Do track day organizers allow aerial filming? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do track day organizers allow aerial filming?

Drones have been my hobbies for years and my equipments are all proclevel ( Hollywood level) . so im confident but who would believe me?

I don't use toys like diji phantom...

One of my drones is for high speed chase. It can reach 140km/h. I think it would be perfect for some long straight footage.

There was a TV show shooting a pilot at Calabogie a few years ago. You can check them out on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtad1pvkwE8 They had a drone and have included a few clips in the videos. For the most part they kept the drone stationary over the paddock or the grass. While I did see the drone while I was riding, it didn't really bother me. They did have a problem of some sort with the drone, but I'm pretty sure it came down in a safe place.

140 km/h would be of little use chasing bikes down a long straight.

For race tracks drones are a touchy subject. I know our insurance provider has sent us recommendations regarding their use and our coverage. The only drones we have allowed are companies who are in the business, we check them out re past work done, the equipment, experience, etc. and can they provide us with multi -million $ insurance certificates naming GBM as an additional insured. (We had one this past wkd). We also make it mandatory that the drone stays back at least 75-100ft from the racing surface (this past wkd we did not use the North bleachers so they shot from above them - about 100ft back from the Dragstrip - some awesome footage).
At GBM if a legit company wanted to do some work re the road course they would need to stay within the confines of the Moto X track area - which would work great as they could move around this area without ever having to cross the track or get within 75-100ft and still capture the entire layout.

For race tracks drones are a touchy subject. I know our insurance provider has sent us recommendations regarding their use and our coverage. The only drones we have allowed are companies who are in the business, we check them out re past work done, the equipment, experience, etc. and can they provide us with multi -million $ insurance certificates naming GBM as an additional insured. (We had one this past wkd). We also make it mandatory that the drone stays back at least 75-100ft from the racing surface (this past wkd we did not use the North bleachers so they shot from above them - about 100ft back from the Dragstrip - some awesome footage).
At GBM if a legit company wanted to do some work re the road course they would need to stay within the confines of the Moto X track area - which would work great as they could move around this area without ever having to cross the track or get within 75-100ft and still capture the entire layout.

bye bye ...no grand bend TD's for me.

^ I presume by that comment, you are assuming that there would actually be a drone at a Grand Bend track day, and that you will therefore not attend those track days because of that drone.

I don't think a drone has been used at any publicly-available track day at Grand Bend. The Motorcycle Wars situation was a private track rental, and I heard more about this situation over this past weekend. No thanks.

I don't do track days, but my position would likely be that if I saw a drone being used, then there is either a cease-and-desist on the drone activity, or I'm asking for my money back. Too much risk.

Back
Top Bottom