Anyone with land/farm near GTA would allow pay-per-use to ride dirtbikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone with land/farm near GTA would allow pay-per-use to ride dirtbikes?

Serialize

Site Supporter
Curious, anyone out there with some land in the GTA area that would be interested in allowing pay-per-use for riding a dirtbike?
Don't have any land of my own or know anyone with a farm or land. Looking for somewhere to go ride that's relatively close to Toronto for a quick fix
(just some short and easy rides on weeknight not far away to practice skills and what not). Would be willing to "pay-per-use".

Noooope.

Last edited:
No worries. GTA is a big place. Someone coming from the west end is under an hour to the spot.

Ganaraska for me is like 3 hours away...lol

Yeah I'm a member, lol. But when I signed up at the show didn't realize they ONLY hold races, nothing else.
No open practice, no lapping days, schools, nothing. Kind of wasted buying the membership but I didn't know any better.
Definitely not renewing.

It's tough even with permission and for pay would be an insurance night mare for the land owner.

I'd find an isolated bit of hydro right of way - try googleearth. Will be fun finding anyway.

There is always Chatsworth.

This close to the GTA that would mean farm land and what scares land-owners off are:

a) Insurance liability if you get hurt on their property, even after swearing on a stack of bibles,
b) Afraid the bikes will scare animals/rip up their fileds,
c) You'll litter,
d) That you'll start bringing your friends and asking, "can they ride too, just this once...please...pretty please,"
e) That you'll start chirping about this sweet secret spot you found and all of a sudden there's a shart-storm of bikers he has to deal with.

Pay yer dues and join an association or a club. Or map out your own trails on crown land, where you can get away with multi-use.

Last edited:
man, if I had the land and money I'd make myself a proper private road and dirt track. One of my mom's clients purchased about 60 acres in Belleville for 250,000 when he was 26, he's about 55 now and value has gone up to 250,000-500,000 per ****ING acre!! So if you're still young invest in property not stupid **** that will depreciate, might not get the most enjoyment out of it yourself but your kids/grandkids will always have a place to ride...

This guy also has a commercial building he bought in 98 for 475,000, now its valued at 2 million and he gets a nice 15 grand a month in rent after paying all the bills...not having to do jack ****!! He doesn't even need to work any more but still does just to keep busy.

In today's "take no responsibility" society, I wouldn't even consider letting someone else use my land for ANY purpose. but defintely not for something with a high risk, (compared to say hiking on my land).

The Op suggests a pay per use, once you take money for permitting use of your land, your assuming liability. Even if one were to design a "liability waiver" that would, (if it was upheld in court), waive the liability for the rider, (meaning the rider couldn't sue if injured), but the rider can't waive liability for others who are not "party to the agreement". So basically while the rider may not be able to sue they can't sign away the rights of their family to sue the land owner.

I belong to the provinces largest ATV club, and we have a $5 million dollar liabilty policy, on all the trails, (including those on Crown land), that we manage. We even have a policy to cover liabilty for our board of directors etc.

The owner of the Raglan Pits, had posted no trespassing signs on the property but never took steps to "secure the property and enforce the no trespassing", a rider was technically illegally riding on the property and was injured. The owners were sued sucessfully. Durham Regoinal Police now make regular visits and charge those that they catch on the property.

So unless, someone really doesn't care about their financial well being they would be reckless to permit something like this, on their property

Yes there will always be nay-sayer's and those that want to sit back and say my hands are tied from law and liability and take no risk or have fun haha.
If everyone took it all to heart that severely then we would all eventually take up residence in a bubble (remember bubble boy?).

I think many of us have liability insurance with our greenplated motorcycle for some of the liability concerns being brought up (ganni won't let you ride without liability insurance and plate).
But at the same time I wasn't asking if anyone wants to start up a motocrosstrack or offroad theme park.
Simply just looking for anyone who might be willing to take $20-50 per ride onthe use of their land, somewhere close to the GTA. Not because of lack ofmemberships which I currently have 3 of (member of OFTR, Oshawa club and Ganni annual pass), but just for somewhere close to ride for a quick "fix" on the bike without all the travel. For those of us that work allot of long and crazy hours driving 1-2 hours each time I want to do a quick half hour rip on my dirtbike is not realiztic. It's not a matter of the money; that's just it Iwant to pay to ride but for somewhere close by. So far from the sounds of it (similar to riding on the paved roads) there is not much in/near the GTA (less than1-2 hours' drive away).

Maybe I'll buy some land and have a place to ride eventually, but maybe not (not that easy and land is very expensive).
I think only those that are opposed to this question are posting, would like to hear from the positive side and others that are looking for the same thing.
Otherwise the post is really going nowhere. Lol

Either way thanks for all the feedback so far even if it's not what I was hoping to hear. haha

Last edited:
I know a spot if you want to travel to orangeville. 20 min north of brampton

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My parents used to let people use the woods. Sadly our stupid court system allowing users to successfully sue land owners largely put an end to that. The snowmobile club is still allowed to cross as they have a policy to protect my parents. In the summer, the gates close to keep people out. If we could remove the liability and just allow people to enjoy the outdoors, the gates would open again.

My parents used to let people use the woods. Sadly our stupid court system allowing users to successfully sue land owners largely put an end to that. The snowmobile club is still allowed to cross as they have a policy to protect my parents. In the summer, the gates close to keep people out. If we could remove the liability and just allow people to enjoy the outdoors, the gates would open again.

Certain clubs like the OFTR have insurance coverage to cover land owners, but I don't know how you'd prevent non-OFTR riders from riding on your land if you had a known trail, unless you only opened the gates for an OFTR event and then closed them again.

It is really too bad about all of this liability nonsense... when I was a kid I rode everywhere with very little hassle, no green plates, no insurance, and no permissions. Things have changed so much for the worse since.

This is the best post. There's just too much liability with allowing people to get on your property...

i would suggest planning a weekend of trail riding. go north with some friends, there are dirt bike & atv friendly campsites where you can ride from your camping spot right onto crown land trails. the nearest spot i know is Macdougal (sp?) lake, its about 75 kms north of North bay, off hwy 63. its been about 5 years since ive been there, but at that time we payed $10/ night total for 3 of us. primitive but has potable water and sh*tters. beauty of a beach and decent fishing. ive been living down south ~ 10 yrs now, and finding riding areas for me and the kid was brutal. i realize you dont want to drive more than an hour, but doing a weekend where you can ride and explore countless trails makes it worth the trip. and.....we saw a cow moose with a calf, and also, amazingly, an eastern cougar that sh*t on the road right in front of us! way cool. the campground is government, but run by a contractor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom