Upshifting from 1 -> 2 gets stuck at neutral (CBR250RA 2012) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Upshifting from 1 -> 2 gets stuck at neutral (CBR250RA 2012)

DJ-RK

I've been finding that I've been getting that embarrassing shift into neutral, rather than 2nd gear, a little bit too often lately. I just switched back from Rotella T6 to Honda GN4 oil about 1000km ago, so that could be a factor... or could possibly be that I'm not kicking up hard enough at those times, but I'm wondering if there's any sort of maintenance I could do that might make that shift a little more smooth? Would lubricating the joint for the shift lever help at all, or would this more likely involve working on the clutch itself?

Kick the shifter harder, or GP shift it.

I have some days where its harder, especially if im going in the 40+ range in 1st gear...

If i don't shift hard (on my cb500x) then it tends to shift to neutral.

I'll try to see if there's any difference once i change the oil

Kick harder, or if you find you are doing it all the time, look into lowering the height of the shift lever. On most bikes, including the CBR250R, there is a rod with two bolts on the end...loosen the bolts, then twist the rod to raise and lower the shift lever. I had to do this on my CBR250R, and really needed to do it on my CBR650F to get things where I liked them.

Also a good idea to check the clutch freeplay as well. If things aren't right, you might not be fully engaging or disengaging the clutch when you pull the lever.

I just did the clutch freeplay slack adjustment this past weekend when I installed my new adjustable shorty levers that finally came in :), but I'll try adjusting the height to lower the lever a bit. Thanks!

CBR250R here. I still occasionally grab neutral... Shifting harder to consciously really bury the shifter up there has helped.

Yes the oil may effect it but, Let me explain one thing,

When you shift from 1-2 or any gear.. But especially 1-2.. Preload.. Meaning Press your foot up against the lever just like you are wanting to shift up and then pull the clutch.. The shift will go into second nice and good.

Essentially you should be applying almost as much strength to make the shift with your foot BUT prior to pulling in your clutch. So that when you do pull clutch it goes up right away.

What you are doing is clutch and shift.. Do not pull clutch and then shift.

If you do this way it doesn't matter what oil you use.

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

No one suggested to adjust the shift lever angle? Adjust it down to have less of a throw.

I did :p My CBR250RA was ok at default, but my CBR650F was terrible. Adjusted it either day one or two.

When you shift from 1-2 or any gear.. But especially 1-2.. Preload.. Meaning Press your foot up against the lever just like you are wanting to shift up and then pull the clutch.. The shift will go into second nice and good.

Essentially you should be applying almost as much strength to make the shift with your foot BUT prior to pulling in your clutch. So that when you do pull clutch it goes up right away.

I typically preload the shift lever most times, but not sure doing it 1st to 2nd is a good idea. Reason being, if you preload in higher gears and conditions are right (eg. you let off the throttle stlightly) you can actually shift without the clutch. In theory, if you preloaded 1st and that happened, the bike would pop into neutral would it not? Personally I'd rather just clutch in and kick it up 'hard' into 2nd, then preload all the other gears...but that's me.

if kicking harder doesn't help you can lower the shift lever a bit. That way you don't kick up as high to get a nice shift.

Bad advice.
DO NOT pre-load the shifter. That is a great way of rounding off the shift dogs.

For the OP: Slow down your shift, make it a deliberate movement. Pull in the clutch , lift the shifter as far as it will go, release the shifter, then release the clutch.

Back
Top Bottom