Deals gap in October | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deals gap in October

Bikerider

Has anyone gone down there in the fall? What is the weather like? I am thinking of going back again for the thanksgiving long weekend plus a few extra days.

I went last year at the end of September. It was 30 degrees and sunny during the day, but at night it was about 12 or so, which made for foggy mornings.

Let's say one wasn't Thanksgiving-constrained. How would one time a Deal's Gap trip for optimal fall colours?

I went down 4 or 5 years ago in mid to late October, if it rains it'll suck obviously. Leaves on the road in corners can be an issue on areas like 28 with heavy canopy and tight corners . With layers I had a great ride, the only downside was the Blue ridge parkway (cold...more layers) and the leaf lookers, slow cars gawking at the scenery.

The area if beautiful in the fall and traffic is way less than in summer obviously, makes for for great days of riding, as long as you bring the proper gear.

Been down there 3 times in the fall and it was amazing each time! Dress properly and you will have a blast!

I got myself a Tourmaster Transitions 3 Jacket so I think ill be fine in the torso. I dont have heated grips tho. Im gonna look for proper warm gloves.

Heated clothing is where it's at - if you are up for it. I have heated gloves, full jacket and socks and they have all come in handy - gloves and jacket almost every day in the mornings and evenings and often at higher elevations. Heated socks helped when it was raining and cold for long stretches.

Make sure your warm gloves are at least waterproof.

Im gonna look for proper warm gloves

I have heated glove liners that work very well. They are thin enough to go under most gloves.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/41236/i/firstgear-warm-and-safe-heated-glove-liners

BUt 100% your over gloves need to be waterproof if you do not have heated grips....you lose so much heat through your hands that hypothermia sets in very quickly....ask my kid about that ....and it was mid June along the Pacific in Northern BC.

With heated grips tho I rode with summer gloves at 10 degrees and rain on the way down tho the Burgman has a lot of wind protection.

A ColdPruf loose overshirt really helps as I've found while the jacket does the core well it gets cold on the arms.
It's extremely thin and yet works well and packs very small.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NBB4V9TSZ9APGPZNNDV

Last edited:
I've been down late October and it was spectacular - I hit the colours pretty well at peak and the weather there fpr was light jacket - but the first night in Kentucky enroute I was scrapping frost off my bike - it was a 4 day trip - 1st night I stayed outside of Lexington, KY - 2nd night I stayed in Tellico Plains then the 3rd night in Cincinatti. Originally I had planned 5 days but one day up here was cold and pouring rain

Back
Top Bottom