Yamaha Canada - No Accountability | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha Canada - No Accountability

ZX600

Site Supporter
My 2014 FZ09 has an issue with a defective part (Cam Chain Tensioner). Basically the part does not provide the proper tension and after a period of time you can hear a tic tic loud noise inside the engine covers.

Brought the bike to Snow City, they said Yamaha had sent a technical memo about it. The Service Advisor said that they would order a replacement part and I would have to come in to get it installed.

Next day Snow City calls me and said that Yamaha Canada didn't approve the replacement of the part and that I had to come in for an adjustment to be done.

So me (The paying customer) had to:
1- Bring the bike to snow city for the tech to accept that there is an issue with the CCT
2- Bring the bike again to have the "adjustment" done
3- Bring the bike again when the adjustment failed the next day for the tech to check if the issue is back (then finally the part is ordered)
4- Bring the bike again so that the part is installed.

Snow City tried to do the right thing which was to replace the part the first time but they weren't allowed.

Called Yamaha Canada to complaint and they gave me a bunch of BS and completely blamed Snow City for making me come back 4 times.

Yamaha Canada are trying to save a few bucks on the back of their customers hoping we will get fedup and just go and buy the part ourselves or we do a work around that is floating on the FZ09 forum instead of taking responsibility for a part that is defective and they know about it. Never mind the attitude and rude manner in which i was treated by their customer service.

DO as you may with this information next time you are trying to decide which bike to buy, I know it isn't going to be Yamaha for me.

Any luck sharing your issue on their social media?

Are you selling the bike because of it? or keeping it and fixing the issue yourself?
They might reimburse you later down the road if they issue an official recall, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The Yamaha tick has been around forever on just about all their bikes. Guess it's more prevalent on the FZ.

Some companies are better at customer service than others.
Honda for example would probably have taken the hit for the part, because they know that you would probably buy another Honda in the future.
Other companies have shorter term goals, meaning they didn't want to pay for the part or have a recall on record.

Sounds typical of almost all vehicle manufacturers to me.

Subaru of Brampton sold me a car with warped brake discs, billed me for replacement immediately after I got it. Complained to Subaru Canada and after a 2 year investigation they said the dealership did nothing wrong at all. They also told me a defective clutch was normal, 1 full inch of steering play is normal, not going into reverse is normal (3 mechanics pointed out the problem to me so they obviously didn't think it was normal), getting your car back with the steering wheel pointing at 45 degrees after an alignment is normal, etc. I even had another dealership telling me that Brampton was screwing me around. Subaru Canada said it was all fine.

But good to know about Yamaha.

BRP does same stuff. On the Can Am forums for ATV's it was well documented their beefed up Power sterring on ATV units was causing the new gen frames to crack for months and months they denied their was an issue. Guys were having to replace three week old frames etc. They blamed it on jumping the bikes, crashes, (with no other apparent damage), and just plain old misuse.

Eventually they announced they "had the fix" Even though the week before they were still denying an issue existed..lol But I must say they did in the end step up they reparied cracked ones, reimbursed those before, and installed bracket to prevent the issue, plus redisgned the frame in that area on the 2014 models. Then shockingly they increased the warranty on the frames from the standard six months to a full 7 YEARS!

They don't allow comments on their facebook page and the only area I could enter a comment is hidden away, I copied and pasted this post in every single comment from any post they had but I am not holding my breath.

To be honest I don't want anything from them, all I want is for them to take responsibility and stop dicking their customers around.
DOn't expect a recall, they may get lucky and some units might not have the issue but at least when the customer complains of an issue and the tech verifies it, get the part replaced and don't make me go back 4 times.

The customer service rep kept blaming Snow City, so I asked who installed the defective part on the bike, had to ask 4 times and each time he would change the topic until the end he said "I am not going to be playing these games with you" WTF does that mean, I asked who installed the part on the bike because it was Yamaha and not snow city.

Are you selling the bike because of it? or keeping it and fixing the issue yourself?
They might reimburse you later down the road if they issue an official recall, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The Yamaha tick has been around forever on just about all their bikes. Guess it's more prevalent on the FZ.

There all the same. Honda has a recall on my 2015 CB500X for a faulty ignition switch issue. I have to bring the bike in to get inspected, if it does not need to be replaced I get the bike back in about an hour, if not, I have to leave bike at shop for a minimum of 2 days so that dealership can get the parts in from Honda Canada. Honda Canada is not stocking the dealers with the replacement parts until an actual confirmation of the requirement. Honda's problem, my inconvenience. So much for Honda Canada's service/warranty.

You gonna get an APE CCT to replace it?

The problem to is that here we have this culture of been complacent when these kinds of issues happen. Most people (from what i read on the FZ09 forum) are just going and spending 100+ on their own cam chain tensioner or are doing a work around of buying a longer screw.

This is the attitude that allows these companies to get away with this kind of crap.

You gonna get an APE CCT to replace it?
See lol NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - I am not letting this one go, Yamaha Canada is going to replace the part for free. Then once they do, I am going to go and buy the APE and replace it myself :)

Question of principle !

Looking this up quickly I see that there's a gearbox recall for the FZ09. Did you get that done? how'd that go?

Report Receipt Date: March 25, 2015
NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V176000
Component(s): Powertrain
Potential Number of Units Affected: 4,900
Manufacturer: Yamaha Motor Corporation
Yeah, totally agree. If you have to already upgrade the suspension, new CCT, this, that, why did you buy this bike in the first place?

That recall is for the 2015 - there is a part that has sharp edges instead of round potentially causing issues. Mine is a 2014 and does not have that issue.

I am ok with the suspension, I knew it when I bought it and have done some adjustments to make it better, the CCT issue I didn't sign up for.

Looking this up quickly I see that there's a gearbox recall for the FZ09. Did you get that done? how'd that go?

Yeah, totally agree. If you have to already upgrade the suspension, new CCT, this, that, why did you buy this bike in the first place?

Why buy this bike, one reason only

040215-2014-yamaha-fz-09-wheelie.jpg

Are manufacturers seriously still getting CCTs wrong?

From their facebook page just now:

• Reply · about an hour ago

• Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd. Hi Paulo Campos If you want to DM us your email address, I will see that customer service follows up with you. Thanks
      Like · Reply · 5 minutes ago

• Paulo Campos I have already spoken to customer Service, their "Service" was less than satisfactory. I just want Yamaha Canada to take responability for a defective part and stop putting the onus on us the paying customers and blaming the Dealerships. You put the defective part on my bike, don't make me go back 4 times! unreasonable?

That is so frustrating and I'm just an onlooker...I can't imagine how you feel, OP! For what it's worth, I am in the market and was strongly considering the R3...now, not so sure. Yamaha, I'm sure that whoever reads this thread would reconsider as well. You're not the only bike manufacturer out there, you know.

That freaking CS should be fired on the spot for that garbage...or at least severely reprimanded and retrained. 'Stop playing games w/ me!', dunno whether to LOL or blow a gasket. WTH kinda 'service' is that?

No throwing burritos at the screen. First their suspension... now this? Seriously though I'd be ******. Hopefully you get somewhere with them

Btw, what is this "Yamaha tick" you speak of? Not looking good. Kawi...Honda....my money coming to you lol.

Snow City ordered the part, they will install it when it comes in - This is about Yamaha not making me jump through hoops to FINALLY approve the part replacement

When the Cam Chain Tensioner is lose, the chain will hit the casing and produce a noise, in extreme cases it can jump and cause damage to the engine
Btw, what is this "Yamaha tick" you speak of?

Back
Top Bottom