391.JPG

^^^^^^^ Oh man I remember first discovering this gem!!!!!!

^^^^^^^ Oh man I remember first discovering this gem!!!!!!

It's easy to miss, although one should pay attention when they mark a road as "scenic" in the area where 90% of the roads would be considered as such by someone living in southeastern Ontario :).

was a good trip, rained more than I would have liked it to, almost smoked a deer on the first day, spent half the 2nd day in the motel waiting for the heavy rain to stop, got some good twistiest in before it got real bad tho so wasn't all bad, 3rd day got up early and headed home the long way, started raining as we crossed into NY and didn't stop until we hit Mississauga, highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been, or who has been, roads are in awesome condition

Back
Top Bottom