Getting my tire patched | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting my tire patched

Socaboy

Hey Everyone
I'm new to riding and this site. I woke up this morning to find that I have a slow leak in my rear tire I found the culprit, a small nail. I called around to a few places but nobody will touch patching the tire yet they sell the motorcycle patch kit for bikes at Canadian Tire. Does anyone know of a motorcycle shop close to yonge and sheppard that will patch the tire for me? Your help is greatly appreciated and needed!

I'd be surprised to find a motorcycle patch repair kit at CanTire. I searched their web site and did not find one. They do have tire patch repair kits at Princess Auto, Sheppard/McCowan. I've patched an auto tire, it was not difficult, and the patch held air no problems for over a year. There is a solvent you can get with the kit that chemically melts the rubber plug/insert so there is an air tight seal.

Frankly I'd be more careful with a motorcycle tire. If one gives out and you're travelling at speed you might be in trouble and crash. Where is the hole? If it is on the sidewall I would not even attempt it. I think auto tires are thicker on the tread and might hold the patch material better. For a motorcycle you might want to buy a new tire.

Can I be that guy? Bike tires relatively aren't expensive. They're also what's keeping you upright. To me a hole in one would mean instant replacement. :dontknow:

Plugs are a temp fix, patch plugs are good for the long run. I only use plugs to get home as a temp fix

For a long term fix if you cant afford a new tire, have a plug patch installed from the inside of the tire. Not the road side plug type that goes in from the outside

I have these for short temp fix, and road side emergency
8797142974494.jpg

And these for a long term fix, and I only buy quality WURTH brand plugs no Princess Auto made in China junk
lib_tirerepair2_270.jpg

I could help you out but I am located in Mississauga

The right rear tire of my car has 3 plugs in it ... The last one has been in there for a year.

The right rear tire of my car has 3 plugs in it ... The last one has been in there for a year.

I have one in my truck but its a mushroom type, its been in there for 4 years, I got a nail in the tire the first week I put them on my truck and they are $500 each....So plugged it is, its an off road tire so I am unable to un mount it myself and the steel belting is so thick nothing but that mushroom type would go into it without getting ripped apart.

On the bike I would not trust it, I ride sport bikes with modern sport type tires, and Ive had the plug types come out eventually over time. So for now and on they are used just to get me home but once Im there I take the extra time to install the patch from the inside

I doubt any bike shop will install a plug for you in a motorcycle tire, maybe one of those fly by night bike shops but any of the big time shops I could see them saying no due to liability. In fact Ive heard of people being turned away already

I've always used and left the temp plugs in my car tires without any problems, but I wouldn't take the chance on my bike.

Hey Everyone
I'm new to riding and this site. I woke up this morning to find that I have a slow leak in my rear tire I found the culprit, a small nail. I called around to a few places but nobody will touch patching the tire yet they sell the motorcycle patch kit for bikes at Canadian Tire. Does anyone know of a motorcycle shop close to yonge and sheppard that will patch the tire for me? Your help is greatly appreciated and needed!
If the nail was near the center of the tire: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/autom...t&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

On sale too! :)

CanTire sell the stick string patches. I've used it before on a rear tire and had it last a full season till the tread was worn off the tire. Your mileage may vary. If they come out, it will be a slow leak again.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-car-tubeless-tire-repair-kit-0092139p.html#.VekAUPlVhBc
Considering you have to drill the "little hole" bigger before putting the rope in, if it comes out, it'll be leaking a heck of a lot faster than it did before you plugged it :)

a94852b0569e9568d2c73e65a4df496d.jpg

Picked up this little hitch hiker on the weekend down in the Catskill mountians.
Back on the road in under 3 min and 1200kms later it's still rite where I put it.
I'm due for tires anyway so no big deal but if they were new I would just patch/plug from the inside like Jonny suggested. Those installed correctly will not leak or come out.

I'm only using mushroom patches, they are secure and won't pull out. The extra security is worth the work.

Plugs are a temp fix, patch plugs are good for the long run. I only use plugs to get home as a temp fix

For a long term fix if you cant afford a new tire, have a plug patch installed from the inside of the tire. Not the road side plug type that goes in from the outside

I have these for short temp fix, and road side emergency
8797142974494.jpg

And these for a long term fix, and I only buy quality WURTH brand plugs no Princess Auto made in China junk
lib_tirerepair2_270.jpg

I could help you out but I am located in Mississauga

PRINCESS AUTO ONES ARE CRAP. Yes I'm yelling.

I tried using one of their kits and both the tool and plugs were garbage. I bought decent stuff from a reputable auto supply and they work.

A lot of PA stuff is OK but if it's a safety item like a tire repair, don't shop for a bargain.

If you've never done a plug before it may not be what you think.

a94852b0569e9568d2c73e65a4df496d.jpg

Picked up this little nail on the weekend down in the Catskill mountians.
Back on the road in under 3 min and 1200kms later it's still rite where I put it.
I'm due for tires anyway so no big deal but if they were new I would just patch/plug from the inside like Jonny suggested. Those installed correctly will not leak or come out.

Do you carry a compressor.. or bicycle pump as well as the patch kit?? good idea !
I have patched ATC /V , motorcycle, and lots of car tires ,, and I have faith in the plugs,,, but the T patch looks much better,, altho it takes a few more tools to install... as well as the inside of the tire must be ground or sanded flat to seal..

the other suggestion is the green snot liquid ... I have used it with complete success on ATC /V tires.. and auto tires up to LT ... but no experience with motorcycle tires.
a couple of auto mfgr are omitting the spare , and including the pump / gooop installation kit as a flat repair alternative ...
just my 2 cents .

Do you carry a compressor.. or bicycle pump as well as the patch kit?? good idea !
I have patched ATC /V , motorcycle, and lots of car tires ,, and I have faith in the plugs,,, but the T patch looks much better,, altho it takes a few more tools to install... as well as the inside of the tire must be ground or sanded flat to seal..

the other suggestion is the green snot liquid ... I have used it with complete success on ATC /V tires.. and auto tires up to LT ... but no experience with motorcycle tires.
a couple of auto mfgr are omitting the spare , and including the pump / gooop installation kit as a flat repair alternative ...
just my 2 cents .

Slime and similar materials have some issues with cleaning rims on the next tire change and possibly balance.

One rider used Slime and a plug and when he changed the tire he found out that the plug was about to fall out. There is a possible chemistry mismatch between plugs and Slime.

Hey Everyone

If you're new to riding and aren't pushing your limits, a patch plug installed from the inside of your tire as Johnny636 posted is your best bet. I had one for 2 years and it was fine, even with some aggressive riding. Stay away from the do-it-yourself string patches as they can pop out.

Having a flat tire is always a pain in the ***, that is why I always make sure to have a Rugged Ridge tire repair kit always. it very handy not only with my bikes but also with our cars and truck. Bought it online thru 4 Wheel Online, got it for $30 a kit.

Back
Top Bottom