1982 rd 350 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1982 rd 350

PaisaMed

I'm thinking of the idea of buying a buddy's '82 RD 350 and restoring it. It has nostalgic value to me as this was the bike I learned to ride on ( not exact bike...mine was a blue & white 1981). Just wondering if I should go ahead with this project. I only want to spend $2,500 - $3,000. Is this a reasonable budget? The bike is complete but will need a thorough engine rebuild, calliper rebuild or new ones. The gas tank has a couple of small dents in it and I want to use it and fix it. The bike has some really trick drop bars and he has a set of Alex Mayes hand built pipes for it. Can anybody who has been done this road before shed some light on this subject. I would like to think that 2 strokes wil have some enduring value. Thoughts, comments, opinions....

If you can do most of the work yourself go for it. (Assuming you have required skills and tools)
If you are going to pay someone to do the work, it can be difficult to find someone to do good work at a fair price.

Instead buy a bike already fixed up like this one for $4,000:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...-rd-350-lc-ring-a-ding-dinger-sold/1096006158

Keep in mind that old bikes have crappy brakes and suspension.
We often remember things better than they were, and upgrading them can be expensive and exceed the cost of the bike.

-Frank
86 VFR

I'm thinking of the idea of buying a buddy's '82 RD 350 and restoring it. It has nostalgic value to me as this was the bike I learned to ride on ( not exact bike...mine was a blue & white 1981). Just wondering if I should go ahead with this project. I only want to spend $2,500 - $3,000. Is this a reasonable budget? The bike is complete but will need a thorough engine rebuild, calliper rebuild or new ones. The gas tank has a couple of small dents in it and I want to use it and fix it. The bike has some really trick drop bars and he has a set of Alex Mayes hand built pipes for it. Can anybody who has been done this road before shed some light on this subject. I would like to think that 2 strokes wil have some enduring value. Thoughts, comments, opinions....

I think its worth doing. I have 3. I have a 82 race bike (the frame is actually a Harris TZ Replica), a 81 street bike and am actually doing another 82 at the moment. This one will be a hybrid with a RZ350 motor.

Good news is that you can still get almost all the parts either from Yamaha or after market and 3K will do a lot of restoration if you can do the work yourself.

Definitely start with the engine rebuild. I always use Yamaha seals and gaskets. The other thing is if its been sitting the crank pins will sometimes get pitted so its a good idea to have the crank pushed apart to check. No point doing all the work if the bottom end fails the first time you start it.

If you do need crank parts I runs these in my race and street bikes. http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Yamaha_RD350LC_Bottom_End_.html A lot of people racing in the YPM series run them and I've hammered them and they perform really well. I run Wiseco pistons in the race bike and Vertex in the street bikes. Most of the other parts you can still get from Yamaha.

Willy at WASP in ajax is one of the best on Yamaha twins if you need crank work or machining. There is also Vance at Precision Cycle in Oshawa

I would also join http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/ There is a lot of knowledge on there.

Norbo in the UK has a lot of cool trick bits and pieces

In terms of final value I would be surprised to see a pristine example get much more than $3.5k in Canada so if you are doing it for an investment you may be lucky to break even.

One other thing to watch out for - it's had to find a good tank. All of mine leaked at one time or another. I ended up brazing them and using POR15 and touchwood, they have been fine.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questoins.

Last edited:
I have a 82(in '81 colours)
Spent a **** load to do a nut and bolt resto.( not concours but lots of stainless)i wanted a "new" rd350lc, which i feel i accomplished.

You have to restore one because you love it, you will NEVER get your money out of it . I knew that going in, no regrets.

Willie did my crank , expensive, but the best usually is( put ten thou km's since rebuild.
As J2 says yamaha seals, and Gaskets only, at the minimum head gasket and base Must be yamaha.
I run wiseco ( rz350) pistons ( just make sure you warm up motor before letting loose)
Roger @ snow city is great to deal with ( they have the fiche)
Fell free to email me

Wilsonmills@rogers.com

Gerry

Last edited:
Thank you guys. I have not pulled the trigger yet on the bike. My buddy has a 89 RZ 350 as well as the 82 RD and I think I'm going to offer for both.

I build several of these motors each year, so to give you an idea of what it will cost:
4 crank bearings(OEM) $300 (I use KOYO. Better bearings and MUCH cheaper)
Rod kit (x2)(ProX or Hot Rod) $240
pistons (x2) $300/Wiseco $220 for ProX
Seals $70
Gasket kit $65
Clutch kit $120 (Use a YZ250 clutch)
Clutch basket $260 (or $400 for a billet basket)
Lap the head $75
Lap the cylinders $75
Change the squish for unleaded $200
Clean the carbs $150
Reeds $65 > $250
Water pump bush $45... and maybe an impeller
That would be the MINIMUM in parts, and I did not include any labour... and that's just the motor. The transmission bearings are 35 years old too. Don't be surprised if the shift drum is foobarred... there's another $450.
You will also need rad hoses, brake hoses, calipers rebuilt, master cylinders rebuilt, wheel bearings, tires and of course pipes.
It all adds up quickly huh?

Spent a **** load to do a nut and bolt resto.( not concours but lots of stainless)i wanted a "new" rd350lc, which i feel i accomplished.

You have to restore one because you love it, you will NEVER get your money out of it . I knew that going in, no regrets.

Willie did my crank , expensive, but the best usually is( put ten thou km's since rebuild.
As J2 says yamaha seals, and Gaskets only, at the minimum head gasket and base Must be yamaha.
I run wiseco ( rz350) pistons ( just make sure you warm up motor before letting loose)
Roger @ snow city is great to deal with ( they have the fiche)
Fell free to email me

Wilsonmills@rogers.com

Gerry

Willy's the best :) He's entertaining as well.

Where did you get your stainless hardware? I'm doing a Hybrid at the moment and don't want to send all the bolts off to get them replated as its not going to be original. Buying through ProBolt is very expensive and its hard to get the right thread pitch from Brafasco for M8 and M10 bolts in stainless.

You did accomplish that - she's a beaut.

Willy's the best :) He's entertaining as well.

Where did you get your stainless hardware? I'm doing a Hybrid at the moment and don't want to send all the bolts off to get them replated as its not going to be original. Buying through ProBolt is very expensive and its hard to get the right thread pitch from Brafasco for M8 and M10 bolts in stainless.

Sorry for late reply, bought all my bolts on ebay in bulk, plus some sets from "rdcrazy" in the uk

Back
Top Bottom