1 night trip to Adironacks/Lake PLacid | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1 night trip to Adironacks/Lake PLacid

New York has an agreement with Ontario for sharing ticketing info.....one reason I prefer PA and points south.
Good to know. I normally on these rides I try to enjoy the scenery and don't go too crazy speed wise plus I am riding a FZ09 with stock suspension so can't really do the "fullesnish" I used to.

New York has an agreement with Ontario for sharing ticketing info.....one reason I prefer PA and points south.

My sentiments exactly. Even on my way to PA I tiptoe my way through NY state at exactly the speed limit.

From what I've seen with NY State and somewhere like 5mph or more over the limit can be bad news if the cops are around but for what it's worth I think it's worse on the Syracuse side than the Adirondack side. I saw way less cops on the roads in the Adirondacks than near Syracuse with the exception of Lake Placid town...I saw a ton there and some were in the process of ticketing some bikes but that seemed to be for parking violations I think.

Only near the towns did you really need to be careful but the warning was when the state limit went to 40mph. Elsewhere things were fine...I was on interstate 87 for a little while I think and may have got carried away as I saw little bobbles of melted rubber on my tires after a run tying to ge home before the deer came out to play. Watch what the locals do is the key, luckily I had plenty of decoys.

Good call on taking an extra day, you can have way more fun that way. Ride to Ausable Chasm and have a mooch about (look on the web to see if it's your kind of thing) or Fort Ticonderoga or down to Lake George on the 9N. If you go to Lake George head to the Montreal Motel and see if you can pay cash for a room...should be about $50 and it's pretty clean. Lots of places to eat nearby, you're a 5 min walk to town. South of Lake George is a 6 flags resort too I think.

If that is the case, then why do so many flock to Lake Placid then, vs going further south (assuming this arrest thing is just NY state and not others)? It's bad enough here in Ontario with points and insurance...why travel to the US and ride in a state where the tickets and points still matter, plus if you go ~10km/h over the limit, you will likely get pulled over and thrown in jail?

Thanks - I will be leaving Tuesday the 29th so I have some time to figure out my route, I am sure with everything you guys gave me I should have more than enough for a 2 or 3 day ride down there.
From what I've seen with NY State and somewhere like 5mph or more over the limit can be bad news if the cops are around but for what it's worth I think it's worse on the Syracuse side than the Adirondack side. I saw way less cops on the roads in the Adirondacks than near Syracuse with the exception of Lake Placid town...I saw a ton there and some were in the process of ticketing some bikes but that seemed to be for parking violations I think.

Only near the towns did you really need to be careful but the warning was when the state limit went to 40mph. Elsewhere things were fine...I was on interstate 87 for a little while I think and may have got carried away as I saw little bobbles of melted rubber on my tires after a run tying to ge home before the deer came out to play. Watch what the locals do is the key, luckily I had plenty of decoys.

Good call on taking an extra day, you can have way more fun that way. Ride to Ausable Chasm and have a mooch about (look on the web to see if it's your kind of thing) or Fort Ticonderoga or down to Lake George on the 9N. If you go to Lake George head to the Montreal Motel and see if you can pay cash for a room...should be about $50 and it's pretty clean. Lots of places to eat nearby, you're a 5 min walk to town. South of Lake George is a 6 flags resort too I think.

If that is the case, then why do so many flock to Lake Placid then, vs going further south (assuming this arrest thing is just NY state and not others)? It's bad enough here in Ontario with points and insurance...why travel to the US and ride in a state where the tickets and points still matter, plus if you go ~10km/h over the limit, you will likely get pulled over and thrown in jail?

Like I said, big difference between the eastern and western sides of upper NY state in my opinion. With many of the roads in the Adirondacks the 55 limit is still entertaining and I wasn't doing 55 at all. Keep an eye on the locals....if they're going slow there's a reason. I've never seen arrests of Ontario plate car drivers on the roads...just seen them get ticketed so I think you may be talking about rare occurrences or where the driver decided to have a smart mouth.

For me from Kingston, I can set out early in the morning and feasibly do a nice big loop of the Adirondacks, hit some nice mountain roads and be back for a late supper. That's why I'd choose the area. The whole police thing isn't a reason for me to avoid the area as even if I have to tootle at the speed limit the scenery is really very very good.

Finally, variety is the spice of life. I like the people in upper NY state, always found them very friendly and down to earth.

If that is the case, then why do so many flock to Lake Placid then

Many are not aware of the risks or the sometimes heavy police presence on the weekends - around Placid and Saranac it's a zoo at times.

If you are willing to cruise the speed limit and sight see it's a fine area to ride and Whiteface is a treat. But anywhere in New York is a risk.
You wanna blitz twists....PA has it all.

I talked to a cop that was hiding behind a bunch of logs and brush.....( I stopped for directions ).

He said they were'nt concerned about bikes....the state welcomes them as they bring in good money to the economy...it was the trucks he was after.

Any state that does this
Motorcycles_Evwhre_Title.jpg

watch-for-motorcycles.gif

A.B.A.T.E. of PA began, while members completely funded, this motorcycle awareness campaign in 2005 with a distribution of 1,000 signs. In 2006, we increased our order to 2,500 signs, and in 2007 A.B.A.T.E. of PA ordered and distributed 6,500 signs. In 2008 we ordered and distributed 10,000 more signs and in 2009 we are distributing 4,000 more.

The "Look Twice - SAVE A LIFE" Lawn Sign Campaign has generated substantial awareness of, and interest in (as reflected in radio, TV and newspaper coverage), the visibility and right-of-way issues facing motorcyclists.

We instruct our members to place the signs on more heavily traveled roadways for maximum exposure. With an increase in the number of new signs (plus those signs that have survived from previous years) our cost-per-thousand impressions statewide is dramatically less than any other form of advertising we have attempted (radio, print, billboards or TV).

Our "Look Twice - Save A Life" message is having an impact in improving motorcycle awareness and safety among the general motoring public and motorcyclists throughout Pennsylvania.

can't be all bad ( fracking is horrid there )>

http://www.abatepa.org/Common_pages/Motorcycles_Everywhere.html

We went riding down the 144 and this time (on the GSXR750) we were doing a crazy pace, mostly racers and a couple of street riders, one of them end up crashing and since I was leading I got really nervous that I was going to encounter serious problems with the police. One of the cars we passed was carrying the nurse attending the accident victim and her statement was that we went by really fast.

To my surprise, the state trooper was awesome, guy didn't ask us any questions as he already knew what happened, he explained what hospital we had to go to and hanged with us for a while just chatting while the ambulance showed up, then he before leaving said "Is there anything else I can help you guys with", I was like wow, if this was in Ontario, I would be in the back of a patrol car. So yea PA is awesome!

Guy end up transported by ambulance until a spot where the helicopter could land, part of the reason I no longer ride crazy and stick to nice scenic riders with some decent pace portions.

Last edited:
Ehhh....I won't say that worrying about police activity is the last thing on my mind when riding or picking destinations, but it's certainly very near one of the last things on my mind. If you read through some of the threads here on this forum you'd think there's no point in riding around the GTA anywhere ffs.

Common sense is all that's needed...that and some muscle memory for the right wrist and a working pair of eyes.

I'll say that I was lucky. When I went they were still hunting those two escaped prisoners. I came around a corner maybe a little above the speed limit leaned right over to a state trooper road block. All armed. Army there. Helicopter etc. The trooper asked me to open my visor, looked at my plate and said "canada... you ain't them. Slow the hell down and have a good ride" pure luck. After that I toned it down a tad :lmao:

I know some friends that have gone yearly for a few days. I think they use Shaheen's Motel as a staging ground...it's by Tupper Lake:

http://www.shaheensmotel.com/

Rode past this place on Sunday.
I made a mental note of it as it looked nice and kept up/renovated.
Plus the crazy stylized "S" caught my attention.
:)

Last edited:
Like I said, big difference between the eastern and western sides of upper NY state in my opinion. With many of the roads in the Adirondacks the 55 limit is still entertaining and I wasn't doing 55 at all. Keep an eye on the locals....if they're going slow there's a reason. I've never seen arrests of Ontario plate car drivers on the roads...just seen them get ticketed so I think you may be talking about rare occurrences or where the driver decided to have a smart mouth.

For me from Kingston, I can set out early in the morning and feasibly do a nice big loop of the Adirondacks, hit some nice mountain roads and be back for a late supper. That's why I'd choose the area. The whole police thing isn't a reason for me to avoid the area as even if I have to tootle at the speed limit the scenery is really very very good.

Finally, variety is the spice of life. I like the people in upper NY state, always found them very friendly and down to earth.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is also why I really enjoy going there. Super-nice and friendly folks.
Not only do they maintain and look after their (awesome) roads, the scenery is pretty incredible.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is also why I really enjoy going there. Super-nice and friendly folks.
Not only do they maintain and look after their (awesome) roads, the scenery is pretty incredible.
Both trips there for me this year we're the same. Friendly folks everywhere I went. It was a nice change

I will create a route and post here for opinions

I will create a route and post here for opinions

Sounds like an open invite

*heard it's beautiful over there, had a trip planned in June but had to back out last minute :/ sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The number of driver and riders over there that move at well below the speed limit was pretty interesting. I'm fine with moving at the limit and not asking for people to speed, but over and over folks were doing 40 in a 55 and nonsense like that. Lot's to like about the area though.

You are welcome to join, I can do solo or with company as long as people don't like parking the bike for hours every 200km, that just pisses me off.
Sounds like an open invite

*heard it's beautiful over there, had a trip planned in June but had to back out last minute :/ sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question -- I can't believe it is true, but I have heard rumors that police in New York state can arrest you for speeding, if they wish. A quick Google seems to state they have the power to do this, but based on comments from friends it almost sounds like Ontario license + sportbike + 10-20mph over the limit could mean getting arrested...similar to how Quebec police seem to like to hassle people with Ontario licenses/plates. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Been there done that, except for the SS part - I was on a Ninja 250!!! After we arrived at the station, we all ate some delicious stuffed peppers that some cop's wife cooked earlier that day, and went on a ride on the interceptor to the drive thru ATM so I can take out cash for my own bailout.

Good to know. I normally on these rides I try to enjoy the scenery and don't go too crazy speed wise plus I am riding a FZ09 with stock suspension so can't really do the "fullesnish" I used to.

Read few lines above :cool:

While this is true, it also depends whether the cop is a State Police (OPP), or local town cop. Given some people's and my experiences, town cops don't report back to ON.

Another reason to prefer PA is the lack of cops compared to NY.

So I am leaving next week and I am yet to prepare a route or book a hotel..... procrastinator WHAT!!!

Last edited:
So I am leaving next week and I am yet to prepare a route or book a hotel..... procrastinator WHAT!!!

Shouldnt be too bad. The leaves aren't turning yet, everything is still very green so the fall colours crowd might not be in force.

...actually, I might head down that way next week just for a very long day...maybe overnight somewhere. If this weather keeps up it will be very tempting.

Back
Top Bottom