Do track day organizers allow aerial filming? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do track day organizers allow aerial filming?

Concac

Looking to see if i can shoot some amazing topgear like footage for you guys.

Last edited:
not over a live track.

personally i would be okay with it with certain ground rules

keep a good distance, and be in constant communication with the marshals incase it crashes, so hey can yellow flag the course.

In which i would be ****** if it crashed and you still wanted like $10 for the footage.

Drones have been my hobbies for years and my equipments are all proclevel ( Hollywood level) . so im confident but who would believe me?

I don't use toys like diji phantom...

One of my drones is for high speed chase. It can reach 140km/h. I think it would be perfect for some long straight footage.

That would be pretty badass but not sure you'll get permission. All you can do is ask though.

As a rider/racer, my vote would be "Absolutely not". Rider safety has to be the primary consideration here.

Perhaps you say you are responsible enough to not come too close to riders on track ... but there is no way to distinguish you, or your drone, from anyone else's. And if your drone has a technical malfunction that causes it to come down on track when someone is approaching it at 100+ mph ... or an operator error that has the same result ... I am pretty sure a rider hitting a drone at that speed at head level would be a fatality. It is NOT worth the risk.

My understanding - from having spoken directly to riders involved! - is that during the recent filming of the "Motorcycle Mayhem" series, there were some uncomfortably close calls with drones that were used during filming, and that was with so-called professional operators who said they wouldn't operate over the track surface or too close to it ... and proceeded to do just that.

CTMP (Mosport) does not allow drone operation on the property during track events. It is possible that exceptions might be made in specific circumstances but if there is general public involved, and general ("public") participants on the track, there is no way they should be allowing this risk.

As a rider/racer, my vote would be "Absolutely not". Rider safety has to be the primary consideration here.

Perhaps you say you are responsible enough to not come too close to riders on track ... but there is no way to distinguish you, or your drone, from anyone else's. And if your drone has a technical malfunction that causes it to come down on track when someone is approaching it at 100+ mph ... or an operator error that has the same result ... I am pretty sure a rider hitting a drone at that speed at head level would be a fatality. It is NOT worth the risk.

My understanding - from having spoken directly to riders involved! - is that during the recent filming of the "Motorcycle Mayhem" series, there were some uncomfortably close calls with drones that were used during filming, and that was with so-called professional operators who said they wouldn't operate over the track surface or too close to it ... and proceeded to do just that.

CTMP (Mosport) does not allow drone operation on the property during track events. It is possible that exceptions might be made in specific circumstances but if there is general public involved, and general ("public") participants on the track, there is no way they should be allowing this risk.
I think it actually hit Rob...

You made all good points. I think the regulator need to catch up with the technology. It would be great if they have proper professional license for drone operators. The risk then would be more or less as a riding participant.

These things showed up and became available to the general public and slipped through ALL the cracks in the regulatory system. Sooner or later, someone is going to get killed by one of these things, and depending on the scale of the incident (let's say, commercial aircraft hitting one), they could become a much bigger priority in a big hurry.

These things showed up and became available to the general public and slipped through ALL the cracks in the regulatory system. Sooner or later, someone is going to get killed by one of these things, and depending on the scale of the incident (let's say, commercial aircraft hitting one), they could become a much bigger priority in a big hurry.

Drones have been around for quite some time. Just in recent years some start up make some toys models for general public. ( they think its like an app )....sigh

It affects us all as now we ( pro hobbist) got lots of restriction too.

The gear i have can fly up to 60km radius, it can be used as an weapon due to its payload capability.

I would trust your drone over most bikes on a TMP weekend

:eek:

Drones have been around for quite some time. Just in recent years some start up make some toys models for general public. ( they think its like an app )....sigh

It affects us all as now we ( pro hobbist) got lots of restriction too.

The gear i have can fly up to 60km radius, it can be used as an weapon due to its payload capability.

have any cool footage to share?

I think that having static drones hover over certain grassed areas that aren't normally accessed by foot would be okay so that if they run out of battery they fall within a certain radius that is only grass/off track areas.

No drones at SOAR while track is hot.
I was controlling the track at the filming of the show in question. Because it was a closed set and used in filming it was decided that the drone could be in peripherals shooting sweeping shots and pans.It was NOT to be over the track ahead of riders. It could only cross after they went by (only two riders on track at once) The operator lost control and we almost has a catastrophe. This was a well trained guy with a VERY expensive high end drone so if he can do it anyone can. Cant speak for trackday operators I imagine its like other rules. Some will and some wont.

DJI Phantom 3 just got a firmware update with a "follow me" mode... News articles should get interesting soon as eventually someone will try to follow their bike... Lol.

There was a drone at TMP a few months ago. It just hovered on the inside of corners and would rotate to film riders as they went by. Never saw any footage from it and it was only there once so not sure how the organizers felt about it.

[video=youtube;ZN0A5dHBMLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN0A5dHBMLs[/video]

lol

You made all good points. I think the regulator need to catch up with the technology. It would be great if they have proper professional license for drone operators. The risk then would be more or less as a riding participant.

Transport Canada has plenty of regulations covering drone operation. Each flight that takes place anywhere near where people might be has to be cleared with them. Tracks have their own rules beyond that.

Back
Top Bottom