Bike was Stolen | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike was Stolen

No. Without the invoices you are done. Like I previously stated, you can't insure a bike for 3000 replacement value, claim they owe you more (say you put 7000 in for arguments sake) and ask for 10G back. You were paying for a 3000 bike, not 10,000.

Some companies wouldn't cover it at all, I'm surprised at some of the comments here.

No. Without the invoices you are done. Like I previously stated, you can't insure a bike for 3000 replacement value, claim they owe you more (say you put 7000 in for arguments sake) and ask for 10G back. You were paying for a 3000 bike, not 10,000.

Some companies wouldn't cover it at all, I'm surprised at some of the comments here.
I wouldn't have even mentioned the Power Commander since several companies told me that's a power mod and would completely void my policy.

You say you can not at all get reimbursed for contents you did not directly insure, yet you imply with invoices they will be reimbursed?

Since they are asking for their invoices I'm assuming they will be covered for if invoices are provided in which she as well stated over the phone. So I don't think just because aftermarket items were not specifically insured they will not be covered.

I totaled my 7 series BMW and had over $7k worth of Forgiato wheels on them - never told my insurance about the wheel. Got full value for Bimmer and full value for wheels.

Full exhaust may be yes. However it may not either.

Slip on is just decibels

I totaled my 7 series BMW and had over $7k worth of Forgiato wheels on them - never told my insurance about the wheel. Got full value for Bimmer and full value for wheels.

You had to provide receipts for that, correct?

I put a full exhaust on, told state Farm, had receipts and went there and they took a pic of it in their parking lot. Couldn't even email them one "if you want to ensure this is covered", and took the advice of my agent. The 1000 I spent didn't cause rates to go up, but they knew.

You had to provide receipts for that, correct?

I put a full exhaust on, told state Farm, had receipts and went there and they took a pic of it in their parking lot. Couldn't even email them one "if you want to ensure this is covered", and took the advice of my agent. The 1000 I spent didn't cause rates to go up, but they knew.

No receipts, no
I I still have the emails I sent the broker when I first insured my bike. She asked I send her pics. In the pics my exhaust shows. So do my gloves sitting on the bike which were in passenger storage.
I have text messages from months ago speaking about my power commander with my bike technician.

I don't have actual receipts. Who in the world saves all receipts?? People also purchase in cash these days from private sales.

I'm pretty lost, not sure what to expect. I've already begun looking into small claims options

Which company said that? And isn't an exhaust a power mod?
At least State Farm. A few others as well but SF put it in writing (email). They said exhaust is a "grey area" that they usually allow.

Full exhaust may be yes. However it may not either.

Slip on is just decibels
I agree 100% but insurance companies aren't always the most logical. I only wanted it to smooth out the fuel map and get better fuel economy.

I have a hard time believing anyone paid out the 7000 wheels without a receipt.

So you bought the bike with exhaust...what did you claim as purchase price/what number did they give you for replacement? Read your contract.

I pay cash, and I get receipts which I keep. Adults do, that's who

You're comparing apples to oranges with this example. You totalled the car....so the adjuster could actually see what the car had on it. Your bike disappeared like a fart in the wind. Of course they want receipts to prove what was on it. At least they're willing to reimburse if you can prove it.

Things haven't been going the greatest with the insurance. I have an incredibly busy schedule. I sleep 5-6 hrs a day, I work full time, and attend uni full time. I have breakfast, bagel and coffee, on my way to school, and lunch is usually missed. When the adjuster and I finally caught one another she had somewhat of an attitude because we were playing phone tag and because I said sorry I don't have time at the moment when she said she's going to ask me questions and it's going to take 45min to 1 hour. That's insane! Anyhow, I called her numerous times afterwards and every adjuster I spoke to said they don't have time at the moment and said I have to schedule with the assigned lady (who never picks up). I'll try again on Monday and will have to wake up an hr early to catch her since she leaves at 4pm although their department closes at 7pm. Worst case scenario I will request (if I'm permitted in doing so) a new adjuster that works past 4pm where usually I am available between 5 and 7pm for an hour.

Has anyone with the unfortunate experience of losing their bike/car dealt with being interrogated for an hour? So our vehicles get stolen and we're grilled for an hour lol. Can't they just send me a questionnaire or pamphlet to answer all their questions, sign it, and send it back.

There going to low ball you and give you a hard time. Get ready for a fight. They hate paying out.

It took me 6 months to get an agreeable settlement when my bike was hit and knocked on its side.

5 years before, when the same bike was stolen (only 1 year old at the time), they would only offer 2/3 of its value as compensation.
In that case, an investigator showed up and grilled me for an hour too.

You will not be able to sue, (and win), in small claims court. As stated above they will intially low ball you, but you are permitted to counter with whatever you "feel" is the value of the bike they may come up some, or they may not. In the end if you disagree with the value, you can file a complaint with the TD Ombudsperson, and evenutally esculate it to FSCO.

But if you go the small claims route and lets say they offer $5,000 and you sue saying the "true value" is $8,000, you will have to prove why your valuation is more accurate, than theirs. IE being able to produce legit reciepts for the items you "claim" were on the bike. Having text messages with a tech about a power commander m=are really meaningless, as you can PROVE the part was still actually ON the bike when it was stolen.

Just because you may have paid $500 for a part doesn't mean that that adds $500 to the value of the bike, (unless it was installed the week before as a brand new part). The reason they want receipts is to pinpoint a reasonable value. A Power commander might be worth $1000 brand new, but if it was on the bike for 4 years it is no longer worth $1000. How can they confirm the age of the part without proof, (receipt), that it wasn't a 10 year old part your buddy gave you when he sold his bike 2 years ago, or that it actually EVER existed? Or that the exhaust was intially $500 new but you bought off kijiji, after someone bought it installed used it for 2 seasons then stripped the bike and sold the exhaust you for $50? Should they give $500 for a $50 part??

But your getting way ahead of yourself, you should at least wait and see what they offer and how receptive they are to your counter, before deciding to go to small claims, (where they can, If they prevail, ask you to pay their legal fees).

No one said anything about paing deductible for a hit and run. the OP's bike was stolen, and in the case of my hit and run, there was no damage hence no claim, hence no deductible to pay.

You should never have to pay deductible for a hit and run if the other vehicle can be identified... Or at least that's what I was told be state farm once.

No one said anything about paing deductible for a hit and run. the OP's bike was stolen, and in the case of my hit and run, there was no damage hence no claim, hence no deductible to pay.
Yeah I must've got the two stories mixed up or something.

On the subject of receipts, I always keep them mainly for warranty purposes.

I have had a totally different experience with State Farmand a claim I filed. I ended up getting full value of all my extras. My situation may be different because I’vebeen with State Farm for over 20 years, had no claims and have multiplepolicies with them (cars, motorcycle, life, personal items, etc.) I had provided before and after photos of themods on the bike along with the cost breakdown.

As the beginning of the season, I low sided (hard) andthe bike flipped causing about $10K worth of damages (and walked away with onlya tiny patch of road rash on my arm). Iknew the bike was a write-off because I cracked the sub frame. I had putabout $3k worth of mods/extras on the bike over 2 years - frame sliders, soloseat, LED lights, anodized reservoirs, helmet lock, RoadLok (and more) and Igot the full value of everything.

I hope everything works out for you. Karma is a ***** and the thief will get what’s coming to him eventually!!!

Last edited:
2 things..

1 - if you shop locally and buy parts from reputable businesses, I'm sure you could find one that would provide you with a receipt, be it legitimate or otherwise. Some people might balk at this but too bad, it's true.

2 - Never tell an adjuster you don't have time. Ever. They have you by the balls so bad, as you have now discovered. This exact scenario happened on a buddy of mine when his bike was stolen. 6 weeks went by and they actually recovered it. Still wrote it off, though.

As far as I know, a diligent insurance adjuster who is good at their job would not pay out for any aftermarket accessories, unless those were disclosed and factored into your premiums.

What would stop you from claiming that you had diamond studded rims on a $1000k bike and demanding a $250,000 payout? Logic, that's what!

I pay cash, and I get receipts which I keep. Adults do, that's who

Receipts are called 'Proof of Purchase' for a reason...

All receipts have been kept for my bike and truck. They are filed away in order by date. I even keep minor receipts for a few days/weeks.

Keeping receipts is just good practice...you never know when you'll be reqired to produce one.

Last summer I went to get gas, paid debit at the pump. Filled it up and left, never grabbed my receipt.
Few hours later there's an OPP at my door, the station attendant said I gassed up and didn't pay, I had no receipt. The OPP followed me to my bank to see a printout showing my gas debit purchase.
I now grab the receipt. Lol

Back
Top Bottom