1 night trip to Adironacks/Lake PLacid | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1 night trip to Adironacks/Lake PLacid

...actually, I might head down that way next week just for a very long day...maybe overnight somewhere. If this weather keeps up it will be very tempting.
I will be leaving Tuesday Morning

I am about to work on the route right now. I will post it once I do and get some feedback from you guys
Mine will be a Friday depending on what work throws at me. Do you have a route yet? This weather is so nice.

Ok so here it is the plan and route:

Leave at 7am on Tuesday to get to the ferry by the 930 crossing. Stay in the Montreal Hotel that evening - I know it is a long way but I should be getting there just as it gets dark. Then next day tour around that area for a bit and head back.

Plan B is if things go wrong and I am running late, i will by-pass white face.

https://goo.gl/maps/g7reYMvkpZA2

That looks pretty close to the loop I did apart from the westerly bit. I went south from Tupper lake to get to Lake George on my way out. You should enjoy that though. Just a warning..the Montreal motel is no frills! It was good for me at $50ish (I made a fuss over my CDN debit card not working and the poor exchange rate and got the $50 US cash offer YMMV) pretty quiet, clean, not far from town, good parking for bike. If you haven't booked it yet though look at Hotwire for lake George and you might well be able to get a better (or similar) deal at a nicer place maybe with breakfast. There's tons of motels on the lakeside strip. Be careful with routes as there's a 9N and a route 9 on the eastern side of your loop. Whiteface is definitely fun if you can fit it in. Watch the weather though..too cloudy and you'll see nothing from the summit and it's going to be a little chilly up there now I'm guessing. My favourite part of the ride was roads north from Lake George and then west through Lake Placid, if you have little or no traffic you'll have a blast, just watch the entrances to the small towns for the obligatory cop.

That looks pretty close to the loop I did apart from the westerly bit. I went south from Tupper lake to get to Lake George on my way out. You should enjoy that though. Just a warning..the Montreal motel is no frills! It was good for me at $50ish (I made a fuss over my CDN debit card not working and the poor exchange rate and got the $50 US cash offer YMMV) pretty quiet, clean, not far from town, good parking for bike. If you haven't booked it yet though look at Hotwire for lake George and you might well be able to get a better (or similar) deal at a nicer place maybe with breakfast. There's tons of motels on the lakeside strip. Be careful with routes as there's a 9N and a route 9 on the eastern side of your loop. Whiteface is definitely fun if you can fit it in. Watch the weather though..too cloudy and you'll see nothing from the summit and it's going to be a little chilly up there now I'm guessing. My favourite part of the ride was roads north from Lake George and then west through Lake Placid, if you have little or no traffic you'll have a blast, just watch the entrances to the small towns for the obligatory cop.
Perfect that means that I am not way off with my times and it is possible.

Thanks for all the help guys! specially JC100!

Now up to loading the map on my 3 different GPS devices I have, never again will I depend on only one lol

Definitely possible with times if you set off early on the way back but you have that extra 2h slog back to the GTA. You'll probably have to cross via the 1000 islands bridge on the way back unless you're on target to get the last ferry back to Wolf Island from Cape Vincent but if it was me I'd do the 1000 islands bridge just because it's going to be a bit quicker on the way back as you can exit on I81 north of Watertown if you come back via the north side of Fort Drum and you're not far and you'll probably be a bit knackered? The hotel just across the way from the Montreal motel on the same side of the street heading towards downtown has a decent breakfast, not cheap but it's handy for an early start. Pro tip...the grocery store in town (forgotten what it's called but it's not too far from the motel on the opposite side of the Main Street but down a little side street) has a pick and mix selection of single craft beers in the booze section. Also...the Mexican place in Lake George is OK but I found it pricey...there's a burrito shack too but I didn't try that one. From what I remember there weren't too many cheap eats options in Lake Placid.

I just had a closer look at your route....more fun on the 9 or 9N than I87 on the easterly side north of Lake George. The 9 kind of shadows the I87 for a while so you don't lose too much time but the 9N has great views along the lake and some nice elevation changes and you can swing back in to get the 73 to Lake Placid.

ah yea, that was a mistake, I meant to use the 9N, good catch, thanks

Here is the revised https://goo.gl/maps/dXaovbYqi3x

I just had a closer look at your route....more fun on the 9 or 9N than I87 on the easterly side north of Lake George. The 9 kind of shadows the I87 for a while so you don't lose too much time but the 9N has great views along the lake and some nice elevation changes and you can swing back in to get the 73 to Lake Placid.

Last edited:
Exact same route I did on my way home. Nearly all of it was fun....even with the lower speed limits at points. On the 73 there's lots of stopping places for various hiking routes, there's a couple on some scenic lakes worth a stop. Lots of gas stops on the 9N near any of the towns too. Watch out for Lycra clad lunatics too.

I was wondering about gas, at about 200k i need to start finding gas, PA is a pain in the ***, how is this area for gas stations?
Exact same route I did on my way home. Nearly all of it was fun....even with the lower speed limits at points. On the 73 there's lots of stopping places for various hiking routes, there's a couple on some scenic lakes worth a stop. Lots of gas stops on the 9N near any of the towns too. Watch out for Lycra clad lunatics too.

I just used hotwire (never used it before) - Got the Montreal Hotel for $55 Canadian. Awesome.

Last edited:
I was wondering about gas, at about 200k i need to start finding gas, PA is a pain in the ***, how is this area for gas stations?

I just used hotwire (never used it before) - Got the Montreal Hotel for $55 Canadian. Awesome.

You got a better deal than me but watch the taxes and any fees. I was worried about gas too as I'd not been to that part of the Adirondacks but pretty much every town on your route has a gas station around. I think the longest time without gas was a stretch on the 73 until Lake Placid but it's not that far. I have a 300+km tank range and never had a problem filling up with a half tank indicated. From what I remember Bolton on the 9N has a gas station at the north end of town and that's where I filled up for trips around Lake George. Google shows a fair few if you put "gas station" in for the others. There's one in Keene before you head off to Lake Placid too it seems. In short, not an issue. One time I was a little low was on the slog back to Watertown just before Fort Drum but I found one no problem. If you have GPS you'll be fine with a "search near".

There's a neat bar not far from Motel Montreal with bike only parking and a big deck up top with live music, downstairs is a shop that sells bike week related souvenirs etc. I think closer to the lake down the side of that bar is a place with half decent food and a massive deck with lake view too. I had crabcakes there and they were OK...nothing to write home about but the view was awesome watching paddle steamers go across the lake. In town there's a little military museum that sells stuff too...neat place to drop in and the owner is very friendly and will chat about the stuff he collects. Got to be honest, I enjoyed Lake George more than Lake Placid as it didn't have a stuffy atmosphere.... way more down to earth. Definitely will be back.

My credit card got charged 68 Canadian with fees and taxes, I paid like 100 US in State College a few weeks ago so this is a deal

Admiral Motel in Lake George!
They will look after you.

Rob

Admiral Motel in Lake George!
They will look after you.

Rob
Thanks but I already paid for the Montreal Hotel.

All packed up and ready to go - Weather sucks but I got good rain gear, a gerbing heated jacket and heated Oxford grips (0 degrees on Wednesday in Lake George)

This time I will actually try and take pictures and post

What is the reason that someone would go via Montreal, rather than Kingston, Ogdensburg or Cornwall?

What is the reason that someone would go via Montreal, rather than Kingston, Ogdensburg or Cornwall?

Can't see any reason to unless you're coming back from Vermont and need to get home quick. Choices are long 401 slog or scenic mountain vistas on twisty roads?

Ah o.k. I was thinking that the Ogdensburg bridge might be a little too daunting for a motorcycle. It's high and long and steel.
up-DODIKTMEINN5H94V.jpg

Back
Top Bottom